Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#1985442 - 12/29/14 08:55 PM Customer requests letter with current balance
mh11 Offline
A customer has requested a letter that states his current account balance so that he can provide it at auction for the purpose of purchasing real estate. We believe this could be a privacy issue. Thoughts?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#1985449 - 12/29/14 09:00 PM Re: Customer requests letter with current balance mh11
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
If the customer wants it and you provide it to the customer, how is it a Privacy issue? What the customer does with this information is up to them. Privacy prohibits YOU from sharing that information in some situations, but it doesn't prohibit them from sharing it.

Return to Top
#1985458 - 12/29/14 09:17 PM Re: Customer requests letter with current balance mh11
burke116 Offline
Platinum Poster
Petersburg, VA
Address the letter to the customer. What they do with it after is their own business.

Return to Top
#1985567 - 12/30/14 04:25 PM Re: Customer requests letter with current balance mh11
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Your respondents have both offered good advice, but my guess is that your customer was asked to obtain a letter of credit from your bank, not a letter showing his bank balance. The latter would mean something between very little and nothing at all.

Return to Top
#1985681 - 12/30/14 09:20 PM Re: Customer requests letter with current balance mh11
BetsyS Offline
Gold Star
While I agree with Ken, I've found it depends on the Auction House. I've received several of these type of requests over the years, and some actually just want a letter of reference from the bank.

Just so there's no confusion, I usually have the customer bring in a copy of the Auction House bidder requirements.

Return to Top