BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1990343 - 01/22/15 03:51 PM Checked payable to "John and Mary ATBE"
Lilly C Offline
100 Club
Lilly C
Sunny Florida
First time I run into a check payable for 2 parties, using "and" and ATBE at the end. What is the proper endorsement requirement for something like this? confused

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#1990348 - 01/22/15 04:05 PM Re: Checked payable to "John and Mary ATBE" Lilly C
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
The only thing I can find that ATBE might reasonably stand for is "All Things Being Equal." I have no idea what legal effect "ATBE" might have on John and Mary's interests in the check proceeds. This could be an example of someone trying to have a desired result but with no idea of how legally to do it.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1990447 - 01/22/15 07:35 PM Re: Checked payable to "John and Mary ATBE" Lilly C
Lilly C Offline
100 Club
Lilly C
Sunny Florida
thanks for the quick response, John.

Return to Top
#1990519 - 01/22/15 09:40 PM Re: Checked payable to "John and Mary ATBE" Lilly C
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Whoa! I just connected the left half of my brain with the right half, and the fact you're in Florida was the key. ATBE ==> As Tenants by the Entirety.

John and Mary are probably husband and wife, and they probably hold a joint account in Florida ATBE. A check was issued from that account just as the account is registered.

Get both their indorsements; you should be fine.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1990645 - 01/23/15 04:13 PM Re: Checked payable to "John and Mary ATBE" John Burnett
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
John, I'm impressed!

While I would tell the drawer (perhaps the purchaser of marital real estate?) it would be better for all concerned if you just use the word "and" between the names of the spouses, yours is the only reasonable interpretation of the acronym.

Return to Top
#1990664 - 01/23/15 04:54 PM Re: Checked payable to "John and Mary ATBE" Lilly C
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Now if I could just say that "All Things Being Equal" is the same as "As Tenants By the Entirety." But of course, that would be impossible.

That Ken was impressed has ended my Friday morning on a high note. Time to break for lunch before something spoils the moment.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett