Learn More - Click Here!

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Thread Options
#1978604 - 11/24/14 06:03 PM Re: Awkward Penguins ComplianceDude
ComplianceDude Offline
New Poster
ation Location Location
Me: “Hello. Good! How are you doing?”

(To clarify, no one asked me how I was doing. But that didn’t stop me from replying: “Good!”)

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1978607 - 11/24/14 06:06 PM Re: Awkward Penguins ComplianceDude
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Originally Posted By: ComplyYouMust

(To clarify, no one asked me how I was doing. But that didn’t stop me from replying: “Good!”)

Ugh, I do that almost regularly. Force of habit.

Return to Top
#1978610 - 11/24/14 06:12 PM Re: Awkward Penguins ComplianceDude
Bobby Boucher Offline
Power Poster
Bobby Boucher
Down Yonder
Originally Posted By: ComplyYouMust

Happens to the best of us. Saturday night picking up dinner:

Him: How...

Me: Great! And how are you?

Him: ...(having apparently noticed my Tennessee cap)...'bout them Vols? Gonna beat Mizzou tonight?

Return to Top
#1978614 - 11/24/14 06:16 PM Re: Awkward Penguins ComplianceDude
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
::picks up ringing phone at work::

Hello, thank you for calling........(mind racing..where am I...read the mouse pad!!).

Return to Top
#1978635 - 11/24/14 06:53 PM Re: Awkward Penguins ComplianceDude
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
laugh @ MonkEE

Return to Top
#1978636 - 11/24/14 06:57 PM Re: Awkward Penguins ComplianceDude
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
I don't have a stuttering problem (honest), but the other day i sounded like Mel Tillis trying to get out a word (i forget which word) that normally is just another word. I think people were about ready to start a telethon for me.

Return to Top
#1978637 - 11/24/14 06:57 PM Re: Awkward Penguins ComplianceDude
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Leaving a message for myself and saying: "thanks a lot!" before I hang up. crazy

Return to Top
#1978645 - 11/24/14 07:01 PM Re: Awkward Penguins ComplianceDude
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
This! ^^^

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1978647 - 11/24/14 07:02 PM Re: Awkward Penguins cheekEE
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Originally Posted By: MonkEE

Hello, thank you for calling........(mind racing..where am I...read the mouse pad!!).

Oh man, another one I'm guilty of. My old bank got taken over just a few days over 5 years ago and I still occasionally struggle to remember who I work for now and almost say the old bank name. It's especially funny now that I've been working at the new one almost as long as I worked at the old one. Old habits, blah, blah, blah.

Return to Top
#1978665 - 11/24/14 07:29 PM Re: Awkward Penguins ComplianceDude
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
I hear you MB Guy. I'm so pitiful that I still infrequently date the infrequent checks that I write with a "19" when I get to the year part of the date. 19-something is now nearly 15 years in the past. Am I on a slow descent into Alzheimer's?

Return to Top
#1978682 - 11/24/14 07:40 PM Re: Awkward Penguins raitchjay
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
Originally Posted By: raitchjay
I don't have a stuttering problem (honest), but the other day i sounded like Mel Tillis trying to get out a word (i forget which word) that normally is just another word. I think people were about ready to start a telethon for me.

When I was a HS junior, I was in an honors English class that was half seniors. I was asked to read something in class, and when I hit the word "summary" I suddenly had no clue how to pronounce it. Soo, soo, soom, suh... The seniors were in stitches.

Return to Top
#1978683 - 11/24/14 07:46 PM Re: Awkward Penguins ComplianceDude
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
MBH, heh. We had to give speeches in our first college public speaking class where the teacher handed out the written speeches and we just had to read what was given.

One poor guy apparently was unaware how the word "penus" was said and throughout the entire speech pronounced it "pen" with a closely followed up "us" for some unknown reason. That was a strange day in speech class.

Return to Top
#1978690 - 11/24/14 07:55 PM Re: Awkward Penguins MB Guy
ItNeverEnds CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
Looking for my sanity
Originally Posted By: MB Guy
Originally Posted By: MonkEE

Oh man, another one I'm guilty of. My old bank got taken over just a few days over 5 years ago and I still occasionally struggle to remember who I work for now and almost say the old bank name. It's especially funny now that I've been working at the new one almost as long as I worked at the old one. Old habits, blah, blah, blah.

Lol. This is a daily problem for me! Just been at this bank a couple of months, everytime I answer the phone I prep myself with my new banks name, but still after I say, "Thank you for calling"...there's a noticable pause before I say the banks name. Lol. And I don't have a mousepad with the banks name to help me. I think I'm going to resort to a sticky note on my phone!

Return to Top
#1978698 - 11/24/14 08:02 PM Re: Awkward Penguins ComplianceDude
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
People who read a lot may learn a word in writing but never hear it spoken. That's what happened to my HS girlfriend, who pronounced "enigma" as "enema."

