Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1975930 - 11/12/14 10:54 PM Cash out refi for down payment, Refi or purchase?
JC (Darth HMDA) Offline
Diamond Poster
JC (Darth HMDA)
CA

Hello everyone,

I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

We have a borrower who submitted two loan applications simultaneously. One application was a cash-out refi for which the proceeds would be used as a down payment. The other loan was to purchase the property the down payment was for.

For HMDA reporting purposes, is the cash-out refi a refi or a purchase? The funds are used as part of a purchase, but we are also doing the purchase loan.

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#1975986 - 11/13/14 02:58 PM Re: Cash out refi for down payment, Refi or purchase? JC (Darth HMDA)
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
I would report it as a purchase. Anyone else?

Return to Top
#1975990 - 11/13/14 03:07 PM Re: Cash out refi for down payment, Refi or purchase? JC (Darth HMDA)
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
2 loans that together purchase a home is the same IMO as 2 loans that together refinance one, that is, both would be reported as purchases (as both loans that together satisfied and replaced an original dwelling-secured loan would be reported as refinances).

Return to Top
#1976094 - 11/13/14 04:51 PM Re: Cash out refi for down payment, Refi or purchase? JC (Darth HMDA)
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
I agree this is a purchase. It's a dwelling secured loan to purchase a dwelling.

Return to Top
#1976513 - 11/14/14 06:27 PM Re: Cash out refi for down payment, Refi or purchase? JC (Darth HMDA)
JC (Darth HMDA) Offline
Diamond Poster
JC (Darth HMDA)
CA
Thank you all so much for your opnions. Always nice to have confirmations (and some HMDA peace of mind). Thank you!!

Return to Top
#1981430 - 12/05/14 09:33 PM Re: Cash out refi for down payment, Refi or purchase? JC (Darth HMDA)
RSC Offline
I have the same scenario as CRA/HMDA Guy. But, before the loans closed the customer changed their mind and wants to change the cash out loan from a term loan to a HELOC to be paid when property sells. Do I report the Cash out loan as Approved Not Taken or do not report it at all? We do not report HELOC's.

Return to Top
#1981462 - 12/05/14 10:30 PM Re: Cash out refi for down payment, Refi or purchase? JC (Darth HMDA)
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
I would treat it as "approved not accepted" (like you say) and then basically treat it like a new request. You don't need to do a new application, but you should have given HELOC disclosures. The date you learned of this was the "action date" for the "not accepted" application.

Return to Top
#1981465 - 12/05/14 10:43 PM Re: Cash out refi for down payment, Refi or purchase? JC (Darth HMDA)
RSC Offline
Thanks David, I thought that was the case but, I wasn't 100% sure of myself.

Return to Top

Moderator:  SMQ, CRCM