Learn More - Click Here!

Page 6 of 25 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 24 25
Thread Options
#1921183 - 05/08/14 01:49 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
And kudos to you for recognizing your sister. Mental anything is a tuff nut to crack. Hang in there and remind your sister often how much she is appreciated. wink

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1921186 - 05/08/14 01:55 PM Re: Caring for our parents RR Joker
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: RR Joker
And kudos to you for recognizing your sister. Mental anything is a tuff nut to crack. wink

Sorry I thought you were talking about my sister eek laugh

CAMS

Return to Top
#1921194 - 05/08/14 02:10 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Awww...Ed...is she as Odd as you are? smirk

Return to Top
#1921196 - 05/08/14 02:11 PM Re: Caring for our parents RR Joker
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: RR Joker
Awww...Ed...is she as Odd as you are? smirk

worse

CAMS

Return to Top
#1921198 - 05/08/14 02:15 PM Re: Caring for our parents Security_Guy
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
More important than recognizing what your sister does is offering her respite periods where you or a hired caregiver steps in so your sister can step out for a massage, hair appt or just to wander a mall. As others can attest, Alzheimer's caregivers in particular are on 24/7.

Return to Top
#1921221 - 05/08/14 02:53 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
Security_Guy Offline
New Poster
Security_Guy
NW Ohio
We have hired a lady to come in the morning to get Mom going into the day. This lady is excellent, makes sure she has something to eat, gets her meds, and best of all combs Mom's hair. This 2 or 3 hour break in the mornings has helped my sis take a brief timeout and rejuvenate.
I can do all things through Him who gives me strength. (Phillipians 4:13)

Return to Top
#1921228 - 05/08/14 02:57 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Great for the breaks and also to have a second set of eyes to look at Mom for any changes that may need attention. Good luck to you all as you move forward through this.

Return to Top
#1921243 - 05/08/14 03:10 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
We have started looking at resdidential facilities for mom. I'm not sure that the nurse 4 days per week is going to last much longer. She has had good days and bad days, but the bad days are coming more oftgen and she is getting pretty frail. It is really har for dad to think about, but I think he knows that the day is coming when, even with help from all of us and the nurse, he will not be able to handle this.

Return to Top
#1921249 - 05/08/14 03:16 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
BBB1 - I'm so sorry. I know this has to be extremely difficult for all of you.

Return to Top
#1921271 - 05/08/14 03:33 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
80's Lady Offline
Gold Star
Did any of you see the 60 Minutes segment this past Sunday on aging? They have been following a group of folks in one of those senior living "cities" since the 1980's. Many of them are in their 90's now and it was a very interesting segment. I'm sure I was drawn into it because with my mother having Alzheimer's I am interested in any research that comes out. The segment is not just on dementia, some of the things they have figured out after studying all of the folks for all of these years are:

Cigarettes are never good. Coffee is good. Moderate alcohol is good. 45 minutes exercise per day seems to be the best, and it doesn't have to all be all at once. And probably my favorite: It's not a bad thing to carry a little extra weight going into your senior years (operative word "little"). Anyway, very interesting if you get a chance to check it out online.

Return to Top
#1921278 - 05/08/14 03:39 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
Thanks skittles. smile

I agree with the "45 min per day". One of the things that mom and her brother both have in common is life devoid of exercise. Do I think it is the only factor? Not at all, but every study that I have seen shows that exercise helps stave off and slow down the effects fo dementia.

Return to Top
#1921282 - 05/08/14 03:44 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
80's Lady Offline
Gold Star
I agree Bankbb1. The study even showed that even people who exercised 3 hours didn't show more benefits, 45 minutes seemed to be the best result. I think the fact that all these folks stayed "engaged" in a lot of different activities has helped many of them too. At least I tell myself that when I am "making" my Mom go to the daycare and she is trying to get me to let her go back to bed. Trying to keep her progression at bay as long as possible and I think interacting with others could help that.

