BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#1985228 - 12/26/14 03:38 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL HappyGilmore
ahkcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
After I left work on Wednesday I stopped at the drug store to get a gallon of milk. As I was in line waiting for the cashier, there was a man and woman in front of me with a cart full of stuff. They were kind to let me go in front of them. I asked if they were getting last minute gifts and then the lady replied "No, we are just now starting."

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1985230 - 12/26/14 03:39 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL HappyGilmore
Bec Offline
Diamond Poster
Bec
The Great White North
^^^^Wasn't it nice i let you go in front of us! Just kidding that wasn't me but it could have been smile

Return to Top
#1985231 - 12/26/14 03:41 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL HappyGilmore
ahkcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
It was nice Bec! Thanks!

Return to Top
#1985241 - 12/26/14 04:17 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL ahkcompliance
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Praise be unto Amazon! I make notes on a "Christmas List" all year long. In early November, I start putting things into my cart. At some point I click "submit" and boxes large and small begin showing up shortly thereafter. (I always include something nice for myself.)

Return to Top
#1985259 - 12/26/14 05:26 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL HappyGilmore
FOerther Offline
New Poster
Texas
I enjoy it when others open gifts that my wife and I put so much thought into purchasing. I am just as surprised by the gift as the person that receives it.

Return to Top
#1985268 - 12/26/14 06:52 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL Elwood P. Dowd
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Originally Posted By: FOerther
I enjoy it when others open gifts that my wife and I put so much thought into purchasing. I am just as surprised by the gift as the person that receives it.

Funny! My husband is the same.

Originally Posted By: Ken_Pegasus
Praise be unto Amazon! I make notes on a "Christmas List" all year long. In early November, I start putting things into my cart. At some point I click "submit" and boxes large and small begin showing up shortly thereafter. (I always include something nice for myself.)

Brilliant! I think this will be on my 2015 To-Do list. I don't know why I never thought of that.

Return to Top
#1985312 - 12/27/14 07:06 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL Elwood P. Dowd
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Originally Posted By: Ken_Pegasus

I build a cart / wish list all year long as well, and then check it every couple of days. When Amazon tells me there's a price drop, I can hit BUY and save some money! (I was also very lucky this year that a lot of the stuff I already had in my cart went on lightning deals between November 1 and December 15.)

Return to Top
#1985368 - 12/29/14 05:10 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL HappyGilmore
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
I bought something and then even got an e-mail from Amazon that they have refunded me $28.01 as there was a price drop! Never had that happen before.

Return to Top
#1991972 - 01/28/15 09:23 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL HappyGilmore
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Not the original post subject, but the thread title works.

Are any of the Men of BOL (Sounds like a calendar laugh ) a member of the Dollar Shave Club.

I keep getting emails, and see the ads on FB and on Yahoo, and it seems like a good deal.

Return to Top
#1991984 - 01/28/15 09:31 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL HappyGilmore
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
Nope, not a member of the Dollar Shave Club.

Being eccentric, I shaved this morning with a vintage 1949 Gillette Executive razor loaded with an Astra double-edged blade. Blades last a week each and one can buy a hundred of 'em for twelve bucks shipped.

Return to Top
#1991988 - 01/28/15 09:33 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL HappyGilmore
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
I've been using Mach 3 for almost 20 years. Haven't found an equal yet.

Return to Top
#1991990 - 01/28/15 09:35 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL HappyGilmore
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
BS, (No, I am not calling you names, but that sure looks funny) I too use the Mach 3 and like it a lot. The Dollar Shave Club razor seems like a Mach 4.

Return to Top
#1991995 - 01/28/15 09:42 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL HappyGilmore
TMatt87 Offline
Diamond Poster
TMatt87
Idaho
I'm a member of dollar shave club. I like the razors. I think they are comparable to the mach 3 or fusion blades. Luckily I am not a customer facing employee, so I can get by with shaving every other day, so a 4 pack lasts me almost 2 months.

Return to Top
#1992006 - 01/28/15 10:06 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL HappyGilmore
Purple Pride Offline
Purple Pride
Where I am supposed to be
I am a member also. I shave about every other day with the 6 blade razor and it does a good job. My 4 pack also lasts me 2 months.

Return to Top
#1992011 - 01/28/15 10:15 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL HappyGilmore
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Anyone try "Shave Secret"? It comes in a tiny little bottle and is an oil-based liquid for shaving.

I tried it, and it works pretty well.

Return to Top
#1992015 - 01/28/15 10:23 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL noelekal
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Originally Posted By: noelekal
Nope, not a member of the Dollar Shave Club.

Being eccentric, I shaved this morning with a vintage 1949 Gillette Executive razor loaded with an Astra double-edged blade. Blades last a week each and one can buy a hundred of 'em for twelve bucks shipped.

