BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 11 of 22 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 21 22
Thread Options
#1981273 - 12/05/14 04:04 PM Re: Brag On Your Kids Thread Dani York, CRCM
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
My daughter got her first deer years ago when she was 16 with her trusty 1998 Saturn coupe. We're not a hunting family, but I'm glad the rest of you are, because those critters, though beautiful, are a hazard. I'd be happy to help anyone consume any extra deer sausage.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1981277 - 12/05/14 04:17 PM Re: Brag On Your Kids Thread Dani York, CRCM
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Ours will be Jerry and Canning Meat. Good luck prying the jerky from my son laugh

Return to Top
#1981289 - 12/05/14 04:38 PM Re: Brag On Your Kids Thread Dani York, CRCM
Busy Bee, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
PacificNW
It makes me happy to hear of generations of families hunting together! smile Our state fish and game department is doing a photo contest right now and requesting photos of generations of women hunters. The winning photo will go on next year's regulations booklet that they produce.

My husband, son, brother in law, and BIL's hunting partner are planning an elk hunting trip to Colorado next year. Should be an excellent trip for them!

Return to Top
#1981294 - 12/05/14 04:47 PM Re: Brag On Your Kids Thread Dani York, CRCM
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
That's cool. The gun my son used, was used by my Grandpa, who traded it to my dad for a springfield, cause the Ithica was "too fancy" for him. Dad used it and passed it down to me, and my son is now using it.

Return to Top
#1981322 - 12/05/14 05:33 PM Re: Brag On Your Kids Thread Dani York, CRCM
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
The last deer I took myself was before the concept of social media. I had posted pictures of my son with his buck and I guess did not think about some people finding it disturbing or offensive to view pictures of the results of a successful hunt. Having grown up in an area where hunting is so much a way of life, I forgot that some do not share the same sense of tradition and pride.

My daughter was even a little upset by the fact that her brother "shot a poor deer in front of his (the deer''s) family". I tried to explain to her that deer don't live forever and that there are no nursing homes in the woods. When deer reach a certain age, they will eventually suffer a long and painful death from starvation in the wild. I also tried to explain that without population management through hunting there would be many more car accidents and much more crop damage to local farmers. This deer provided over 80 pounds of meat for us (excluding my daughter of course) to enjoy throughout the year.

You can never really change a persons perception of hunting, but at least maybe you can come to a mutual respect and understanding.

My son used a single shot CVA youth rifle in .243 caliber with a 3x9 Thompson Center Scope. It is a nice little gun I picked up this summer that I will probably end up using once he graduates to something a little bigger. It's nice and compact, light weight and incredibly accurate.

Return to Top
#1981329 - 12/05/14 05:42 PM Re: Brag On Your Kids Thread Dani York, CRCM
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
from NPR

When a leafy plant is under attack, it doesn't sit quietly. Back in 1983, two scientists, Jack Schultz and Ian Baldwin, reported that young maple saplings getting bitten by insects release a spurt of chemicals that float through the air. You and I wouldn't notice, but these chemicals carry a slight odor that neighboring plants can detect. It's a little like a silent scream.

If a simple bug can get a plant to scream can you imagine what a deer chopping on several leaves will do to a poor defenseless plan.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2014/04/29/307981803/plants-talk-plants-listen-here-s-how

CAMS

Return to Top
#1981337 - 12/05/14 06:13 PM Re: Brag On Your Kids Thread thomasj
Busy Bee, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
PacificNW
Originally Posted By: thomasj
The last deer I took myself was before the concept of social media. I had posted pictures of my son with his buck and I guess did not think about some people finding it disturbing or offensive to view pictures of the results of a successful hunt. Having grown up in an area where hunting is so much a way of life, I forgot that some do not share the same sense of tradition and pride.

My daughter was even a little upset by the fact that her brother "shot a poor deer in front of his (the deer''s) family". I tried to explain to her that deer don't live forever and that there are no nursing homes in the woods. When deer reach a certain age, they will eventually suffer a long and painful death from starvation in the wild. I also tried to explain that without population management through hunting there would be many more car accidents and much more crop damage to local farmers. This deer provided over 80 pounds of meat for us (excluding my daughter of course) to enjoy throughout the year.

You can never really change a persons perception of hunting, but at least maybe you can come to a mutual respect and understanding.

My son used a single shot CVA youth rifle in .243 caliber with a 3x9 Thompson Center Scope. It is a nice little gun I picked up this summer that I will probably end up using once he graduates to something a little bigger. It's nice and compact, light weight and incredibly accurate.

I could not agree with you more! We believe that hunting is necessary for conservation of the environment. For my family, we do not "trophy hunt". We hunt strictly for the meat it can provide our family. Fortunately, my son did not face any backlash for posting pictures on social media of his successful hunt, but I know several of his buddies did.

Modern rifle season is closed in our area but there are some areas that are still open for late archery. We live up one of the canyons surrounding our town and we frequently see deer near our home. When my son came home from work around 9:30 last night, he said there was a massive 6-point buck and a 5-point buck in our driveway. Those 5 and 6 points were on one side, so it was 12 and 10 total. I'm guessing the trucks we've seen parked along the canyon road for the last few days are out looking for these guys!

Return to Top
#1981941 - 12/09/14 08:00 PM Re: Brag On Your Kids Thread Dani York, CRCM
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
The boy has had a great week!

Monday = get's his first deer.

Tuesday = Get's significant playing time on V- Basketball - team wins

Wednesday = Get's report card, all A's but one B+

Friday = Got first start on V- Basketball = Games Leading Scorer, beat school rival for first time in 5 years.

Saturday = get to eat 5 Guys burgers. What a week!

Return to Top
#1983683 - 12/17/14 04:17 PM Re: Brag On Your Kids Thread Dani York, CRCM
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
The daughter got her first semester of college grades. She got a 4.0! She didn't even do that in High School. Very proud of her, she wanted to quit halfway through the semester cause it was "Too hard" and "She wasn't smart", we helped her develop better study habits, and now look what she can do! So Proud!

Return to Top
#1983691 - 12/17/14 04:22 PM Re: Brag On Your Kids Thread Dani York, CRCM
Purple Pride Offline
Purple Pride
Where I am supposed to be
That is awesome DD!

Return to Top
#1983694 - 12/17/14 04:26 PM Re: Brag On Your Kids Thread Dani York, CRCM
Quadspapa Offline
Power Poster
Quadspapa
Quadrupletville, Texas
Congrats DD, you are on a roll!

Return to Top
#1983740 - 12/17/14 05:08 PM Re: Brag On Your Kids Thread Dani York, CRCM
Busy Bee, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
PacificNW
That's fantastic! Good for her!

Return to Top
#1994118 - 02/06/15 03:55 PM Re: Brag On Your Kids Thread Dani York, CRCM
DoS Offline
Gold Star
DoS
one state over
I just found out that both my kids got student of the month in their respective grads this month ... that's pretty cool. My wife is obviously doing something right!

"Strip the Flesh, Salt the Wound" - Krieg

Return to Top
#1994162 - 02/06/15 04:59 PM Re: Brag On Your Kids Thread Dani York, CRCM
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Cool

Return to Top
#1994859 - 02/10/15 04:18 PM Re: Brag On Your Kids Thread Dani York, CRCM
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
Yesterday a friend of mine texted me to tell me what a kind, caring child I have raised. My friend was substitute teaching for another grade and my 8 year old son walked over to say hello and visit with her. Raising boys is hard. Raising polite boys who act like real human beings is extra hard. Proud that some of my words are sinking in.

Return to Top
#1994865 - 02/10/15 04:27 PM Re: Brag On Your Kids Thread Dani York, CRCM
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
I love that CompliantOkie! That is really something to be proud of.

Here is my first entry to this thread:
In honor of her 10th transplant anniversary my daughter requested toys for the children at Lurie Children’s Memorial Hospital (her transplant hospital) and also for the children at the Ronald McDonald house (her home away from home).

The kids at her school rose to the challenge. They collected over 280 toys! And we delivered them to the hospital and Ronald McDonald house last week.

Her school really encouraged this project. She went from class to class educating the students on immunesuppression, organ donation, and the liver. And each morning she was allowed and encouraged to do the announcements with an "ad" for the drive. The self confidence she has after the whole experience is amazing. Just amazing.

The school board has invited her to come to their next meeting to honor her.

Return to Top
#1994869 - 02/10/15 04:31 PM Re: Brag On Your Kids Thread Dani York, CRCM
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
CompliantOkie and QCL - you both have great stories to tell us - and amazing kids!!!!

Return to Top
#1994967 - 02/10/15 07:26 PM Re: Brag On Your Kids Thread Dani York, CRCM
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
QCL-- So awesome that your daughter already feels the need to give back and lift up those that are struggling!!

Some days being a mom is really hard but when the kiddo does something good, it's so worth it! You are raising a great one!!

Return to Top
#1994974 - 02/10/15 07:34 PM Re: Brag On Your Kids Thread Dani York, CRCM
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Those stories make me smile. Congrats and thanks.

Return to Top
#1994989 - 02/10/15 07:52 PM Re: Brag On Your Kids Thread Dani York, CRCM
JWills, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
JWills, CRCM
The Mitten State
Those are awesome stories! Makes me think there is hope for the future! Congrats.

--Dr. Seuss

Return to Top
#1995067 - 02/10/15 09:30 PM Re: Brag On Your Kids Thread Dani York, CRCM
basilring Offline
Gold Star
Spartan Country!
My son just received an award letter for a 4-year full ride academic scholarship to college... SO proud of him!!

Return to Top
#1995070 - 02/10/15 09:37 PM Re: Brag On Your Kids Thread Dani York, CRCM
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
OMGoodness. That's a reason to celebrate!!!!!!! Wow!! Congrats!

Return to Top
#1995077 - 02/10/15 09:43 PM Re: Brag On Your Kids Thread Dani York, CRCM
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
basil - that's fantastic. Hopefully he'll decide to go there.

Return to Top
#1995112 - 02/10/15 10:44 PM Re: Brag On Your Kids Thread basilring
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Originally Posted By: basilring
My son just received an award letter for a 4-year full ride academic scholarship to college... SO proud of him!!

Woot! Congrats. That is something for all to be proud of.

Return to Top
#1995113 - 02/10/15 10:48 PM Re: Brag On Your Kids Thread Dani York, CRCM
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
My daughter just gave my wife and I our first grandchild. A boy! Granddaddy's new wingman.

Return to Top
Page 11 of 22 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 21 22