The Mitten State
Great news!!!!

--Dr. Seuss

Return to Top
#1969739 - 10/16/14 02:25 PM Re: Our dog - Mandalaye Skittles
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
Does she take glucosamine for the arthritis?

Return to Top
#1969742 - 10/16/14 02:28 PM Re: Our dog - Mandalaye Skittles
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
hmdagal - we used to try to give it to her but she wouldn't take it. I guess I could buy capsules and put them in a pill pocket.

Return to Top
#1969806 - 10/16/14 03:30 PM Re: Our dog - Mandalaye Skittles
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
You could chop them up in a blender, too.

Return to Top
#1969810 - 10/16/14 03:33 PM Re: Our dog - Mandalaye Skittles
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
The little bitty coffee or spice grinders work great for reducing medication to food-friendly dust.

Return to Top
#1969833 - 10/16/14 04:01 PM Re: Our dog - Mandalaye Skittles
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Skittles, did you try liver sausage?
Honestly, I've given our dogs horse sized pills wrapped in liver sausage and they take them just fine.
You lose some of the medication when you grind it.

Return to Top
#1969846 - 10/16/14 04:23 PM Re: Our dog - Mandalaye Skittles
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
And you have small dogs, don't you Truff?

Do you mean braunschweiger (spelling?)? I didn't see 'liver sausage' at the grocery this past weekend.

Return to Top
#1969885 - 10/16/14 05:00 PM Re: Our dog - Mandalaye Skittles
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
yes, braunschweiger is the same as liver sausage.
And yes, I currently have small dogs. But this has worked on all the family dogs from Newffies to puppies with labs, collies, shelties and cockers in there too. If the hunting breeds would take it you know the medicinal smell was sufficiently masked. wink

Return to Top
#1969941 - 10/16/14 06:03 PM Re: Our dog - Mandalaye Skittles
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Have any of you used the Spring Time supplements for your dogs or horses. We've used their "Fresh Factor" for dogs for years and really like it. It seems to make a difference. They also have supplements for Hip and Joints and such:

http://www.springtimeinc.com/product/fresh-factors

Return to Top
#1987872 - 01/12/15 03:12 PM Re: Our dog - Mandalaye Skittles
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
We know that Mandy won't be with us much longer. She's almost blind now, but still eats pretty well and drinks tons of water. Knock wood she hasn't had a seizure since right before Thanksgiving. My husband has been sleeping on the couch most of the night so he can take her out when necessary. She doesn't appear to be in any pain, which is a good thing.

While she's only a 'dog' to some, to us she's so much more. Prayers would be appreciated for her and for us. Making this 'decision' will be one of the most difficult things my husband has ever had to do. She has been his constant companion for fifteen years.

Return to Top
#1987879 - 01/12/15 03:24 PM Re: Our dog - Mandalaye Skittles
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I totally understand, Skittles and my thoughts are with y'all. I called the vet out to my oldest girl, Belle, on December 1st. As would be 'typical Belle' for her, however, she took her last breath as the vet was pulling down the drive.

I'm just glad I went back home that morning and was with her...I knew it was time, she just had her own opinion of the 'how' I guess.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1987891 - 01/12/15 03:40 PM Re: Our dog - Mandalaye Skittles
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
{{HUGS}} Joker. I know how painful that must have been.

We did take Mandy to the vet on Saturday since she's apparently scratched a cornea. Bill spoke with the vet and asked if he would come to the house when it was time. This is a new vet in our area and we really like him - and of course he said he would.

Return to Top
#1987893 - 01/12/15 03:43 PM Re: Our dog - Mandalaye Skittles
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
smile I think that's always best...where they are most comfortable.

Return to Top
#1987986 - 01/12/15 06:20 PM Re: Our dog - Mandalaye Skittles
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Skittles-my prayers and hugs go out to you, your family and Mandy. It is a very difficult decision to make, but you will know when it is time.

Joker, I am sorry to hear of your loss as well.

Return to Top
#1987997 - 01/12/15 06:38 PM Re: Our dog - Mandalaye Skittles
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
I'm so very sorry to you two, Joker and Skittles. I understand totally what you are going through. We've had to put two to sleep, both due to old age, in these last months. We are devastated. Both our Aussie, Patches and our mother Rottie, Kira went over the rainbow bridge - Kira just last Friday. Patches was over 14 and Kira would have been 13 this spring.

