I could use wiper blades if you're still shopping for me. wink

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1985128 - 12/24/14 04:37 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL Dani York, CRCM
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Good thing I save the receipt for the flannel Wallmarts nightgown. At $12.00 at least he bought the good stuff. smile

CAMS

Return to Top
#1985129 - 12/24/14 04:38 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL GuitarDude
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: GuitarDude
Originally Posted By: DD Regs
Heads to speedway to get the Christmas slimjims and jerky. Lottery Tickets,
Air freshners
Big Cans of whatever is 2 for 2.22

I could use wiper blades if you're still shopping for me. wink

Wiper blades in CA? laugh

CAMS

Return to Top
#1985131 - 12/24/14 04:39 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL HappyGilmore
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
That's the problem, Ed. We get rain about every 2 years so they rot and never get used. Then they just cause the bird doody to streak across the windshield.

Return to Top
#1985134 - 12/24/14 04:44 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL HappyGilmore
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore

not a scrooge at all, I love Christmas, but to me it is more about spending time with family...way too often people judge their worth by what they give and/or receive...

I agree, but it is very hurtful to open something and know that the gift was a last minute effort with absolutely no thought whatsoever behind it. I would have been super happy with the nightgown had it been something that fit properly and didn't make me look like my grandma.

My current husband is a huge procrastinator, but he at least gets me things that look pretty, even if they are from the drugstore on Christmas Eve.

Return to Top
#1985135 - 12/24/14 04:46 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL HappyGilmore
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
How about a nice ice mud scraper. smirk
Last edited by DD Regs; 12/24/14 04:46 PM.

Return to Top
#1985137 - 12/24/14 04:45 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL Dani York, CRCM
ahkcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Originally Posted By: Dani York, CRCM
QM, my ex was almost just as bad. One year I bought him a new guitar. He gave me an ugly flannel mumu-style night gown from Walmart that probably cost about $12. I wasn't even fat then!!!! mad

I have learned to NEVER buy my wife clothes or anything practical. Sometimes why I wait so late is because I have troubles finding things. Internet has made it much easier now and allowed me to be done earlier this year. One of the things I got her was a Treasured Letter book. It is a book that is for her and our daughter to write letters back and forth and keepsake box for them.

Return to Top
#1985140 - 12/24/14 04:49 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL HappyGilmore
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
I love practical gifts as long is it is something I have asked for and will actually use. Don't get me a belnder, I won't use it. Get me the new underwear and socks I need. Just be sure to wrap them all separately, 'cuz I love ripping open the wrapping paper! smile

Return to Top
#1985144 - 12/24/14 05:02 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL HappyGilmore
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
Dani I'm the same way!! I love the act of opening presents. It's so exciting.

I know what my main gift is this year. It's circular, sparkly and commemorates our 15 years of marriage. I cannot wait to open it. I'm seriously considering opening it tonight so I don't have to share my special moment with anybody but my hubby. He had it custom made just for me.

Return to Top
#1985145 - 12/24/14 05:03 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL HappyGilmore
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
My husband took me shopping for a purse over the weekend for my Christmas present. It was his idea and although I did need one (old one was falling apart and very embarrassing); I would prefer to be 'surprised'. He just doesn't get that - his daughter wants money to get Lasik surgery. My greatest pleasure at Christmas is surprising people with the gifts I've chosen for them.

Return to Top
#1985146 - 12/24/14 05:04 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL HappyGilmore
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
I bought my wife a tv for the kitchen. That way she can stay in there more often! laugh

I mean, no, that's not it at all. She wanted one. I thought it was a bit better than fuzzy slippers or a new toaster.

We're pretty practical, in general, and spend way more on family than we do on each other. Last night we were sorting things to make sure everything gets to the right family event and I had to comment on the fact that the dog has twice as many things down there as I do, and her grandpa has even more than the dog!

Oh well, bringing joy to others is the goal, and we try to make sure everything is meaningful and not just a "thing". We do homemade things every year too, to supplement a small purchased gift. Works well enough. This year people are getting homemade peach jam, and a jar of rosemary garlic salt. It's no swimming pool, or jelly of the month club subscription, but it usually works out!

Return to Top
#1985154 - 12/24/14 05:18 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL HappyGilmore
Busy Bee, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
PacificNW
My son has been working for my dad the last couple of days and told us about one of the guys he was working with yesterday. He still hadn't shopped for his wife yet and was asking the rest of the crew what he should get her. They asked what she likes and he said clothes, make up, and sparkly things. They suggested an outfit or jewelry. He says, "Naw...I'll just get her a gym membership. She'll like that." My son was laughing and said, "Dude...you're sleeping on the couch if you do that!! I'm 17 and I know way better than to do that!" laugh

Return to Top
#1985157 - 12/24/14 05:31 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL Skittles
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
Originally Posted By: Skittles
My husband took me shopping for a purse over the weekend for my Christmas present. It was his idea and although I did need one (old one was falling apart and very embarrassing); I would prefer to be 'surprised'. He just doesn't get that - his daughter wants money to get Lasik surgery. My greatest pleasure at Christmas is surprising people with the gifts I've chosen for them.

I wouldn't want my husband picking out a purse for me - never. He bought a dress for me years ago that was just hideous. It had to be returned. frown He meant well, but he just doesn't have an eye for things like that. I generally buy what I want all year. Then he can buy me sparkly things to surprise me. smile

Return to Top
#1985164 - 12/24/14 05:49 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL Dani York, CRCM
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Originally Posted By: Dani York, CRCM

I agree, but it is very hurtful to open something and know that the gift was a last minute effort with absolutely no thought whatsoever behind it. I would have been super happy with the nightgown had it been something that fit properly and didn't make me look like my grandma.

I totally agree. It doesn't have to be big and expensive. Just something that shows some thought was put into it. Gift certificates are ok if it's a decent store and not just a generic gift card or a Wal-Mart card. And definitely not one scribbled on a scrap piece of paper and stuffed into your stocking at the last minute. That was the year that nothing was under the tree and you could tell the hand-written "gift certificates" were a last minute thought. It was after that my daughter started buying things and putting her dad's name on it.
Last edited by Queen Mum; 12/24/14 05:51 PM.
Return to Top
#1985171 - 12/24/14 06:18 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL HappyGilmore
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
some of my more interesting gifts over the years:

-5 disc CD changer (when they first came out, we didn't have one, she wanted one for the house)

-new flat screen TV (see above)

-iPad (see above)

-MP3 player (see above)

-kitchen table (I kid you not, also see above)

-fire pit (see above)

-new blue jeans, because the one I have are "out of style" (hey, if they're good enough for Drew Brees, Bret Favre, and Dale Earnhardt Jr, they should be good enough for me)

-new sunglasses, because the ones I have she didn't like (did I mention that she bought me those ones too the year before?)

I know MsGilmore stresses greatly about Christmas, and every year I tell her not to get me anything...falls on deaf ears...

Return to Top
#1985172 - 12/24/14 06:22 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL HappyGilmore
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
(when they first came out, we didn't have one, she wanted one for the house)

Are you as old as Pale?

CAMS

Return to Top
#1985174 - 12/24/14 06:29 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL edAudit
'Lil Freak! Offline
10K Club
'Lil Freak!
The psych ward
I still haven't wrapped anything. Maybe this evening. Practical stuff this year, nothing big. I do need to get the panties out of my trunk and get a card to stick cash in so she can buy fabric (PLEASE DON'T MAKE ME GO INTO A FABRIC STORE...PLEASE!)

Maybe I'll just skip the card and put the cash in the panties. Hmmm...I'm liking that idea.....

Return to Top
#1985179 - 12/24/14 07:20 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL edAudit
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: edAudit
(when they first came out, we didn't have one, she wanted one for the house)

Are you as old as Pale?

I don't think i'm even as old as any of Pale's shoes...we are on our 4th kitchen table since we were married...not including the 2 dining room tables, of course...this one is about 4 years old, so it is likely coming up to the end of the expected life cycle...although every one we've owned is currently sitting in our garage...

Return to Top
#1985181 - 12/24/14 07:44 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL HappyGilmore
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
For Pale's first Christmas, he got fire. He always has to have the latest technology. laugh

Return to Top
#1985185 - 12/24/14 09:00 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL HappyGilmore
BetsyS Offline
Gold Star
Every year my grandma would go to the store and have them set aside my grandpa's present to her, and then she sent him in to "Christmas shop". One year he put his foot down and told her he was picking out his own present to her. That's the year she ended up with a padded toilet seat... No joke; he thought it would make her life easier. Grandpa never did much shopping after that.

Return to Top
#1985218 - 12/26/14 03:25 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL TMatt87
ComplianceDude Offline
New Poster
ation Location Location
Originally Posted By: TMatt87
Nothing beats cash.

False. Cash: it's the gift that says "Go buy your own d#@$ gift." Gift cards (and gift certificates - is that still a thing?) deliver the same message.

And ladies, what is up with hanging a stocking as an adult? Never heard of that. You don't still [SPOILER ALERT] believe in Santa, right? Or is the stocking hung, knowing it will be ignored, as an act of planned martyrdom? laugh

And Happy, I (almost) can't imagine what is being done wrong to a kitchen table that it only lasts 4 years.

Return to Top
#1985221 - 12/26/14 03:31 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL HappyGilmore
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
"And Happy, I (almost) can't imagine what is being done wrong to a kitchen table that it only lasts 4 years."

Maybe Mrs. Happy rebuilds the engine of her Harley Davidson on it every few years.
Last edited by noelekal; 12/26/14 03:31 PM.

Return to Top
#1985222 - 12/26/14 03:32 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL HappyGilmore
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
nothing wrong with them, they all work fine...she just sees a new one she likes and thinks we need to replace the existing...she does the same thing with colors on our walls, decorations around the house, outdoor décor as well...we've replaced every inside light fixture at least twice - some 3 or 4 times, every ceiling fan at least 2x, interior doors once, exterior doors (back 3x, front 2x), floors 3x...I feel like i'm constantly living one of those HGTV specials...

Return to Top
#1985224 - 12/26/14 03:33 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL HappyGilmore
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
oh, and cash is great...especially if the recipient is planning a large purchase and will compile numerous cash gifts to make it...

Return to Top
#1985225 - 12/26/14 03:32 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL HappyGilmore
Bec Offline
Diamond Poster
Bec
The Great White North
Being the gender that I am, I feel like I just don't have that shopping gene or something. I wait til the last minute and sometimes don't do anything at all. We had to move present opening to this Saturday because I don't have my stuff together. We'll be wrapping tonight. 2 out of the 4 kids are old enough to say, Christmas with no presents whaaa???? I haven't bought my husband anything for the last two years, using the whole I am bearing your children present excuse smile I figured I should probably do SOMETHING for him this year (Even though I beared him another one in August....but this time it was a girl so she is all mines). I got him a gift card to Fleet Farm and a bag of almonds. Now my sister.....that woman can SHOP.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4