Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1985688 - 12/30/14 09:34 PM LLC Account
Joanna Offline
100 Club
When opening an LLC account, our CIP states any new LLCs will have a "Certificate of Formation" and a "Certificate of Filing" instead of Articles of Organization. A new customer presented an Articles of Organization dated December 8, 2014. I am new to the compliance world and our CIP was done before I started. Can we accept the AOO?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#1985696 - 12/30/14 09:47 PM Re: LLC Account Joanna
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Assuming this specific LLC was established in your state, go to your state's Secretary of State's web site and look at the terminology used there and the types of documentation available. Make certain your SOS even provides a "Certificate of Filing" or a "Certificate of Formation." (Clearly they use the term "Articles of Organization" if someone gave you one.) Also, pull the files on a couple LLC's that have opened accounts in recent years and see exactly what documents are in those files.

My point is that whoever set up your CIP may not have used the terms actually in use in your state and no one paid any attention to the specific terminology before now. Your CIP should use the terms actually in use in your state or provide synonyms. "Articles of organization" are evidence of existence, but your CIP should list them as such before you accept them.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett