Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Thread Options
#1988328 - 01/13/15 05:18 PM Re: Our dog - Mandalaye Skittles
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
I just took my first foster and she's 6. Such a sweet girl and plenty of energy, probably from being pent up for so many years just birthing baby puppies for an Amish mill. I'm trying really hard not to get sucked into those big eyes and become a foster failure my first time out. But it's not easy....

Return to Top
#1988335 - 01/13/15 05:27 PM Re: Our dog - Mandalaye Skittles
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Beagle - I think trying to 'hold back' doesn't work. I remember when we adopted our greyhound many years ago. My husband said he wouldn't fall in love with him - well that didn't last long.

Truff - I commend you for your fostering. I have thought about that, but know that we would be horrible foster parents and wouldn't be able to give them up.

Return to Top
#1988338 - 01/13/15 05:29 PM Re: Our dog - Mandalaye Skittles
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
If you fall in love and keep her - that isn't a failure :-)it happens more often than you know Truff!! There are so many Amish puppy farms around Wisconsin it is just sad.

Skittles - I think I have to agree that trying to hold back is impossible. That is their gift to us, teaching us love unconditionally!!

Return to Top
#1988353 - 01/13/15 05:59 PM Re: Our dog - Mandalaye Skittles
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
I adopted a 3-4 yo JRT a few years back. She eventually disappeared out of our yard never to be seen again. That will be an unanswered question that will always haunt us.

Anyway, she was an ribbon winning dog and had gone to school to be part of a Drug Task Force but flunked because of ADD (their words).

I had called my husband and told him I was going to stop and look at her on the way home. He said no. I then called to let him know I wasn't coming home alone. I could hear him rolling his eyes over the phone and cursing. This wasn't the first time I'd done this.

I pulled in the driveway and rolled down the window on her side of the vehicle and they looked in to each other's eyes and it was love at first sight. My husband fell hard.

Return to Top
#1988357 - 01/13/15 06:06 PM Re: Our dog - Mandalaye Skittles
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Actually, Cookie came from Amish in Ohio. Greater Chicago Cavalier Rescue got three girls in two days before Christmas. Cookie was originally named Noel but we changed it to Christmas Cookie because 'No Noel' doesn't work for training. laugh I really hate that apparently the laws for milling don't affect the Amish.

Funnier thing is that WI requires that you get a kennel license if you have more than 3 dogs. Cookie is our 4th, even tho she's temporary. So I'll be appearing before the town board and paying the nominal fee. Silly people don't realize that then I can by law have up to a dozen dogs!!! I could become one of those crazy old ladies walking a herd of cavaliers. laugh

Return to Top
#1988370 - 01/13/15 06:41 PM Re: Our dog - Mandalaye Skittles
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
It's also funny how some dogs steal your entire heart and some just don't.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1988375 - 01/13/15 06:53 PM Re: Our dog - Mandalaye Skittles
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
They're just like people. Some you love...some you like...and some it takes every ounce of good will in you not to choke the livin' begeezus out of 'em! laugh

Return to Top
#1988382 - 01/13/15 06:58 PM Re: Our dog - Mandalaye Skittles
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
This!

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1988419 - 01/13/15 07:55 PM Re: Our dog - Mandalaye Truffle Royale
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
Originally Posted By: Truffle Royale
They're just like people. Some you love...some you like...and some it takes every ounce of good will in you not to choke the livin' begeezus out of 'em! laugh

SO TRUE!! We went to a bunch of shelters, and although many of the dogs were clearly in need of a good home, it just didn't feel like bringing them home with us was the right thing to do. I saw our Abby in November, and just knew she was our dog.

Return to Top
#1988435 - 01/13/15 08:07 PM Re: Our dog - Mandalaye Skittles
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Thing with dogs is that, while they do have personalities, the dog they become is so very much dependent on how they were handled and trained. The vast majority of 'problem' dogs I encounter have carpy owners as their #1 problem!

Return to Top
#1988448 - 01/13/15 08:27 PM Re: Our dog - Mandalaye Truffle Royale
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: Truffle Royale
Thing with dogs is that, while they do have personalities, the dog they become is so very much dependent on how they were handled and trained. The vast majority of 'problem' dogs I encounter have carpy owners as their #1 problem!

I have said the same thing about a few employees.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1988452 - 01/13/15 08:30 PM Re: Our dog - Mandalaye Skittles
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Really, ed? Didn't you train them properly? smirk

Return to Top
#1988459 - 01/13/15 08:41 PM Re: Our dog - Mandalaye Truffle Royale
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
They were old stuck in the past and ADD laugh

CAMS

Return to Top
#1988471 - 01/13/15 08:57 PM Re: Our dog - Mandalaye Beagles22
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
Originally Posted By: Beagle Queen
So hard to lose them, like they take a piece of us when they go. I like to think they leave a part of them with us when they go too, and make us kinder and more loving.

There's a poster I've seen along these lines (I don't remember the exact words). It ends with the thought that we end up with hearts that are mostly dog.

As many as I've adopted, and fostered and adopted out, I should be all dog by now. While they've all been special and well-loved, a few have been extra special.

Return to Top
#1989944 - 01/21/15 03:14 PM Re: Our dog - Mandalaye Skittles
Melissa S Offline
Gold Star
Melissa S
Maine
For great information on the various breeds of dogs that can be impacted by the MDR1 mutation, visit Washington State University website under their veterinary program. I have a 7 year old collie that tested positive for the mutation and there are many many drugs out there that should be avoided.

On the seizures - my collie started having them at about age 5, Out of the blue and unconnected to treatment for ticks or heartworm. I received a suggestion to give him a Vitamin B complex tablet on a daily basis. (He was having maybe 6- 8 seizures per year and they had progressed to grand mal) He has been on the Vitamin B since June last year and has had no seizures since. knock on wood, cross fingers, etc. I asked my vet about it before starting and he said there is nothing proven that it helps, but it won't hurt the dog so....

Worth a try for your Basenji!

Return to Top
#1989984 - 01/21/15 04:18 PM Re: Our dog - Mandalaye Skittles
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Interesting Melissa - and thanks. Funny - but I was thinking about posting again here. We are trying something with her to help with her cognitive function called Neutricks. It's a tablet that we give once a day - although since she only has about 8 teeth she can't chew it so we're breaking it in half (it's fairly sizeable) and slipping into her food. She has slept MUCH better the last two nights and yesterday came up the back steps quickly. Before she would stand there and stare at them trying to remember how to come back up into the house. I am hopeful that this helps her. The sleeping is helping us.

Return to Top
#2006278 - 04/06/15 11:59 AM Re: Our dog - Mandalaye Skittles
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
On Friday the vet came to our house to help Mandy cross the Rainbow Bridge. She had steadily gotten worse and had another seizure early Friday morning. My husband is devastated, but knew it was time and the best thing for her. Even with the two shelties and two cats in the house it still feels oddly empty. We are trying to adjust to the new 'normal'.

RIP Mandalaye

Return to Top
#2006288 - 04/06/15 12:58 PM Re: Our dog - Mandalaye Skittles
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
I'm so sorry, Skittles. We said goodbye to our 15 year old cat, Gracie, on Friday as well. I still fight tears every time I walk past 'her' bathroom that no longer has a baby gate across the door.

Return to Top
#2006290 - 04/06/15 01:00 PM Re: Our dog - Mandalaye RR Becca
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
So sorry Skittles. It is hard to lose members of our family. frown

Return to Top
#2006304 - 04/06/15 01:42 PM Re: Our dog - Mandalaye Skittles
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
Sad news Skittles and Becca. Very sorry for both your losses. frown

Return to Top
#2006310 - 04/06/15 01:59 PM Re: Our dog - Mandalaye Skittles
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
I'm so sorry, Skittles and Becca. It is a tough thing to go through.

Return to Top
#2006313 - 04/06/15 02:19 PM Re: Our dog - Mandalaye Skittles
JWills, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
JWills, CRCM
The Mitten State
So very sorry to hear--it is always so hard. They latch onto our hearts. I myself have been there many times, and it still hurts. May your memories help ease your pain.

--Dr. Seuss

Return to Top
#2006314 - 04/06/15 02:20 PM Re: Our dog - Mandalaye Skittles
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Becca - I'm sorry for your loss also. Unfortunately my cat, Skittles, probably won't be with us much longer either. She's 18 now and has several health issues (heart murmur, kidney failure - slight, elevated liver numbers).

Thanks to everyone for their kind words. We have donated to a rescue group in Washington State called 'Old Dog Haven' in her memory.

Return to Top
#2006320 - 04/06/15 02:34 PM Re: Our dog - Mandalaye Skittles
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
((hugs)) to you both.

Return to Top
#2006332 - 04/06/15 02:43 PM Re: Our dog - Mandalaye Skittles
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
Thinking of both of you, it is never easy to say good bye to your pet.

Return to Top
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett