Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1988812 - 01/15/15 01:26 PM Monitoring IAT's for Suspicious Activity
DebbieB Offline
What do you look for when monitoring IAT's for suspicious activity?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1988813 - 01/15/15 01:34 PM Re: Monitoring IAT's for Suspicious Activity DebbieB
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Why is this customer involved with international transactions?

Return to Top
#1988825 - 01/15/15 02:05 PM Re: Monitoring IAT's for Suspicious Activity DebbieB
Pat Patriot Act Offline
Gold Star
Pat Patriot Act
IAT monitoring is just like any other type of foreign transaction monitoring. Compare the values, volumes, and velocities of the transactions to what you would expect given the customer's profile. In addition, you should consider jurisdictional factors, such as the risk of the counterparty's country and whether or not their jurisdiction has funds transfer reporting requirements they may be trying to evade (e.g. Canada) by unnecessarily splitting the transactions (you would have to research exchange rate data to perform this analysis properly). Also, pay particular attention to unexpected even dollar transfers (e.g. supply purchases), cash-funded outgoing IATs, incoming IATs preceding cash withdrawals, multiple customers receiving IATs from the same unique source, and multiple customers sending IATs to the same unique source.

Return to Top
#1988877 - 01/15/15 03:20 PM Re: Monitoring IAT's for Suspicious Activity DebbieB
MagicCity Offline

Power Poster
MagicCity
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
I look at amounts and volume of activity with the same entity/person. I Google some of the names to see what the company does and document that.

Return to Top
#1988928 - 01/15/15 04:01 PM Re: Monitoring IAT's for Suspicious Activity DebbieB
DebbieB Offline
Do you have a dollar threshold at which you will contact the customer and question them about the IAT if that IAT was originated by a bank in a foreign country because you cant figure out the purpose of the IAT and it could be fraud?

Return to Top
#1988931 - 01/15/15 04:04 PM Re: Monitoring IAT's for Suspicious Activity DebbieB
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Why would you not if you thought it was fraudulent activity.

Return to Top
#1989262 - 01/16/15 03:58 PM Re: Monitoring IAT's for Suspicious Activity DebbieB
MagicCity Offline

Power Poster
MagicCity
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
If I think something is fraudulent I have no dollar threshold.
I would call the customer.

Return to Top
#1989359 - 01/16/15 06:12 PM Re: Monitoring IAT's for Suspicious Activity MagicCity
thisisme08 Offline
Originally Posted By: MagicCity
I look at amounts and volume of activity with the same entity/person. I Google some of the names to see what the company does and document that.

It sounds like your IAT transactions are similar to mine in that they are Paypal/app store type transactions.

Return to Top
#1989365 - 01/16/15 06:18 PM Re: Monitoring IAT's for Suspicious Activity MagicCity
ItNeverEnds CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
Looking for my sanity
Originally Posted By: MagicCity

This is what I do as well. They are typically paypal/ebay and app purchases. Usually they are small dollar amounts and it's usually the same people and countries. If the country seems odd, or there's no history of the customer doing the transaction we call. Typically I won't spend time on anything under $50.

Return to Top
#1989507 - 01/16/15 11:22 PM Re: Monitoring IAT's for Suspicious Activity DebbieB
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Count me as someone who initiates IAT through Paypal for eBay purchases.

If your customer is into crafting, or making jewelry, you can't beat the sellers from China for beads, silver wire, silver chains and other jewelry findings like clasps, etc.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z