Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1974001 - 11/04/14 05:11 PM Two Weeks Notice
toxfox13 Offline
New Poster
Springfield MO
I recently put in my two weeks and was suprised to find I was not asked to leave that day. I have only worked in one bank prior to this position and their policy was to go ahead and cut the risk and have the employee leave. Is this a normal policy? I was hoping for the extra time off to be honest. Now I am stuck at my desk while everyone around me seems to think I am completely invisible....Jury is out on whether that is a good thing or a bad one.

Return to Top
Human Resources
#1974005 - 11/04/14 05:16 PM Re: Two Weeks Notice toxfox13
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
Depends on the position. Loan officers, wealth management officers, branch managers - out to prevent them from taking additional information or customers.

Like you, I resigned one bank and hoping for some R&R. The Audit Committee chair thought otherwise and had me schedule an Audit Committee meeting for the afternoon 2 weeks later on my last day.

Return to Top
#1974009 - 11/04/14 05:28 PM Re: Two Weeks Notice toxfox13
toxfox13 Offline
New Poster
Springfield MO
Ohh that sucks! I am the equivalent of a personal banker as well as a teller. I guess I take it as a compliment that they obviously trust and/or need me enough to keep me around. But I have SO MUCH packing to do!

Return to Top
#1974018 - 11/04/14 05:45 PM Re: Two Weeks Notice toxfox13
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
So you're not only changing jobs - you're changing locations? Sounds exciting.

A lot depends on the bank where you work. Being in compliance I have never been asked to leave immediately; however others have. Since you're moving away that may have a lot to do with it - you won't be in direct competition.

Return to Top
#1974039 - 11/04/14 06:59 PM Re: Two Weeks Notice toxfox13
toxfox13 Offline
New Poster
Springfield MO
That is true, and even better, my job change is to be a stay at home mom to our 3 year old. Hopefully after we get married in March we will try to add a baby to the mix smile (I apparently have an affinity for chaos with a 3yr old boy, 9 month old Belgian Malinois, and a 10 week old Mastiff) I won't be moving far and could commute, however I have been incredibly unhappy at work the last year and a half and decided I was done putting up with it. (drama drama horrible people blah blah blah)

Return to Top
#1974131 - 11/04/14 09:52 PM Re: Two Weeks Notice toxfox13
Milby Offline
Platinum Poster
Tejas
Mixed bag. One bank asked me to leave the day I turned in notice. The other asked me if I could stay 3-4 weeks (I said no); that was crazy - I had full access to the entire system and they didn't even cut/reduce my access until after I left for the last time.

Congrats on the career change! smile Best decision my wife ever made was to give up the day job to stay home with our kids (and dogs!).

Return to Top
#1974165 - 11/05/14 01:20 PM Re: Two Weeks Notice Milby
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
I left three different jobs, gave 2 weeks notice each time, was never asked to leave early.

Return to Top
#1974245 - 11/05/14 04:03 PM Re: Two Weeks Notice toxfox13
toxfox13 Offline
New Poster
Springfield MO
Thanks milby! Honestly we won't be losing much money and everyone will be happier. I couldn't be more excited!!!

Return to Top
#1974520 - 11/05/14 09:02 PM Re: Two Weeks Notice toxfox13
HappyGilmore Online
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
never been asked t leave early either...although there was this one time we both agreed that my 2-week notice would begin immediately and be taken using my 2 week remaining vacation...

one bank i gave my notice, when i was leaving that last night realized i was the last person and had to call someone back for me to give them my keys...

Return to Top
#1974656 - 11/06/14 01:46 PM Re: Two Weeks Notice toxfox13
osucpa Offline
Diamond Poster
Never asked to leave early. I always try to promote a smooth transition. Never want to burn bridges.

Return to Top
#1975185 - 11/07/14 05:23 PM Re: Two Weeks Notice toxfox13
MyKidsMom Offline
Platinum Poster
MyKidsMom
TEXAS
We sometimes ask them to leave immediately and if we do, we don't pay them their two weeks notice.

Return to Top
#1975228 - 11/07/14 06:24 PM Re: Two Weeks Notice toxfox13
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
I've always given 2 weeks notice and sometimes been asked to stay an extra week or two. Whether I did or not depends on my reason for leaving in the first place.

Return to Top
#1975382 - 11/07/14 10:27 PM Re: Two Weeks Notice toxfox13
fun grandma Offline
fun grandma
midwest
The last time I gave my two weeks notice it was while the examiners were there. I was asked by the CEO not to tell the examiners I was leaving. On my last day I emailed the examiners and let them know I was leaving.
It was also not announced to the other employees I was leaving until the last couple of days.
Made for a very strange last two weeks!

Return to Top
#1975451 - 11/10/14 02:47 PM Re: Two Weeks Notice MyKidsMom
HappyGilmore Online
10K Club
Originally Posted By: MyKidsMom
We sometimes ask them to leave immediately and if we do, we don't pay them their two weeks notice.

ouch...seems petty if the bank is asking them to leave.

Return to Top
#1975494 - 11/10/14 05:48 PM Re: Two Weeks Notice HappyGilmore
ItNeverEnds CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
Looking for my sanity
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore

ouch...seems petty if the bank is asking them to leave.

Agree, this is petty. And this just happened to me. I was the first one asked not to stay the two weeks (everyone else they let stay except a loan officer, but he didn't give two weeks he just quit - they even gave severance to 2 people they fired!). I gave my two weeks, ticked off the CEO so bad he decided to let me go that day and didn't pay me the two weeks. It's a tacky practice, especially in a small town where they boast being the "best bank in town". Hmmm, if that's the case, wouldn't you want to treat someone who had been a long time loyal employee better than that? It certainly solidified that my decision to leave was the right one.

Return to Top
#1975605 - 11/11/14 01:13 PM Re: Two Weeks Notice toxfox13
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I was the first one asked not to stay the two weeks (everyone else they let stay except a loan officer, but he didn't give two weeks he just quit - they even gave severance to 2 people they fired!).

Sounds like a perfect opportunity to sue them for discrimination if you ask me, depending on whether or not you are in a protected class. Have an attorney draft a letter to the CEO and see if you can secure yourself a little bonus check smile

Every bank should have a written policy regarding what action the bank may or may not take upon termination notice by the employee.

Return to Top
#1975814 - 11/12/14 07:35 PM Re: Two Weeks Notice toxfox13
MyKidsMom Offline
Platinum Poster
MyKidsMom
TEXAS

I agree that it's petty. I don't like it. Not my rule.

Return to Top
#1975834 - 11/12/14 08:00 PM Re: Two Weeks Notice toxfox13
JWills, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
JWills, CRCM
The Mitten State
Been at one bank, still here, over 22 years later. Yup, I am pretty boring.

Others have left, some they have asked to leave before the two weeks are up, others not.

--Dr. Seuss

Return to Top
#1976664 - 11/15/14 12:39 AM Re: Two Weeks Notice rlcarey
ItNeverEnds CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
Looking for my sanity
Originally Posted By: rlcarey
I was the first one asked not to stay the two weeks (everyone else they let stay except a loan officer, but he didn't give two weeks he just quit - they even gave severance to 2 people they fired!).

Sounds like a perfect opportunity to sue them for discrimination if you ask me, depending on whether or not you are in a protected class. Have an attorney draft a letter to the CEO and see if you can secure yourself a little bonus check smile

Every bank should have a written policy regarding what action the bank may or may not take upon termination notice by the employee.

This was my exact thought Randy! I've been trying to decide if I should make this request myself or go straight to an attorney and get them to draft a letter. Protected class, well, I'm a 42 year old woman, just ended cancer treatment this past year, worked almost every day through radiation, chemo and more chemo, received stellar performance appraisals and acknowledgement emails from BOD members and Pres/CEO, but because I decided to leave, they punish me.

Return to Top
#1983996 - 12/18/14 03:23 PM Re: Two Weeks Notice toxfox13
Lori01 Offline
100 Club
VT
Seems to me “being asked to leave” and not getting paid for the time you said you would work (2 weeks) is the equivalent to being fired….as you are leaving on their terms, not yours. If that ever happened to me I would definitely push back.

Return to Top
#1984009 - 12/18/14 03:32 PM Re: Two Weeks Notice toxfox13
#Just Jay Online
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
But its not because, well, you quit.

Return to Top
#1984028 - 12/18/14 03:48 PM Re: Two Weeks Notice Lori01
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Originally Posted By: Lori01
If that ever happened to me I would definitely push back.

I'm curious, how would you push back??? What do you have that will get their attention?

Return to Top
#1984146 - 12/18/14 06:11 PM Re: Two Weeks Notice toxfox13
Lori01 Offline
100 Club
VT
I would point out two things (by letter to HR):
telling the employee to leave without pay after notice has been given, could turn a voluntary resignation into an involuntary termination and potentially make the employee eligible for state unemployment compensation for any period of interrupted employment.
Second, a termination action without pay sends a negative message to the rest of the workforce, i.e., if you give notice as requested, you may be penalized. As a result, morale will be hurt, and they likely will not receive many advance notices of future resignations.

I might also ask if they also required other employees, especially those under 40, to leave without working out the notice? What about those retiring? The minute they announce retirement are they required to leave?

Sometimes just asking if everyone is treated the same is all it takes to “wake up” an HR department. Sorry to HR professionals here but some of the things I have seen over the year would make your hair stand on end.

Return to Top
#1984348 - 12/19/14 02:30 PM Re: Two Weeks Notice Lori01
HappyGilmore Online
10K Club

telling the employee to leave without pay after notice has been given, could turn a voluntary resignation into an involuntary termination and potentially make the employee eligible for state unemployment compensation for any period of interrupted employment.

we accept your resignation, but we make the date today because of your access to critical information, thank you for your service

Second, a termination action without pay sends a negative message to the rest of the workforce, i.e., if you give notice as requested, you may be penalized. As a result, morale will be hurt, and they likely will not receive many advance notices of future resignations.

if they follow this pattern for all employees, then not receiving advanced notification doesn't really matter because whenever you resign it is your last day. additionally, I fail to see how this would hurt morale, you are leaving, and the employees staying likely don't care a hill of beans if you get paid 2 weeks or not. it does not have impact to them.

I might also ask if they also required other employees, especially those under 40, to leave without working out the notice? What about those retiring? The minute they announce retirement are they required to leave?

I don't think any competent HR person would provide a response to this other than it is not germane to the situation. Retirement versus quitting is apples/oranges comparison.

Return to Top
#1984360 - 12/19/14 02:52 PM Re: Two Weeks Notice toxfox13
Dazed Auditor Offline
Platinum Poster
Dazed Auditor
Acceptance, USA America
Isn't a standard practice to provide two weeks notice when resigning? Perhaps I'm stuck in the stone ages. I didn't think it was professional to resign as you walk out the door never to return.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry