Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Thread Options
#1977922 - 11/20/14 08:21 PM Re: Climate Change? MB Guy
buggs Offline
Power Poster
So let me see if I have this right. If one scientists falsifies data, the 99 who's don't, yet reach the same conclusion using legitimate science also cannot be trusted. If one non-scientist talking head says the scientists are correct, then the 99 who say it's not correct just because they don't like the implications are all telling the truth.

Some of here use very twisted logic to bend facts their points of view.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1977923 - 11/20/14 08:23 PM Re: Climate Change? MB Guy
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
If one scientists falsifies data and 99 base there work on the data obtained from that one scientist...

CAMS

Return to Top
#1977925 - 11/20/14 08:28 PM Re: Climate Change? MB Guy
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
If one bank does not handle mortgages appropriately as determined by certain politicians all banks become over regulated.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1977937 - 11/20/14 08:57 PM Re: Climate Change? MB Guy
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Aggs I completely understand that you don't agree with us. I also understand that you think humans have caused an effect that has resulted in climate change and that for some reason we need legislation to make this stop (or in Europe's case maybe advocate for war).

Our problem is that during this debate we have listed things that refute your science. But instead of taking a look at those items and objectively addressing any flaws that may be included in our argument or looking at ways to improve the "science" (yes that was put in quotes for a reason). You just want to label us as "science deniers" and say we are listening to "scare mongers". Those are what are referred to as ad hominem attacks. Ad hominem attacks are typically a method of smoke screening information because one person in the debate is uninformed and wants everyone else to appear uninformed. Those attacks are also used by people who tend to be angry because people just don't believe whatever they say without taking a look at the substance.

Unless you address the substance of the debate, it is impossible to engage in constructive dialogue.
Last edited by Sound Tactic; 11/20/14 08:59 PM.

Return to Top
#1978000 - 11/20/14 10:37 PM Re: Climate Change? Aggs
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted By: Aggs
Someone posted a quote from Stefan Molyneaux about global warming being a scare tactic. Queue complete silence about it in this thread. He must be an indisputable expert!

well, this does pose an interesting thought...

If we take GW/CC out of this, and instead you had posted a quote from someone that owned a Subaru Legacy that it was the greatest car they ever owned. Now, if I also owned a Subaru Legacy, i may agree with you that it was the greatest car, but I likely would not post said agreement.

However, if I disagreed with your post because I had a negative experience with a previously owned Legacy, I would be more inclined to reply, but no guarantee of reply (maybe some people just choose to follow Grandma's advice and not say anything if they can't be nice).

Likely no different for this topic, if people feel it is a scare tactic (a number of posters have said something very close along those lines), likely they felt commenting on that was not needed (please note as unscientific proof of this theory that a number of posters have provided posts in support of GW/CC throughout and also chose not to comment on referenced post). Whether or not he is viewed an an indisputable expert is open to great debate, whether one agrees with him or not.
Last edited by HappyGilmore; 11/20/14 10:37 PM.

Return to Top
#1978004 - 11/20/14 10:47 PM Re: Climate Change? MB Guy
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Quote:
Please point me to where I've said that we need legislation for this? That has not been my point at all.

That is the argument your side is trying to make. If not, what should we do? Nothing?

Quote:
Again, the majority of world-wide scientific research points to the fact humans contribute to the changes in our climate. I have looked at the "proof" you have provided and did not see anything to take away from research of the majority of the world's scientists. If, from now on, you are seeking for me to make a specific comment on every single item you post and address its validity, please specify that up front.

And again you are not addressing the criticism. We have argued that the research is being funded by those with an agenda, that the data has been falsified and the models have been wrong. So what now? A bunch of people think it probably is happening but they have no data to back up with. That basically means it isn't happening. Again, you have failed to address our argument. We are addressing your arguments but you just want to say the same thing over and over.

Quote:
Please point me to where I said you are listening to "scare mongers" in that term.

Quote:
Please refrain from putting words in my mouth.

Well you can't seem to remember what you wrote so I don't know how to defend this.

Quote:
Please don't act like you have to explain "big people words" to me, such as "ad hominem." Just because English is not my native tongue does not mean I'm illiterate.

ad hominem is two words, and is Latin not English. But I am glad that you have decided to take the attack personally further derailing constructive discussion on the topic.

Quote:
Nowhere have I "attacked" anyone. If we're still stuck on my initial post when I made a joke about a bunch of science-deniers getting together on a bankers website, I apologize if it offended anyone. Good lord. In the future, if someone dismisses 97% of science, I will call them a science supporter instead. smirk

Labeling someone as a "science denier" is an attack. But that is not what ad hominem means anyway.

Again you keep stating things like 97% of science without anything to support this. We have refuted critical pieces of this supposed fact and you just keep saying. How about this: http://www.skepticalscience.com/global-warming-scientific-consensus.htm Note to Aggs, 31,000 does not equal 97%. It is estimated there are 5.8 million scientists in the world.

Do you just like being wrong about everything? Ok that part was a joke.
Last edited by Sound Tactic; 11/20/14 10:51 PM.

Return to Top
#1978005 - 11/20/14 10:48 PM Re: Climate Change? Aggs
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
I also don't understand why some of you have this need to make everyone agree with you and beat them down until they do. With "ad hominem" attacks. laugh

Like I said several times, we will agree to disagree. I am not going to change your opinion, you will not change mine. The end.

Like you do?

Return to Top
#1978006 - 11/20/14 10:51 PM Re: Climate Change? MB Guy
Aggs Offline
Diamond Poster
Aggs
Hoosier Country
I decided to delete my posts but you beat me to them. smile Honestly, I am just tired of arguing about this with anonymous bankers out on the internet.

You believe what you want and have a great day.

Opinions expressed in these threads are my own and not my employer's.

Return to Top
#1978007 - 11/20/14 10:52 PM Re: Climate Change? MB Guy
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
6. We'd be better off if we kept the name calling out of the "debate" altogether.

Return to Top
#1978017 - 11/21/14 12:46 AM Re: Climate Change? MB Guy
buggs Offline
Power Poster
True debate is simply impossible with some of the bullies that have established themselves as rulers of the 'Cooler.
Last edited by buggs; 11/21/14 12:47 AM.
Return to Top
#1978023 - 11/21/14 03:02 AM Re: Climate Change? buggs
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Originally Posted By: buggs
True debate is simply impossible with some of the bullies that have established themselves as rulers of the 'Cooler.

Excellent contribution to the topic at hand. Unless you are willing or attempt to rebut one of the criticisms of the "scientific method", I suppose this issue is closed.

Return to Top
#1978024 - 11/21/14 03:08 AM Re: Climate Change? MB Guy
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
The 97% myth: http://online.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702303480304579578462813553136

Of the various petitions on global warming circulated for signatures by scientists, the one by the Petition Project, a group of physicists and physical chemists based in La Jolla, Calif., has by far the most signatures—more than 31,000 (more than 9,000 with a Ph.D.). It was most recently published in 2009, and most signers were added or reaffirmed since 2007. The petition states that "there is no convincing scientific evidence that human release of . . . carbon dioxide, methane, or other greenhouse gases is causing or will, in the foreseeable future, cause catastrophic heating of the Earth's atmosphere and disruption of the Earth's climate."

We could go on, but the larger point is plain. There is no basis for the claim that 97% of scientists believe that man-made climate change is a dangerous problem.
Last edited by Sound Tactic; 11/21/14 03:09 AM.

Return to Top
#1978037 - 11/21/14 01:39 PM Re: Climate Change? buggs
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Originally Posted By: buggs

Like I said, keep the name calling out.
This is the second warning for this thread.

Return to Top
#1978053 - 11/21/14 02:04 PM Re: Climate Change? QCL
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Oh oh

Return to Top
#1978068 - 11/21/14 02:15 PM Re: Climate Change? Aggs
YosemiteSamIAm Offline
Power Poster
Guess
laugh

You all are so predictable. smirk
Translation? "I'm getting slaughtered on here, I better act like I meant to say that just to get a reaction."

Or

"Oops, made yet another wrong turn, better back up and retrace my steps."

Return to Top
#1978073 - 11/21/14 02:28 PM Re: Climate Change? MB Guy
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
I think the above post falls under QCL's definition of name calling.

Return to Top
#1978089 - 11/21/14 02:52 PM Re: Climate Change? TB 12
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
Originally Posted By: Sox in '13
I think the above post falls under QCL's definition of name calling.

I guess we'll have to wait for her to make that determination.

Return to Top
#1978104 - 11/21/14 03:02 PM Re: Climate Change? MB Guy
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
Or "bad driver".

Return to Top
#1978112 - 11/21/14 03:06 PM Re: Climate Change? MB Guy
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Thank you for the snarky notification.
I do not spend my day here.

I actually have a job with work to do.

The notification was nice, because it let me know of a perceived issue here. They (notifications) do go to ALL moderators and to BOL admin.

Thanks.

Return to Top
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6