BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1986141 - 01/02/15 09:57 PM WiFi Question
beegee Offline
Diamond Poster
South
Hey guys,

We have AT&T DSL internet and AT&T landline. $100+ monthly.

We have DISH but its not connected to the internet or anything. $67 monthly

We have 3 iPhones with 10 GB of data. $200+ monthly.

However - we don't have WiFi. Best Buy recommended we buy the 802.11N AT&T wireless router with DSL modem.

We are low tech and wanted to see if anyone had any insight into that router giving us WiFi for our laptop (Toshiba Satellite), DISH, and iPhones?

Also - any thoughts on how to reduce the monthly expense?

thanks for any feedback!
Last edited by beegee; 01/02/15 09:58 PM.
Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1986151 - 01/02/15 10:35 PM Re: WiFi Question beegee
SeekingKnowledge Offline
100 Club
SeekingKnowledge
SC
I have no experience with that specific router but the N technology is the standard wireless these days. As far as thoughts on reducing bills, if you have competitors in your area for your tv and internet then all you have to do is call and tell them you are disconnecting their service. You will be transferred to a retention department where the really nice people will offer you better deals and perks than you have now. I do this annually with both internet and tv and always get a better deal. Heck, even if you don't have competitors just tell them you are disconnecting and they will probably offer you something. For home phone, look into Magic Jack or Ooma as alternatives to your local monopoly.

Return to Top
#1986152 - 01/02/15 10:46 PM Re: WiFi Question beegee
beegee Offline
Diamond Poster
South
Thanks! Do you know if we switch from AT&T to cablelinx will that router still work? Are the routers just standard or are they specific to your provider?

Return to Top
#1986153 - 01/02/15 10:47 PM Re: WiFi Question beegee
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
most routers are standard and compatible with anything...

Return to Top
#1986162 - 01/02/15 11:07 PM Re: WiFi Question beegee
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
" 802.11N AT&T wireless router with DSL modem. "

You already have a modem for your DSL. I hope they're not trying to sell you another modem with your new router. SeekingKnowledge is right, you want an N router, which is what is meant by the N after the 802.11. Usually it's a matter of sticking the wires in the right spot, and then putting a CD in your PC to tell you how to set it up. It's easy.

If you have At&T Uverse available in your area, get it to replace Dish. That might save some money.

Return to Top
#1986165 - 01/02/15 11:08 PM Re: WiFi Question beegee
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
You will want to check your Dish receiver to see if it has built-in WiFi or if an external WiFi connector can be used with it. Some satellite receivers only allow wired connection for internet.

As Happy stated, most routers are compatible with most modems and WiFi devices. I have a Belkin router that I got a good deal on several years ago for around $40 and it works great. My phone, laptop and new Roku Stick found it and connected to it quickly.

Another thing to consider if your family is interested in netwoek file sharing (especially music and/or videos) is a router that supports network accessible storage (NAS). This allows you to connect a hard drive, thumb drive or other USB drive to the network to share.

Return to Top
#1986166 - 01/02/15 11:15 PM Re: WiFi Question beegee
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
MBH brings up a good point. If you already have the modem, you don't need a router that is also a modem as it will cost more. But then that might depend if you are leasing the modem or own it outright.

For example, I have Time Warner Cable for internet (no other service from TWC). It started out with a charge for the service and $3.99/month for the modem. That was apparently a promotional price because it then jumped to $6.99/mo just to lease the modem. I went on ebay and found literally hundreds of the same model modem for sale. So I bought one for $12 and took TWC's modem to their office and canceled the lease. I just had to call them to arrange for my service to recognize the new modem.

Return to Top
#1987040 - 01/07/15 07:49 PM Re: WiFi Question beegee
Wolfy Offline
Wolfy
Mid West
You do not need to spend the money to get a router with a built in modem when your DSL speeds are so slow to start with, you will not see any difference. Just get a basic N-type wireless router.
Not all company branded routers are the same and you can not use AT&T routers on other companies services with out tech know how. (I used to work for AT&T and we did that on purpose)

Any WIFI device you listed will work with a modern wireless router.

I would check your wireless plan and see if you use up that 10gig a month, if you are only using a few hundred meg then yo can get a cheaper data plan. Also once you have WIFI you can have your phones connected to that when you are at home saving on data usage on your wireless account.

Return to Top
#1987071 - 01/07/15 08:39 PM Re: WiFi Question beegee
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Are you on the "Next" program with AT&T? It is cheaper than the family plan with AT&T. I have 3 Iphones and a tablet sharing 6 gigs of data per billing cycle and pay only $150 a month. And that is with over $40 a month just for the new Iphone 6s.

Also might consider dropping the land line.

Return to Top