What a crappy start to the new year.

Return to Top
#1988000 - 01/12/15 06:41 PM Re: Our dog - Mandalaye Skittles
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
Prayers for comfort. There's no such thing as "just a dog." They are members of our families.

Return to Top
#1988021 - 01/12/15 06:59 PM Re: Our dog - Mandalaye Skittles
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Our rescue, Maizey, is battling heart problems plus her syringomyelia. But her tail still wags and she's glued to my daughter whenever she's home. Echo done today says 18 months tops and maybe less depending on how she reacts to the new drug regimen. Even tho my daughter's a nurse and knows medically what she's seeing, she's still human and losing her dog won't be easy.

Comes at a time when her daughter will be going off to college too. Strangely enough, I lost my Sassafras cat at about the same time my youngest graduated HS. So I can sympathize from first hand experience. But that doesn't make it any easier.

Return to Top
#1988028 - 01/12/15 07:08 PM Re: Our dog - Mandalaye Skittles
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I'm sorry, Okie! frown Belle was Border Collie, Kelpie and Cur. A most unique dog, she was. I'm quite sure I'll never have another quite like her. She was one of the last of her lineage.

Return to Top
#1988039 - 01/12/15 07:29 PM Re: Our dog - Mandalaye Skittles
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
I am so sorry for all that have suffered such a loss. I know when I lost my lab this summer to a tumor I was as upset as losing a member of my family. Went into a weird depression that it took me months to get over.

Sending my prayers to those that have lost, and to those that are dealing with the impending loss. I wish you comfort, but I know I can't give it.

Return to Top
#1988058 - 01/12/15 07:49 PM Re: Our dog - Mandalaye Skittles
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Isn't it amazing how these animals find a permanent residence in our hearts and lives? Thank you everyone for your kind words. It could be a week - and it could be two months. While it will be difficult for me - it's going to be devastating for my husband.

Return to Top
#1988071 - 01/12/15 08:20 PM Re: Our dog - Mandalaye Skittles
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I may need therapy when my 'heart' leaves me. My heeler, Blue, is my velcro dog and I love her deeply. Belle was the "Queen of all Dogs" and very special...but she had enough Kelpie in her to be a bit distant, unlike her partner in crime, Blue, who is attached at my heels most of the time...and owns my heart.

Return to Top
#1988091 - 01/12/15 08:47 PM Re: Our dog - Mandalaye Skittles
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
We put our 14 yr old Golden Retriever down in 1998 and I could cry right now thinking about it. My husband's niece recently posted a picture of her as a very young girl and our Strohs for TBT on FB and I was so sad.. We said we would never get another pet its just too hard. Well last year our youngest daughter brought home a 3 month old tabby kitten. Needless to say "Frank" rules the house and will break our hearts some day. I'm praying for Mandy and all of you with older pets.

Return to Top
#1988132 - 01/12/15 09:48 PM Re: Our dog - Mandalaye Skittles
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Mrs. Sox and I are at different places with wanting a new dog. I am ready, she isn't. Its tough to lose them-they become such a big part of your life and family.

Return to Top
#1988142 - 01/12/15 10:08 PM Re: Our dog - Mandalaye Skittles
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
I'm so sorry for y'all's losses. It is amazing how much love comes with those little furry beasts, and how hard it is to bear the fact that their lives are a fraction of our own.

Return to Top
#1988321 - 01/13/15 05:05 PM Re: Our dog - Mandalaye Skittles
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
You know, I was with my sweet boy when he left our lives, and still all these months later I am in tears just thinking about it.

I rescued another fur baby in November, and she has my heart, I said I would hold a part back this time, so it wouldn't hurt so much when she has to go (I rescue 'older' dogs - ages 6 and up, they are harder to place and still have so much life left in them)but anyone that knows me will tell you she had me hook line and sinker within a couple of days.

They are part of the family, and bring so much joy while we are allowed to be a part of theirs. So hard to lose them, like they take a piece of us when they go. I like to think they leave a part of them with us when they go too, and make us kinder and more loving.

Return to Top
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett