Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#1978078 - 11/21/14 02:38 PM Black Friday Yay or Nay?
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas
I'm against it. i worked retail in college and my hometown are about 3 hours away. it sucked having to duck out of thanksgivng early to drive back and work at 4am the next morning.

it seems like we're close to some kind of tipping point, but i'm not sure which way. Seems like more places are either opening on thanksgiving itself AND more places are saying "nope, stop the nonsense".

There's no inherent reason why we need to shop super early friday. i wish there was someway to shift the doorbreaking sales (if we must have them) to, say 6pm friday evening. i mean, you have a month of christmas shopping. it's not like time is the thing that limits spending. just shift it down half a day and let the employees enjoy thanksgiving.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1978081 - 11/21/14 02:43 PM Re: Black Friday Yay or Nay? Stupendous Man
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Never have, have no intentions of starting...ever!

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1978082 - 11/21/14 02:44 PM Re: Black Friday Yay or Nay? Stupendous Man
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
i don't partake, internet shopping is the way to go.

I wish i could say i also won't shop at businesses throughout the year that do open on Thanksgiving, but that is not realistic.

Of course, i also don't understand the backlash for businesses that open Thursday night for shopping. I don't hear people complaining about grocery stores that are open until noon that morning for people who need last minute stuff, as well as convenience stores open, gas stations open, fast food open, etc.

Return to Top
#1978085 - 11/21/14 02:46 PM Re: Black Friday Yay or Nay? Stupendous Man
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
They should all be closed. I remember back in ancient times when EVERYTHING was closed on Sundays...and we survived it!

And on Thanksgiving and Christmas you had the rare motel restaurant open for dinner. Been there....swear I'll never do it again! I'd rather eat a sammich.
Last edited by RR Joker; 11/21/14 02:47 PM.

Return to Top
#1978087 - 11/21/14 02:48 PM Re: Black Friday Yay or Nay? RR Joker
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: RR Joker
They should all be closed. I remember back in ancient times when EVERYTHING was closed on Sundays...and we survived it!

back when families attended church together...then went to Grandma's for Sunday dinner

Return to Top
#1978088 - 11/21/14 02:50 PM Re: Black Friday Yay or Nay? Stupendous Man
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
and most small towns around here pulled their blinds down on Wednesday afternoons up until not too many years ago! Amazing how we ever survived THAT! LOL! Banks even closed. It was way cool!

Return to Top
#1978092 - 11/21/14 02:54 PM Re: Black Friday Yay or Nay? Stupendous Man
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
there is still a bank in Lousiana that is closed one day during the week because they open Saturday...yeah, very small town, very small bank

Return to Top
#1978095 - 11/21/14 02:54 PM Re: Black Friday Yay or Nay? Stupendous Man
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
).
Originally Posted By: Stupendous Man
I'm against it. i worked retail in college and my hometown are about 3 hours away. it sucked having to duck out of thanksgivng early to drive back and work at 4am the next morning.

it seems like we're close to some kind of tipping point, but i'm not sure which way. Seems like more places are either opening on thanksgiving itself AND more places are saying "nope, stop the nonsense".

There's no inherent reason why we need to shop super early friday. i wish there was someway to shift the doorbreaking sales (if we must have them) to, say 6pm friday evening. i mean, you have a month of christmas shopping. it's not like time is the thing that limits spending. just shift it down half a day and let the employees enjoy thanksgiving.

This kind of ties in to what you were saying in the college football thread (paying players). This is capitalism and freedom of competition. If you open at 6, I'll open at 5; well then I'll just open at 4. Fine - I'll beat both of you and open at 3...... It doesn't matter to me either way. I don't participate in the madness. My sister talked me into going once about 15 years ago, now I firmly believe that I have been 1 time too many.

As to your particular situation, that's part of the price of going to college. I chose to attend closer to home (about an hour away). I worked at a call center and had to work on Christmas Day two consecutive years. Yea, it sucked....but I still had time with my family before work (part-time work, 5-10).

You're right, that there is no inherent reason to open at midnight or 1 or 2. But to that end, it is just as much the consumers' fault. If Mr. and Mrs. Public didn't particiapte in the super-crazy-stupid-mad rush at 1 a.m. then the retailers wouldn't have ANY reason to open at that time.

Return to Top
#1978099 - 11/21/14 02:59 PM Re: Black Friday Yay or Nay? Stupendous Man
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
why is it that they can make money selling their junk at a discount at 4 in the am but can not make a profit a week before Christmas?

CAMS

Return to Top
#1978102 - 11/21/14 03:01 PM Re: Black Friday Yay or Nay? Stupendous Man
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
Follow the money. Black Friday is hyped, promoted to the hilt. It makes lots of lovely money for retailers. It won't ever be stopped but will be ever tweaked to sensationalize it to the max so as to hold the attention of the masses in order to extract more of their cash.

I must not be for it for I never participate. I look on from the sidelines amazed that so many gullible Americans get sucked into the stupid Black Friday maelstrom. One hears office talk of Black Friday adventures and conquests, related to all as if the participant was somehow heroic for enduring and persevering.

Hate it for the poor folks who have to staff the stores. The holidays have long since been robbed of meaning in favor of increased sales.

America has become the land of mind-numbed nitwits.

It must not be a good morning here in noelekal-land.