Return to Top
#1921290 - 05/08/14 03:58 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
It definitely helps. When we had the nurse start coming in and staying with mom all day, she showed improvement. Inactivity of the brain and the body are just devastating. The more controlled interaction they can have the better. I say controlled because one on one interaction with mom seems very helpful, but putting her into a public setting with too many people and too much stimuli kind of shuts her down.

Return to Top
#1921375 - 05/08/14 05:28 PM Re: Caring for our parents 80's Lady
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Originally Posted By: 80's Lady
Did any of you see the 60 Minutes segment this past Sunday on aging? They have been following a group of folks in one of those senior living "cities" since the 1980's. Many of them are in their 90's now and it was a very interesting segment. I'm sure I was drawn into it because with my mother having Alzheimer's I am interested in any research that comes out. The segment is not just on dementia, some of the things they have figured out after studying all of the folks for all of these years are:

Cigarettes are never good. Coffee is good. Moderate alcohol is good. 45 minutes exercise per day seems to be the best, and it doesn't have to all be all at once. And probably my favorite: It's not a bad thing to carry a little extra weight going into your senior years (operative word "little"). Anyway, very interesting if you get a chance to check it out online.

Wasn't that a fantastic piece?

Return to Top
#1921391 - 05/08/14 05:39 PM Re: Caring for our parents #Just Jay
'Lil Freak! Offline
10K Club
'Lil Freak!
The psych ward
Originally Posted By: #Just Jay

That was an interesting piece. And also having slightly elevated blood pressure was a good thing rather than low blood pressure.

Return to Top
#1921393 - 05/08/14 05:41 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Was that due to a fall risk? (low BP)

Return to Top
#1921439 - 05/08/14 06:44 PM Re: Caring for our parents 'Lil Freak!
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Originally Posted By: 'Lil Freak!
Originally Posted By: #Just Jay

That was an interesting piece. And also having slightly elevated blood pressure was a good thing rather than low blood pressure.

Which makes sense. And a little 90's nookie wasn't frowned upon either.

What I found interesting is that some of the traditional signs in brain scans for Alzheimers wasn't necessarily present in those diagnosed with, and yet was present in others who presented no signs or symptoms. Makes you wonder it we are really looking at the right signs, or what other pieces are we missing from that puzzle.

Basically, work hard but smart, don't just sit, don't smoke, eat a little, move a little, drink a little, screw a little, mingle, have a good time, enjoy life, and you have a good chance at living a long fulfilling one!

Return to Top
#1921825 - 05/09/14 05:05 PM Re: Caring for our parents 80's Lady
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Quote:
Did any of you see the 60 Minutes segment this past Sunday on aging?

Okay, that's the third time I've heard someone recommend a show that was only on a few days ago. The entire episode
is here. The 90+ segment begins at about the 15 minute mark. (Place your cursor on the image to show the slide that allows you to "skip" the first segment.

Fascinating.

Return to Top
#1921914 - 05/09/14 06:35 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Thanks, Ken. Finding that was on my to-do list for this weekend. Want MOML to see it too.

Return to Top
#1921967 - 05/09/14 07:53 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
What Truffie said. Thanks

Return to Top
#1922119 - 05/12/14 03:11 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Longevity was the front page article of our Sunday paper. Reiterated a lot of the stuff that the 60 minutes segment had. There's a growing concern that the baby boomers will be around and affecting society for quite a while to come. Personally, I hope so!!! smile

Return to Top
#1922454 - 05/13/14 11:56 AM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Me too, Truff.

Return to Top
#1922566 - 05/13/14 02:15 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
We are the first generation in history to have a longer life expectation than our children. Not sure how I feel about that.

Return to Top
#1922587 - 05/13/14 02:35 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Really, BB1??? I didn't know that. Wonder why we're going to live longer than them.

Return to Top
#1922589 - 05/13/14 02:36 PM Re: Caring for our parents Truffle Royale
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: Truffle Royale
Really, BB1??? I didn't know that. Wonder why we're going to live longer than them.

When they become teenagers we wish to kill them. laugh

CAMS

Return to Top
Page 6 of 25 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 24 25

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett