BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#1978155 - 11/21/14 04:08 PM Re: Black Friday Yay or Nay? Stupendous Man
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
I give my brother a list of songs i want every year and he burns them to CDs for me (yes, i still can only listen to music via CDs). It's a great gift.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1978157 - 11/21/14 04:09 PM Re: Black Friday Yay or Nay? Stupendous Man
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
I actually received a catalog yesterday that piqued my interest. It's from Uncommon Goods. Lots of unique gifts for foodies, kids, animal lovers. I enjoyed looking through it and found lots of things I would like and maybe some I'll buy for my hubby.

Return to Top
#1978162 - 11/21/14 04:17 PM Re: Black Friday Yay or Nay? Stupendous Man
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
I have to work on Friday. No way am I going to get up early to go shop and then come to work.

Return to Top
#1978168 - 11/21/14 04:26 PM Re: Black Friday Yay or Nay? Stupendous Man
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Richard Bachman is a pseudonym for Mr King does she have any of those books?

CAMS

Return to Top
#1978171 - 11/21/14 04:28 PM Re: Black Friday Yay or Nay? edAudit
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Yes to Black Friday, absolutely!!!!!

Return to Top
#1978189 - 11/21/14 04:47 PM Re: Black Friday Yay or Nay? Stupendous Man
Busy Bee, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
PacificNW
I went to the midnight Walmart opening in town a few years ago with my sister in law. NEVER AGAIN!! It was a nightmare and people were so unbelieveably rude! It didn't make the savings anywhere near worth the headache. When my now husband and I were dating, we went to a local store at 5:00 AM because they had travel DVD players for something like $30 a piece. We do a lot of traveling to visit his family by car so it was a good purchase for the kids.

We have a family tradition of looking through the ads in the Thanksgiving paper after dinner and see if it's even worth going out shopping. It usually isn't! laugh

Return to Top
#1978192 - 11/21/14 05:00 PM Re: Black Friday Yay or Nay? ComplianceDude
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Originally Posted By: ComplyYouMust
To combat the consumerism of Black Friday, we have a family tradition of taking the day off on Black Friday and doing something together at home, and explaining to the kids that it's the worst day of the year to go to a store because of the crowds and the hype and that it takes attention away from the true meaning of Christmas. Man that sounds less corny when I say it at home, I hope.

Nope, I am sure it sounds just as corny whistle

Return to Top
#1978194 - 11/21/14 05:02 PM Re: Black Friday Yay or Nay? Busy Bee, CRCM
TINKerBell Offline
Power Poster
TINKerBell
Tiger's Den!
I've done some Black Friday shopping in the past, back when it was beneficial for me to save the $$ since I had three kids. If you are in the right frame of mind, it can be fun, and if you are an avid shopper, you can save a ton of money. I went to a store at 7pm on Thanksgiving night a couple of years ago and again, it was OK...people were nice, and we actually had some fun while waiting. Will I do it again? Nope. I am getting too old for it! I prefer to let my fingers do the sale shopping on Cyber Monday!

Return to Top
#1978199 - 11/21/14 05:09 PM Re: Black Friday Yay or Nay? TINKerBell
'Lil Freak! Offline
10K Club
'Lil Freak!
The psych ward
Originally Posted By: TINKerBell
Will I do it again? Nope.
I prefer to let my fingers do the sale shopping on Cyber Monday!

Ditto this. Last time I stood in line @ 4 a.m. was 10 years ago with my exchange student (who wanted the experience).

Return to Top
#1978202 - 11/21/14 05:16 PM Re: Black Friday Yay or Nay? Stupendous Man
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
I hate crowds in stores, so there is no way I'm going to any store on Friday, unless we run out of beer.

My wife and I had some time to kill on Veterans Day waiting for car repairs, and we stopped in a mall. It looked like it was abandoned. Hardly anyone shopping.

I agree with the online shopping though. So much easier.