Return to Top
#1978699 - 11/24/14 08:04 PM Re: Awkward Penguins ComplianceDude
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Or those who don't read a lot who may have heard the word, but don't know how to spell it, lol.

Return to Top
#1978769 - 11/24/14 09:27 PM Re: Awkward Penguins ComplianceDude
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
I rarely get external phone calls(rarely answer is more accurate, stupid vendors), so I often fumble a bit when trying to add a canned intro. It's not that bad if it's someone using my extension that's routed through the phone system a bit already, but once or twice I've just answered "hello?" and gotten a confused person thinking they had a wrong number.

At least I haven't responded with a "What do you want?" or "What did you do now?" like I do for some of our staff though. laugh

Return to Top
#1979155 - 11/25/14 09:18 PM Re: Awkward Penguins ComplianceDude
Hobbes Offline
100 Club
Hobbes
On a sled
How about tripping and then jogging the next few steps, like, "yeah, I meant to suddenly break into a trot there. I didn't trip like you thought I did".

Or slipping on ice and landing flat on your @$$, and popping up and looking around to see if anyone saw you.

Return to Top
#1979180 - 11/25/14 09:58 PM Re: Awkward Penguins ComplianceDude
ComplianceDude Offline
New Poster
ation Location Location
Don't know if this counts as awkward or not...Last weekend I pulled out in front of traffic on my bicycle to make a left turn, and determined far too late that said traffic was going to maim and/or kill me (yeah yeah, biking can kill you), started pumping wildly to get out of traffic's way, was going too fast for my turn, so banked sharply dragging one foot to avoid a huge drop-off, and could see the sturdy little Volvo approaching rapidly all the while, so, yelled "WOW!" in two syllables (wild-cat style), as though rather than nearly Awkard Penguining myself to death, I was merely competing in the X games.

Return to Top
#1979254 - 11/26/14 02:19 PM Re: Awkward Penguins ComplianceDude
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
That made me laugh...really hard. I'm glad you're okay.

Return to Top
#1979769 - 11/28/14 08:26 PM Re: Awkward Penguins ComplianceDude
YosemiteSamIAm Offline
Power Poster
Guess
The most awkward thing I have done lately is to read this thread...SAY WHAT?!

Return to Top
#1979772 - 11/28/14 08:41 PM Re: Awkward Penguins ComplianceDude
NotDoneYet Offline
Gold Star
NotDoneYet
PA
Calling my husband my ex-husband's name around his family. You could hear a pin drop until he said "no, I'm number three." Then another dead silence since his family didn't know that.

Return to Top
#1979793 - 11/28/14 09:57 PM Re: Awkward Penguins DD Regs
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
Originally Posted By: DD Regs
This wasn't recent, but when my wife and I got together with some college friends a few years out of school. They had just had their second child and so we were visiting them.

We were all sitting around talking having a good time and some how the one said to my wife and I, "You are just a couple happy DINKs".

Having not heard the term I asked, what does that stand for, and the wife said, "Double Income No Kids".

So, me in my ability to think quick said, "Well you are Double Income Children Keepers, that makes you a couple DI_ _ s". There was a moment of silence, then realizing what I had said, we all bust out laughing.

To this day, it comes up everytime we get together.

I don't get in here often at all anymore but this one had me laughing till I was crying. cry

I end most all of my family phone calls with "Love Ya" and ended a phone call with a male co-worker that way one day last year. Silence at the other end before he burst out laughing.
Last edited by corkygirl; 11/28/14 10:34 PM.

Return to Top
#1979879 - 12/01/14 03:30 PM Re: Awkward Penguins ComplianceDude
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
Oh Corky! I did that to the kids dad more than once in the first couple years after our divorce. Geeze it ticked me off!!!

Return to Top
#1980082 - 12/01/14 09:48 PM Re: Awkward Penguins ComplianceDude
ComplianceDude Offline
New Poster
ation Location Location
"How are your kids?" to a co-worker who has no children.

Generally, not remembering who has kids, how many they have, their genders, ages, or names.

Return to Top
#1984876 - 12/23/14 05:34 PM Re: Awkward Penguins ComplianceDude
ItNeverEnds CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
Looking for my sanity
I thought of this thread this morning as I made an a** out of my self. I'm at the McDonalds drive thru where I go every morning to get my crack, I mean, diet coke. I'm only half listening because I already know exactly what he's going to say, "do you want anything else" I'll say no, he'll say "ok, that's going to be $1.06, at the first window". So I'm going through the motions of ordering, and I decide to open this little note my 9 year old daughter wrote me this morning. It starts out with "I love you so much , hope you have a great day..." anyway, I'm looking at it thinking she's such a sweet kid, the McDonalds dude finishes telling me how much my order is and I respond "I love you"! OMG. I was so embarassed. When I got to the window I was praying that he clicked off his headset. I played it off like I didn't say anything! Lol. Head smack. blush shocked whistle

Return to Top
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7