Return to Top
#1978103 - 11/21/14 03:01 PM Re: Black Friday Yay or Nay? Stupendous Man
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
I've done the black Friday sales a few times. However most of what I buy for Christmas gifts are for little kids so toys and stuff. Seems like black Friday is all about shopping for yourself now. TV's, BluRay players, computers etc.
I'll do some online on cyber Monday and the rest I'm doing this weekend. It's not worth the fight!!

Return to Top
#1978113 - 11/21/14 03:05 PM Re: Black Friday Yay or Nay? Stupendous Man
DoS Offline
Gold Star
DoS
one state over
I feel people who will leave a family event in the pursuit of cheap carp need to seriously reevaluate their priorities. plus the best deals aren't on black friday, they are on the last couple of days prior to christmas.

"Strip the Flesh, Salt the Wound" - Krieg

Return to Top
#1978116 - 11/21/14 03:18 PM Re: Black Friday Yay or Nay? Stupendous Man
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
"I feel people who will leave a family event in the pursuit of cheap carp need to seriously reevaluate their priorities.'

I would not judge until I met the family at the event.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1978121 - 11/21/14 03:26 PM Re: Black Friday Yay or Nay? Stupendous Man
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
I'd rather walk to China than stand in line on Black Friday.

Return to Top
#1978124 - 11/21/14 03:27 PM Re: Black Friday Yay or Nay? raitchjay
Bobby Boucher Offline
Power Poster
Bobby Boucher
Down Yonder
Originally Posted By: raitchjay

What kind of deals do they have?

Return to Top
#1978126 - 11/21/14 03:30 PM Re: Black Friday Yay or Nay? Bobby Boucher
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Originally Posted By: Bobby Boucher

Electronics?

Return to Top
#1978128 - 11/21/14 03:30 PM Re: Black Friday Yay or Nay? Stupendous Man
ComplianceDude Offline
New Poster
ation Location Location
To combat the consumerism of Black Friday, we have a family tradition of taking the day off on Black Friday and doing something together at home, and explaining to the kids that it's the worst day of the year to go to a store because of the crowds and the hype and that it takes attention away from the true meaning of Christmas. Man that sounds less corny when I say it at home, I hope.

Return to Top
#1978133 - 11/21/14 03:36 PM Re: Black Friday Yay or Nay? raitchjay
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
Originally Posted By: Bobby Boucher

Electronics?

Wouldn't the electronics come from Taiwan?

Return to Top
#1978136 - 11/21/14 03:42 PM Re: Black Friday Yay or Nay? ComplianceDude
Bobby Boucher Offline
Power Poster
Bobby Boucher
Down Yonder
Originally Posted By: ComplyYouMust
...because of the crowds and the hype and that it takes attention away from the true meaning of Christmas.

That, and also because BLACK FRIDAY WILL KILL YOU!

grin

Didn't sound corny to me, CYM.

Return to Top
#1978139 - 11/21/14 03:49 PM Re: Black Friday Yay or Nay? HappyGilmore
Aggs Offline
Diamond Poster
Aggs
Hoosier Country
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
i don't partake, internet shopping is the way to go.

^^^ This

I have never shopped on Black Friday nor do I intend to. I know some people who love it and look forward to it, but it's not for me.

I do feel bad for the retail workers. I don't understand why the stores have to open at midnight, or 4am, or whatever. Wouldn't the sale still be the same sale if the stores opened at 10am on Friday?

I don't get the hype and I don't like how Thanksgiving has turned into the day of bargain shopping as opposed to spending time with your loves ones and being grateful for what you already have. It's so ironic. "I'm thankful for all these things I have. Many people are not as fortunate as me to have so many nice things. Therefore I must go camp out in front of Best Buy to get MORE things!" grin

Opinions expressed in these threads are my own and not my employer's.

Return to Top
#1978140 - 11/21/14 03:52 PM Re: Black Friday Yay or Nay? Stupendous Man
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I've noticed now that 'Black Friday' has already started. Everything in a few stores I've been in say "black Friday deals today" kind of signs on things.

Return to Top
#1978141 - 11/21/14 03:52 PM Re: Black Friday Yay or Nay? Stupendous Man
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
97% of the people in the US who take part in internet shopping on black Friday are taking part in Black Friday. I have a petition of 31,000 scientists who agree with this, even though the report they signed off on actually says there is no evidence that shopping on the internet on Black Friday constitutes taking part in Black Friday. Just saying!

Return to Top
#1978145 - 11/21/14 03:57 PM Re: Black Friday Yay or Nay? Stupendous Man
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas
Dude, Why? What happened to you in high school? The other thread got shut down. let it go.

Return to Top
#1978148 - 11/21/14 04:00 PM Re: Black Friday Yay or Nay? Stupendous Man
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
I am talking about Black Friday. It was a joke.

The point I am making about Black Friday is that shopping on Black Friday is shopping on Black Friday, regardless of medium.

Return to Top
#1978153 - 11/21/14 04:05 PM Re: Black Friday Yay or Nay? Stupendous Man
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas
Anyways, does anyone have any cool christmas gift ideas for adults? I ususally have one or two a decade for my sisters that i'm really proud of, and they usually end up being the cheapest of all.

I have one sister who does the whole marathon thing, and seems to be running for hours everyday. She's also really busy at work and doesn't have time to keep up with a lot of new music. So one year i gave her a bunch of songs for her ipod.

my other sister is really into stephen king--owns all his books. i found a list on wikipedia of his uncollected short stories from like magazines and stuff and got her a bunch of those on amazon. So i kind of "made" a collection for her.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3