Return to Top
#1978203 - 11/21/14 05:20 PM Re: Black Friday Yay or Nay? Stupendous Man
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
Stupendous...I like that you think outside the box, I may have to start to be more creative... As for Black Friday, 2 years ago my then 16 yr old daughter wanted to go to the mall at midnight. So there I was with a car load of kids at the mall. I gave them a 2 hour limit and found the nearest chair. Needless to say I do not need to experience that again.

Return to Top
#1978209 - 11/21/14 05:28 PM Re: Black Friday Yay or Nay? Sound Tactic
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted By: Sound Tactic
The point I am making about Black Friday is that shopping on Black Friday is shopping on Black Friday, regardless of medium.

to clarify, i do my internet shopping throughout a period of time, not on black friday or cyber monday...

Return to Top
#1978213 - 11/21/14 05:35 PM Re: Black Friday Yay or Nay? Stupendous Man
Bobby Boucher Offline
Power Poster
Bobby Boucher
Down Yonder
Have never shopped on Black Friday, and hate the WalMarts. I do ring for Salvation Army every year in front of a WalMart, though, and I admit I enjoy ringing on Black Fridays (though, maybe not for the right reasons). I chuckle as I watch the people who have obviously been out waaaaaaaay too long, the hijinks in the parking lot (like honking at the poor family taking too long to load their car, instead of backing up and taking a spot several rows back), the people still in what I assume were their previous night's pajamas, the vampire-like reactions to sunlight as they emerge from hours of shopping, the poor first-timer husbands who didn't know what they were getting into (and will make for-dam-sure they don't get roped in again next year), and just the blank, confused, soul-less gazes of people as you say "Merry Christmas!".

It's quite the show and those shifts seem to go much quicker than others. 'Tis the season. grin

Return to Top
#1978214 - 11/21/14 05:36 PM Re: Black Friday Yay or Nay? Stupendous Man
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Originally Posted By: Stupendous Man
Anyways, does anyone have any cool christmas gift ideas for adults? I ususally have one or two a decade for my sisters that i'm really proud of, and they usually end up being the cheapest of all.

I have one sister who does the whole marathon thing, and seems to be running for hours everyday. She's also really busy at work and doesn't have time to keep up with a lot of new music. So one year i gave her a bunch of songs for her ipod.

my other sister is really into stephen king--owns all his books. i found a list on wikipedia of his uncollected short stories from like magazines and stuff and got her a bunch of those on amazon. So i kind of "made" a collection for her.
These are the best! Last year my oldest grangirl made cds for various family members. For me and my husband, she picked love songs that she thought represented us and our relationship. It was so amazing and insightful to listen to. The best gift that just keeps on giving.

Otherwise, I'm like Tink. Been there. Done that. Don't want another t-shirt. Hubs and I like to go out to shop on Saturday and grab lunch out so we keep doing it through the holidays. But half of the stuff we get online. Just easier and with free shipping, I'm not burning gas either.

Return to Top
#1978217 - 11/21/14 05:42 PM Re: Black Friday Yay or Nay? Stupendous Man
buggs Offline
Power Poster
It's the day after Thanksgiving. It's a normal Friday other than that. Some people want to shop, some people don't. Some people want to work that day, some people don't. Some people are forced to shop, some people are forced not to shop. Some people are forced to work, some people are forced not to work. I'm going to work on November 28th. I don't really want to, but I told someone else they could take that day off.

It's a business day. It's not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things, unless you choose to make it a big deal.

That's how I look at it anyway.

Return to Top
#1978226 - 11/21/14 05:51 PM Re: Black Friday Yay or Nay? buggs
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Black Friday is a choice? whistle

CAMS

Return to Top
#1978239 - 11/21/14 06:05 PM Re: Black Friday Yay or Nay? Stupendous Man
Hobbes Offline
100 Club
Hobbes
On a sled
I'll head to Lowe's or Home Depot around 2pm and pick up some of the $1 poinsettias they have to have as decorations around the house. The crowds are usually gone, and they never seem to run out of those.

Tha's about the extent of my shopping. I've never gone out at 4am, and I never plan to.

I did have one manager, years ago, who was completely oblivious to the whole thing. He planned to go out and didn't believe us when we told him it would be packed. He was convinced everyone would be home sleeping off Thanksgiving. He made it to two stores before he gave up and went home. I don't think he was able to buy anything...

Return to Top
#1978241 - 11/21/14 06:09 PM Re: Black Friday Yay or Nay? Stupendous Man
NotDoneYet Offline
Gold Star
NotDoneYet
PA
No way! I actually prefer to work that day. Doesn't get any quieter than Black Friday in the office.
And to CompliantOkie, my kids buy gifts from Uncommon Goods and have never been disappointed.

Return to Top
#1978261 - 11/21/14 06:43 PM Re: Black Friday Yay or Nay? Busy Bee, CRCM
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Originally Posted By: Busy Bee, CRCM
I went to the midnight Walmart opening in town a few years ago with my sister in law. NEVER AGAIN!! It was a nightmare and people were so unbelieveably rude! It didn't make the savings anywhere near worth the headache.

A couple of years ago my niece, nephew and I decided we would give the Thanksgiving night shopping at WalMart a go. My nephew is 6'4", 250lb wall of solid muscle. He had people cutting him off and ramming him with their shopping carts. He's pretty mild mannered so when I glanced over at him and saw the look on his face I decided that the best place for him (and the rest of the shoppers) was in the car. eek laugh I thought we were going to witness a blood bath!

I will never do that again.

Return to Top
#1978269 - 11/21/14 06:55 PM Re: Black Friday Yay or Nay? edAudit
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: edAudit

Some things are, Ed.

Return to Top
#1978270 - 11/21/14 06:56 PM Re: Black Friday Yay or Nay? buggs
Bobby Boucher Offline
Power Poster
Bobby Boucher
Down Yonder
Originally Posted By: buggs

Some things are, Ed.

...unless they're not. laugh

Return to Top
#1978273 - 11/21/14 07:00 PM Re: Black Friday Yay or Nay? Bobby Boucher
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: Bobby Boucher
Originally Posted By: buggs

Some things are, Ed.

...unless they're not. laugh

Can't argue with that logic. Your mind is a steel trap.

Return to Top
#1978275 - 11/21/14 07:02 PM Re: Black Friday Yay or Nay? RR Sarah
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Originally Posted By: RR Sarah
Originally Posted By: Busy Bee, CRCM
I went to the midnight Walmart opening in town a few years ago with my sister in law. NEVER AGAIN!! It was a nightmare and people were so unbelieveably rude! It didn't make the savings anywhere near worth the headache.

A couple of years ago my niece, nephew and I decided we would give the Thanksgiving night shopping at WalMart a go. My nephew is 6'4", 250lb wall of solid muscle. He had people cutting him off and ramming him with their shopping carts. He's pretty mild mannered so when I glanced over at him and saw the look on his face I decided that the best place for him (and the rest of the shoppers) was in the car. eek laugh I thought we were going to witness a blood bath!

I will never do that again.

My son is a monster on a normal day at Wal-Mart...I'm quite sure Black Friday would land him in jail and others in the hospital! eek

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1978338 - 11/21/14 08:50 PM Re: Black Friday Yay or Nay? Stupendous Man
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Black Friday crowds? No thank you. I refuse to shop in the normal-workday-after-5:00 crowds unless it's a dire necessity.

I admit, I've done the 4am thing a couple of times with one of my friends. Once because she talked me into it, and the second time because I thought surely the first time must have been a fluke - no way were cops breaking up fistfights between soccer moms in the Walmart toy section...I must have imagined that. Sadly, I was mistaken. crazy

Return to Top
#1978340 - 11/21/14 08:57 PM Re: Black Friday Yay or Nay? Bobby Boucher
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted By: Bobby Boucher
I do ring for Salvation Army every year in front of a WalMart

i did this one year, in about 3 hours i made enough to pay for our Christmas and vacation... blush

Return to Top
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3