Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#197806 - 06/07/04 08:48 PM Abandoned Property/ Privacy
J2C Offline
Diamond Poster
Big Brother knows and that's a...
I am doing a review of abandoned property (New York) right now. One thing that is required is to advertise in the local newspaper 30 days after the preliminary report filing is the names and last known addresses of persons appearing to be entitled to property of $50 or more.

Is this a violation of Reg. P? I am also going to post my question in the NY forum. I would think that it would be a violation.....

Return to Top
Audit
#197807 - 06/08/04 12:50 AM Re: Abandoned Property/ Privacy
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Look toward 216.15(7)(i):

"To comply with Federal, State, or local laws, rules and other applicable legal requirements"

Return to Top
#197808 - 06/08/04 12:42 PM Re: Abandoned Property/ Privacy
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Regulation P and its parallel regulations are not a source of authority for making a disclosure. Nor are they a source of authority for prohibiting a disclosure other than an account number. All the regulation requires is that financial institutions give consumers disclosures of their practices and, if they make disclosures other than those “allowed by law” they must give the consumer a chance to opt out. This is simply not a disclosure the consumer has a right to opt out of.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z