Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1984710 - 12/22/14 08:19 PM ID and CIP for NRA and Canadian citizens
BSA/AML Offline
Good afternoon,

We are starting to see an increase in loan requests being made for NRA's and also Canadian citizens. In our CIP policy at least one form or US ID is required whether it be an ITIN, US Visa, or Driver's license as well as Passport and ID from country of issuance. OFAC and ID verification are ran as well as their name being ran through world check. Because we have an exam coming in the next year and we are just starting to handle these types of accounts I want to make sure we are collecting as much as possible on these potential customers and was hoping to find out how other banks and BSA officers handle identifying these types of customers if they do in fact bank them. Thank you.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1984711 - 12/22/14 08:25 PM Re: ID and CIP for NRA and Canadian citizens BSA/AML
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
We bank a lot of NRAs and actively lend to those who qualify. On the BSA side, we require a valid passport as a primary ID and a second non-documentary form of ID as well. They must pass through sanctions screening as well.

The only forms of TINs we will accept are SSN, ITIN or a foreign passport and jurisdiction of issuance.

Return to Top
#2067892 - 03/07/16 07:41 PM Re: ID and CIP for NRA and Canadian citizens BSA/AML
New Manager Offline
100 Club
I worked at a very small bank for years and have had no exposure to NRAs until now. For CIP purposes, am I correct in thinking that for an NRA we can either use an ITIN or another ID number, such as a passport number? The ITIN would be required for an interest-bearing account, but not necessarily for CIP.

Return to Top
#2067898 - 03/07/16 07:49 PM Re: ID and CIP for NRA and Canadian citizens New Manager
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
For a non U.S. person, the "identifying number" can be either a U.S. TIN or a number provided by the country of origin with a satisfactory description; e.g. a passport number. If you also receive a U.S. TIN you would use it for information reporting.

Do what ACB does...

Return to Top
#2067959 - 03/08/16 01:47 PM Re: ID and CIP for NRA and Canadian citizens BSA/AML
New Manager Offline
100 Club
Thank you!

Return to Top
#2072690 - 04/06/16 05:36 PM Re: ID and CIP for NRA and Canadian citizens BSA/AML
*W*W* Offline
Platinum Poster
if they individual has a SSN and state issued ID, how do I know they are a non-US person?

Opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect the views of my employer.

Return to Top
#2072701 - 04/06/16 06:01 PM Re: ID and CIP for NRA and Canadian citizens BSA/AML
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
You ask them.

Return to Top
#2072785 - 04/07/16 08:55 AM Re: ID and CIP for NRA and Canadian citizens rlcarey
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
For any individual, "Citizenship?" is the first due diligence question.

Return to Top
#2072829 - 04/07/16 02:37 PM Re: ID and CIP for NRA and Canadian citizens BSA/AML
VMcKinsey Offline
VMcKinsey
TN
What about a Resident Alien?

CSR opened an account yesterday and the RA had his passport, visa, driver's license but no green card (perm residency card). While becoming a resident alien, his lawyer told him his VISA was suffice documentation, he didn't need a green card. It was my understanding that you need the green card to work in the US? He has a business with his brother. The CSR opened a business account for them but for the customer he also opened a personal account and requested a credit card. They gave it to him.

So to clarify, is a green card (perm residency card) required to work in the US?

Return to Top
#2072833 - 04/07/16 03:13 PM Re: ID and CIP for NRA and Canadian citizens BSA/AML
Daisy Doodle Offline
Diamond Poster
Southern U.S.
You do not need a green card to work in the US. You need a work visa. Lots of people work in the US legally without green cards.

Return to Top
#2072976 - 04/07/16 10:48 PM Re: ID and CIP for NRA and Canadian citizens BSA/AML
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
What sort of visa?

Return to Top
#2073163 - 04/08/16 07:29 PM Re: ID and CIP for NRA and Canadian citizens VMcKinsey
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
You do not need a green card to work in the U.S., but you do need DHS permission. Too much here to fix...suggest you call the customer back in and start over. (Disregard anything his lawyer said or is purported to have said: Never take advice from the other guy's lawyer.)

Return to Top
#2073221 - 04/08/16 09:45 PM Re: ID and CIP for NRA and Canadian citizens BSA/AML
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
(Disregard anything his lawyer said or is purported to have said: Never take advice from the other guy's lawyer.)

Best advice ever!!!

Return to Top
#2073431 - 04/11/16 06:54 PM Re: ID and CIP for NRA and Canadian citizens BSA/AML
*W*W* Offline
Platinum Poster
so, every deposit and loan application should ask, "Are you a U.S. Citizen? yes or no"

Return to Top
#2073433 - 04/11/16 06:57 PM Re: ID and CIP for NRA and Canadian citizens BSA/AML
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Well, using applications is one way to gather this information.

Return to Top
#2073456 - 04/11/16 07:57 PM Re: ID and CIP for NRA and Canadian citizens rlcarey
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
I suggest you ask them for the name of the country where they are a citizen, not just whether or not they are a U.S. citizen. (Ask one question instead of two.)

Return to Top
#2073468 - 04/11/16 08:34 PM Re: ID and CIP for NRA and Canadian citizens BSA/AML
*W*W* Offline
Platinum Poster
we still use paper apps on both sides. Without putting it on the app, how do we bring that up in conversation?

Return to Top
#2073474 - 04/11/16 08:46 PM Re: ID and CIP for NRA and Canadian citizens BSA/AML
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
You ask them when you ask them to show you identification documents for CIP. I'm sure you have a CIP checklist. After all, isn't that what we are talking about.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z