under the Lone Star
I think that is known as projection.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1976683 - 11/16/14 07:49 PM Re: Climate Change? MB Guy
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/hollande-raises-specter-war-over-climate-change-133133544.html

Aggs, your superior European brethren are now threatening war over global warming. Remember what I said about this endgame. This is all about governmental control.

Return to Top
#1976710 - 11/17/14 03:05 PM Re: Climate Change? Aggs
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted By: Aggs
overpopulation is a huge problem. Nothing can be done about that.

tell that to China...

Return to Top
#1976711 - 11/17/14 03:08 PM Re: Climate Change? Aggs
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Aggs
the fact of the matter is, the sheer numbers of the argument do not support that side.

Galileo

Return to Top
#1976714 - 11/17/14 03:11 PM Re: Climate Change? MB Guy
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Was he polish?

Return to Top
#1976717 - 11/17/14 03:14 PM Re: Climate Change? MB Guy
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Does man contribute to global warming? likely so...

does changing from an 8 to a 4 cylinder car have much impact? likely not

does the "science" behind global warming change? most definitely, as it is no longer called global warming but is now referred to as climate change.

will this continue to be an argument for many years? of course, with no end in sight

i just can't help but wonder how the earth went through multiple ice ages prior to man, with significantly greater cooling and heating than has been experienced since man has been around...

Return to Top
#1976737 - 11/17/14 03:47 PM Re: Climate Change? MB Guy
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas

Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore

does the "science" behind global warming change? most definitely, as it is no longer called global warming but is now referred to as climate change.

the change in use of terms is not because of any change in the "science". Both terms have been used for decades. Global Warming is the long term trend of a rising average global temperature. Climate change is the changes that occur due to global warming.

And the person who advocated using climate change more frequently was a republican political strategist named Frank Lutz because--"Climate change is less frightening than global warming"

www.skepticalscience.com/print.php?r=326

I just can't help but wonder how the earth went through multiple ice ages prior to man, with significantly greater cooling and heating than has been experienced since man has been around...

no one is saying humans are the only factor that influence the climate. But all the evidence points to our CO2 emissions being the main cause for the current changes. And previous times when the the temperature changed either took millions of years (giving life time to adjust) or, when done too abruptly, highly destructive for life.

it's like saying we shouldn't worry about overfishing because lots of species have gone extinct well before man evolved. Or dont worry about putting out your campfire because wildfires have been happening for millenia.

Return to Top
#1976747 - 11/17/14 03:58 PM Re: Climate Change? Stupendous Man
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Stupendous Man

And previous times when the the temperature changed either took millions of years (giving life time to adjust) or, when done too abruptly, highly destructive for life.

well, that is what i was wondering...what caused the abrupt change if man wasn't present? There was obviously some naturally occurring factor(s) that made this happen. and we may never have a definitive answer on what caused it, although many theories. so, all things being equal, how do we know this isn't contributing just as much now, as opposed to man being the largest contributor?

(and i realize the term "abrupt" can mean a long period of time, hundreds or thousand of years, in the scheme of the age of the earth)

I'm no scientist, have no scientific background, certainly hope I'm not falling into the bully category as offered by TJ, but i'm really curious. I've done a good bit of reading on this, both pro and con (not the scientific papers but news articles about) and have yet to see anything, either way, that tells me definitely we are or are not the cause.

I suppose the best part about that is regardless of the cause, i'll be long gone before we either boil or freeze the earth.

Return to Top
#1976754 - 11/17/14 04:14 PM Re: Climate Change? MB Guy
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
Try milk next time. It tastes much better in wheaties. smirk

Return to Top
#1976779 - 11/17/14 04:55 PM Re: Climate Change? MB Guy
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
http://abcnews.go.com/US/ice-visible-lake-superior-weeks-ahead-schedule/story?id=26939239

As a child in Michigan, I refused to swim in Lake Superior! That dang last ice age was a trip!

Return to Top
#1977395 - 11/19/14 03:04 PM Re: Climate Change? MB Guy
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
They had to go with climate change. For seven years they told us it was global warming. Then when that turned out to be false, they just changed the argument and called it climate change. A noun that is pretty hard to prove or disprove. This way they can be right for the next 40 years or so until someone gives up on it.