I switched to a butterfly razor with the double-edged blades a while back and I like them. A blade lasts me a week as well and I bought 200 of them for around $20 on Amazon. I use the "Lord" brand.

Return to Top
#1992020 - 01/28/15 10:30 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL GuitarDude
Peepers Offline
10K Club
how long a blade lasts depends on what you're shaving

I prefer to take off the first layer with a weed wacker

Return to Top
#1992033 - 01/28/15 10:58 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL GuitarDude
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
Originally Posted By: GuitarDude

I switched to a butterfly razor with the double-edged blades a while back and I like them. A blade lasts me a week as well and I bought 200 of them for around $20 on Amazon. I use the "Lord" brand.

Neato! Another retro-shaver.

In about 1980 I gleefully chunked to the back of a bathroom drawer, the Gillette adjustable "FatBoy" I'd been using since back when my dad instructed me to shave off the peach fuzz from my lip before church one day in 1969, in favor of the Gillette Trac II. Proceeded on through the various Gillette marketing schemes to the Fusion.

My eldest son said: "Dad, you ought to try double-edge shaving. It's cheaper and you can get a better shave." I didn't want any part of it having hated that beastly double-edge razor for the time I was yoked to it.

Then the Fusion cartridges went from reasonably to outlandishly priced and their quality seemed to decline markedly. So, I tentatively tried an old 1940s Gillette ball-end Tech that had been my wife's grandfather's . A blood transfusion wasn't even required after the shave. Now a badger brush, '40s Old Spice mug, and a puck of Williams shave soap is a morning habit. The blades are cheap sure, but a collection of 20th century Gillette razor models sprouted on an old bathroom shelf, some of which are surprisingly expensive.
Last edited by noelekal; 01/28/15 10:58 PM.

Return to Top
#1992068 - 01/29/15 02:00 AM Re: Dear Men of BOL HappyGilmore
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I have a Merkur Futur double edge razor that is a work of art. Only thing I don't like about it is that I can not take it with me when I travel by air. I never check a bag and they won't allow the blades in your carry on. That's why my neck looks like it's been chewed on by a wolverine when I go to seminars, I'm used to the double edge and have to use disposables.

Return to Top
#1992073 - 01/29/15 12:10 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL HappyGilmore
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
I joined DSC several months ago and am very pleased with it. You have the option of 2, 4 or 6 blade cartridges, and I bought a couple extra handles. Much cheaper than buying blades at a store and is very convenient to have them arrive in the mail. I am going to change from monthly delivery to every 2 months.

Return to Top
#1992086 - 01/29/15 01:44 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL HappyGilmore
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Since I have no intention of growing out my hair and I don't have the patience to grow an awesome handlebar mustache, shaving is about the only thing in my personal routine have that I can be picky about. I really would like to invest in a nice badger hair brush and experiment with some quality shaving cream or shaving soap. The money I save on blades by using the safety razor would more than offset the cost.

Return to Top
#1992095 - 01/29/15 02:27 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL thomasj
Carolina Blue Offline
Platinum Poster
Carolina Blue
Lost in a regulatory fog
I use the Mekur 34c "Heavy Classic" and love it. You have to be a little more careful but the shave is comparable or better than any of those 4-6 blade razors. Also I just ordered 200 Wilkinson replacement blades for about $12. cool

TJ, I tried to brush and soap, but didn't think the difference was worth the cost/trouble. I went back to Gillette sensitive gel. Are you really not allowed to have safety blades in your carry on? I'm glad I haven't been stopped shocked

Return to Top
#1992115 - 01/29/15 02:49 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL HappyGilmore
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
Nope. Safety razor blades are a no-no in carry-on luggage (unless TSA overlooks them and they wouldn't ever miss anything ... uh, would they?). One might run amok with them. They're fine in checked baggage.

I can't make the double-edge razors work with any of the canned goo and have to use brush and soap/cream. The blades eat me alive with the canned stuff. My son and I obtained some high-quality badger knots from an online catalog and installed them into vintage Everready handles of our choosing. The project was good fun and the brushes have been great for a little over two years now.
Last edited by noelekal; 01/29/15 02:50 PM.

Return to Top
#1992132 - 01/29/15 03:16 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL HappyGilmore
Purple Pride Offline
Purple Pride
Where I am supposed to be
I read an article recently that advocated shaving without shaving cream as it damages your skin. I have been "dry" shaving now for about 2 months and really like it. The shave is as close or closer than with shaving cream and my skin is not nearly as sensitive. I use Johnson's baby oil for after shave and it works great.

Return to Top
#1992134 - 01/29/15 03:19 PM Re: Dear Men of BOL HappyGilmore
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
The quality and closeness of my shaves have increased exponentially when I started using an oil-based lubricant such as Tea Tree Oil or Coconut Milk/Oil. I've yet to hack up my face while using these products even with a less than stellar razor. Well worth trying, and I highly recommend giving one a try.

Return to Top
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4