Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1988408 - 01/13/15 07:34 PM Doc fee disclosed as filing fee
time flies when you're having fun Offline
Gold Star
we purchase Dealer paper and have identified an audto dealer who has improperly disclosed a doc fee (which is limited by state law and charged to all consumers who buy a vehicle regardless of whether they get credit) as a filing fee. This fee should have been separately listed as a documentation fee paid to the Dealer. Although the fee was not properly disclosed, I am thinking the improper disclosure does not trigger reimbursement since the fee is not a finance charge (because it is charged to those who receive credit and those who do not). The incorrect classification of the fee is a violation but is not a reimburseable violation. Am I viewing this correctly? Thanks for your insight.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1988430 - 01/13/15 08:02 PM Re: Doc fee disclosed as filing fee time flies when you're having fun
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
I would agree but I would also advise issuing a revised TIL showing the accurate charges in their rightful place. The amount shown as filing fees that are not actual filing fees or that are not otherwise exempt in that category would trigger the excess being a finance charge.

Issuing the revised TIL would eliminate any confusion on an auditor or examiner's part.

Return to Top
#1988438 - 01/13/15 08:12 PM Re: Doc fee disclosed as filing fee time flies when you're having fun
Gold Star
Thank you Dan. And if the amount charged exceeded the state max? I believe any amount over the state max must be refunded because of the state law, but doesn't create any additional TILA exposure. Do you agree?

Return to Top
#1988440 - 01/13/15 08:14 PM Re: Doc fee disclosed as filing fee time flies when you're having fun
Gold Star
We would in this case refund the amount that exceeded the state max and redisclose the correct doc fee and correct filing fee on a corrected TIL. Do you agree with this approach?

Return to Top
#1988441 - 01/13/15 08:15 PM Re: Doc fee disclosed as filing fee time flies when you're having fun
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
I'm not familiar with the type fee you are referring to but if the amount is limited by state law and that amount is exceeded then IMO you have a reimbursable state law violation.

Return to Top
#1988535 - 01/13/15 11:10 PM Re: Doc fee disclosed as filing fee time flies when you're having fun
Gold Star
Thank you Dan, your perspective is always much appreciated.

Return to Top
#1988536 - 01/13/15 11:12 PM Re: Doc fee disclosed as filing fee Dan Persfull
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Originally Posted By: Dan Persfull
I'm not familiar with the type fee you are referring to but if the amount is limited by state law and that amount is exceeded then IMO you have a reimbursable state law violation.

You might have more than that if this is covered under a treble damages clause in State law.

You really need to be talking to your legal counsel.

Return to Top
#1994365 - 02/06/15 11:21 PM Re: Doc fee disclosed as filing fee time flies when you're having fun
Gold Star
Thank you for your help Randy. I have another "back to the basics" Reg Z question related to Dealer loans. State law requires that a dealer doc prep fee be separately itemized on the sales agreement. However as it relates to the TIL disclosure, since the doc prep fee is charged to cash and credit clients, it is not a finance charge. I am thinking then that the fee is not required to be separately itemized on the TIL, but rather could be included in the total amount paid to the dealership, correct? Other dealer fees such as prepaid service (basic maintenance), storage, freight, environmental (paint sealant) charges may also be rolled into the amount paid to the Dealer on the TIL, and would not need to be itemized correct?

Return to Top
#1994392 - 02/07/15 01:15 PM Re: Doc fee disclosed as filing fee time flies when you're having fun
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
You are talking about direct lending or buying indirect paper? In a direct lending transaction, the itemization would reflect a check being cut to the dealer. What they may or may not be charging the borrower has no impact on your itemization of amount financed.

Return to Top
#1994405 - 02/08/15 10:20 PM Re: Doc fee disclosed as filing fee time flies when you're having fun
Gold Star
It's indirect paper Randy. So dealer charges a variety of fees as mentioned above including a doc fee, storage, maintenance, freight, etc.

Return to Top
#1995561 - 02/12/15 02:59 PM Re: Doc fee disclosed as filing fee time flies when you're having fun
Gold Star
So, here's an example -- Dealer loan purchased by bank:

Boat price 10,000
freight $1,000
storage $200
service contract with dealer $500
filing fees $49
documentation fee $75 (also paid in cash transaction, not a FC)
For a total of $11824

Is the following itemization compliant, or is further breakdown in the itemization required by Reg Z?

$11,275 vehicle price
$500 service contract to XYZ (Dealer may retain a portion)
$49 to public officials

Thank you so much for your help. It's nearly Friday...

Return to Top
#1995825 - 02/12/15 10:56 PM Re: Doc fee disclosed as filing fee time flies when you're having fun
Gold Star
anyone...anyone...Bueller...Bueller?

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z