Return to Top
#1977583 - 11/19/14 08:15 PM Re: Climate Change? Sound Tactic
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: Sound Tactic
They had to go with climate change. For seven years they told us it was global warming. Then when that turned out to be false, they just changed the argument and called it climate change. A noun that is pretty hard to prove or disprove. This way they can be right for the next 40 years or so until someone gives up on it.

Because, kill the evil lying scumbag scientists!

Return to Top
#1977587 - 11/19/14 08:17 PM Re: Climate Change? MB Guy
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
^^^
The more you can convince people to fear something (drugs, terrorism, disease, war, crime, climate change, global warming) the easier it is to control them.

Return to Top
#1977607 - 11/19/14 08:52 PM Re: Climate Change? buggs
YosemiteSamIAm Offline
Power Poster
Guess
Originally Posted By: buggs

Not included on the debate team in high school...

Return to Top
#1977611 - 11/19/14 08:59 PM Re: Climate Change? buggs
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic

It wasn't the scientists that tried to shove this down our throats. It was the fools.

Return to Top
#1977628 - 11/19/14 09:47 PM Re: Climate Change? MB Guy
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
El Nino

Return to Top
#1977641 - 11/19/14 10:10 PM Re: Climate Change? Stupendous Man
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas
Originally Posted By: Stupendous Man

the change in use of terms is not because of any change in the "science". Both terms have been used for decades. Global Warming is the long term trend of a rising average global temperature. Climate change is the changes that occur due to global warming.

And the person who advocated using climate change more frequently was a republican political strategist named Frank Lutz because--"Climate change is less frightening than global warming"

www.skepticalscience.com/print.php?r=326

Return to Top
#1977644 - 11/19/14 10:18 PM Re: Climate Change? Stupendous Man
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Are you saying that man does not cause Climate change Global warming causes it? laugh

CAMS

Return to Top
#1977647 - 11/19/14 10:30 PM Re: Climate Change? RockChucker, CAMS
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: RockChucker
^^^
The more you can convince people to fear something (drugs, terrorism, disease, war, crime, climate change, global warming) the easier it is to control them.

Very, very, very true statement, but it's stupid to dismiss it as patently false if there is some truth in it. That's called cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Return to Top
#1977648 - 11/19/14 10:31 PM Re: Climate Change? Sound Tactic
buggs Offline
Power Poster
It wasn't the scientists that tried to shove this down our throats. It was the fools.

Um, you're wrong. Scientists have been trying to bring this to the attention of the public for quite some time now.

Return to Top
#1977652 - 11/19/14 10:49 PM Re: Climate Change? buggs
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
Originally Posted By: RockChucker
^^^

Very, very, very true statement, but it's stupid to dismiss it as patently false if there is some truth in it. That's called cutting off your nose to spite your face.

True, this juror is still out and has reserved judgement on the cause and if man is the cause or a significant cause what an effective solution is.

Return to Top
#1977653 - 11/19/14 10:50 PM Re: Climate Change? MB Guy
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
It is for the greater good.

Return to Top
#1977657 - 11/19/14 11:16 PM Re: Climate Change? buggs
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic

Um, you're wrong. Scientists have been trying to bring this to the attention of the public for quite some time now.

Yep! Scientists falsifying data. Anyone who would do that, and anyone who would stick their head in the sand regarding it, is a fool.

Purely from a debate perspective, I would recommend you watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2J8zEJHIg8

Return to Top
#1977658 - 11/19/14 11:18 PM Re: Climate Change? MB Guy
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Global warming is the Mecca of incoherent scare scenarios.

- Stefan Molyneaux

Return to Top
#1977675 - 11/20/14 01:58 PM Re: Climate Change? MB Guy
Aggs Offline
Diamond Poster
Aggs
Hoosier Country
“As we stand at the brink of a second nuclear age and a period of unprecedented climate change, scientists have a special responsibility, once again to inform the public and to advise leaders about the perils that humanity faces. As scientists we understand the dangers of nuclear weapons and their devastation effects, and we are learning how human activities and technologies are affecting climate systems in ways that may forever change life on Earth. As citizens of the world, we have a duty to share that knowledge. We have a duty.”

- Stephen Hawking

Opinions expressed in these threads are my own and not my employer's.

Return to Top
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6