Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1796409 - 03/19/13 09:14 PM Calculating a Blended APY
Sisyphus Offline
100 Club
Sisyphus
Promotional rate on a MMDA for six months will be X%, then it will go to something else based on the tiered-rate structure. What tools do you use to calculate the blended APY per Reg. DD Appendix? Does anyone have a spreadsheet?

Return to Top
Marketing
#1796417 - 03/19/13 09:29 PM Re: Calculating a Blended APY Sisyphus
CrookedVulture Offline
100 Club
Originally Posted By: Sisyphus
Promotional rate on a MMDA for six months will be X%, then it will go to something else based on the tiered-rate structure. What tools do you use to calculate the blended APY per Reg. DD Appendix? Does anyone have a spreadsheet?

The OCC has a free software download, APYWIN, that calculates APY according to Reg DD rules. I'd check that out first.

http://www.occ.gov/tools-forms/tools/consumer-protection/apywin-software.html

Return to Top
#1796490 - 03/20/13 01:22 PM Re: Calculating a Blended APY CrookedVulture
Sisyphus Offline
100 Club
Sisyphus
Thank you!

Return to Top
#1797841 - 03/23/13 06:48 PM Disclosing Blended APY CrookedVulture
Sisyphus Offline
100 Club
Sisyphus
Marketing does not want to put the blended APY in the ad more conspicuously than the premium six-month APY. Needless to say, they want the higher APY in large font and the blended APY in the disclosures at the bottom of the ad.

Taking UDAP and Reg. DD into consideration, does anyone think that is ok to do??

Return to Top
#1797843 - 03/23/13 09:36 PM Re: Disclosing Blended APY Sisyphus
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
No. The APY is the blended rate.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1797844 - 03/23/13 09:44 PM Re: Disclosing Blended APY Sisyphus
Sisyphus Offline
100 Club
Sisyphus
Don't you just love your Marketing people??

Return to Top
#1797845 - 03/23/13 09:48 PM Re: Disclosing Blended APY Sisyphus
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
I always went through this and now I go through it with clients! When you do a short term rate, the APY is the blended rate...marketing hates it.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1993280 - 02/04/15 01:45 PM Re: Disclosing Blended APY Sisyphus
M&M Offline
Platinum Poster
Midwest
We're moving to blended APY's, so I'd like to clarify.

So, can we only show one APY when we are blending and there is a promo rate and a go to rate? They want to show the promo rate and then also show "as high as X%", which is the highest blended APY they could get...

Return to Top
#1993287 - 02/04/15 02:33 PM Re: Disclosing Blended APY Sisyphus
M&M Offline
Platinum Poster
Midwest
I'd also add that our go to rate after the promo is dependent on the balance in the account. So, do we still treat this as stepped rate?

Return to Top
#1993336 - 02/04/15 04:13 PM Re: Disclosing Blended APY Sisyphus
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Quote:
So, can we only show one APY when we are blending and there is a promo rate and a go to rate? They want to show the promo rate and then also show "as high as X%", which is the highest blended APY they could get...

The APY rules require that you only show one APY. Look at Appendix A - part B (Stepped Rates): http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID....a&rgn=div9

Quote:
I'd also add that our go to rate after the promo is dependent on the balance in the account. So, do we still treat this as stepped rate?

You're describing a Tiered rate account (dependent on the balance). You'll need to give a blended rate and APY for each tier. See Part D of Appendix A.

Return to Top
#1993515 - 02/04/15 09:15 PM Re: Disclosing Blended APY Sisyphus
M&M Offline
Platinum Poster
Midwest
Thanks Dave.

So, as I'm looking at examples from other banks that our Marketing people have, how do other banks show the introductory interest rate and the go to APY? Since the promo is being stated as a rate, are they ok since they are only showing one blended APY as the "thereafter"?

Return to Top
#1993569 - 02/04/15 10:27 PM Re: Disclosing Blended APY Sisyphus
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Without looking at the other bank's ads, I don't know how to answer your question. Maybe the answer is "they do it wrong".

You have to ask "Why even show the intro rate?" It's not required. All that is required, is the APY (blended). You MAY state the rate, but it can't be more conspicuous, and it may lead to confusion.

Return to Top
#2181110 - 06/08/18 03:57 PM Re: Disclosing Blended APY David Dickinson
OnTheEdge Offline
Diamond Poster
SmallTown, USA
I've looked at the Reg and I don't see one mention of "blended" rate. What am I missing?

Return to Top
#2181131 - 06/08/18 05:34 PM Re: Disclosing Blended APY Sisyphus
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
Look at th appendix for calculating APY and you will find that the calculation requirements for into rates require that the calculation follow that same requirements as a step rate account. If I have a 6-month intro rate, I have to calculate my APY using the 6-months at the intro rate and 6 months at today’s current rate. This the APY is a blend of the two interest rates used in the calculation.

Return to Top
#2181149 - 06/08/18 06:40 PM Re: Disclosing Blended APY Sisyphus
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By OnTheEdge
I've looked at the Reg and I don't see one mention of "blended" rate. What am I missing?

You haven't found the term "blended" because it isn't in there. That term, however, is the easiest way to describe either 1) the APY from a stepped-rate account or 2) the APY from "Tiering Method B."

The stepped-rate calculation is what Brian described. Tiering Method B is found in part D to Appendix A of Regulation DD and results in a blended APY when a bank has an account with multiple tiers, but pays interest on each tier only for the portion of the balance within each tier. (Most banks use Tiering Method A where one rate is applied to the entire balance.) The result of Tiering Method B is a blended rate of all applicable tiers that could apply on the account.

From Appendix A:
"Tiering Method B. Under this method, an institution pays the stated interest rate only on that portion of the balance within the specified tier. For example, if a consumer deposits $8,000, the institution pays 5.25% on $2,500 and 5.50% on $5,500 (the difference between $8,000 and the first tier cut-off of $2,500).

The institution that computes interest in this manner must provide a range that shows the lowest and the highest annual percentage yields for each tier (other than for the first tier, which, like the tiers in Method A, has the same annual percentage yield throughout). The low figure for an annual percentage yield range is calculated based on the total amount of interest earned for a year assuming the minimum principal required to earn the interest rate for that tier. The high figure for an annual percentage yield range is based on the amount of interest the institution would pay on the highest principal that could be deposited to earn that same interest rate. If the account does not have a limit on the maximum amount that can be deposited, the institution may assume any amount."

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2188367 - 08/08/18 12:59 PM Re: Disclosing Blended APY Adam Witmer
Cbigun Offline
100 Club
The best explanation Adam. Great thread!

Return to Top
#2232621 - 03/09/20 12:13 PM Re: Disclosing Blended APY Sisyphus
compliancegeek Offline
100 Club
Midwest
Has anyone experienced an error in the OCC's APY calculator? When I try to calculate the APY for a stepped-rate product which compounds every 6 months, I get an error that says "11 Division by zero." I brought this to the OCC's attention last year, and they acknowledged the error, but the calculator has not been fixed. Does anyone have another tool I can use for stepped-rate products? Thanks!

Return to Top
#2232623 - 03/09/20 01:06 PM Re: Disclosing Blended APY Sisyphus
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Unlike APR, the APY formulas are pretty straight forward. Not sure why you could not build a fairly simple Excel spreadsheet to do it.

Return to Top
#2238593 - 06/24/20 05:46 PM Re: Disclosing Blended APY rlcarey
travelgirl1 Offline
I'm building off this older post. Bank is working to offer a 6-month CD where the rate is 1.00% for the first 90 days and the rest of the term, the rate is .55%. I have used the new APY calculator to calculate the blended APY as .78% (although I have concerns if the calculator is working. Two of us put in the exact same info and it came up with three different answers. Anyone else have issues?)

Our struggle is with calculating & disclosing the forfeiture. App support has provided us with the calculation from FiServe (although that's clear as mud). Our current CD's provide for 91 days of interest forfeiture if the CD is less than one year old. For this new product, as it's presented now, interest for the first 90 days is 1.00% so for forfeiture, it will be 90 days @ 1.00% and one day at .55%? would it be easier to calculate and disclose if the CD earned interest of 1.00% for the first 91 days (vs. 90) so it aligns with our current forfeiture rate?

Any resource I can use to help test calculations and complete the TISA?

Return to Top
#2238609 - 06/24/20 07:20 PM Re: Disclosing Blended APY Sisyphus
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
You don't provide compounding frequency in your question so I cannot try to reproduce your results. Assuming monthly compounding I came up with 0.78% APY using APYWIN.

As for assessing an early withdrawal penalty, what if I withdrawal during month 5 when my account is only earning 0.55%. Will the penalty still be calculated based on 90 days at 1.00%.

However your system is going to calculate the penalty, your disclosures should be very clear about how the penalty is calculated

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, MoneyMaker