Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#1994728 - 02/09/15 11:03 PM Staffing Models
Sgriff Offline
New Poster
Sgriff
Does anyone have any recommendations for programs to use to calculate employee staffing?

We currently use staffing models for our tellers and bankers designed by Sheshunoff, however this was given to us about 7 years ago and we are wondering if our model is outdated.

Are there any recommendations for other programs or models being used?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#1994755 - 02/10/15 01:27 PM Re: Staffing Models Sgriff
osucpa Offline
Diamond Poster
My guess is it would be all over the board. For a branch you have to take into account business hours, commercial or retail activity, services offered.

Return to Top
#1994767 - 02/10/15 01:50 PM Re: Staffing Models Sgriff
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
years ago we had an independent company (I can not remember the name) that drew up a staffing model which gave the minimum number of tellers required at each hour of the day. Management agreed that the number of tellers was correct bud did not see a need to schedule for absent tellers, vacations, training...

It was also noted that additional tellers were needed at the final hour of each day but the decision was why pay a part time teller 4 hours when only 1 hour was needed.

After the numerous customer complaints a rational number (judgmental) of tellers were put in place.
Last edited by edAudit; 02/10/15 01:50 PM.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1994775 - 02/10/15 02:09 PM Re: Staffing Models Sgriff
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
staffing models are really only valid if management will follow through on them...which means they need to be willing to make additions and cuts...rarely have I seen willingness to add staff

Return to Top
#1994795 - 02/10/15 02:44 PM Re: Staffing Models Sgriff
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
The use of Queueing Theory is a common practice to at least get an idea of appropriate staffing needs. A teller line, no matter what arguments others try to throw out there, really isn't much different that figuring out how to staff the counter at a McDonalds.

Return to Top
#1994818 - 02/10/15 03:17 PM Re: Staffing Models Sgriff
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
A consulting firm [Booz Allen] was engaged by our S&L management (many years ago). There were a lot of long time employees let go, because management bought into the recommendations 100% without thinking too much on it [increase profitability to put the bank up for sale].

The Chairman walked into one of the branches a few weeks later and saw a line in his branch for the first time. Management offered to take him immediately, but he waited and while in line chatted with the customers. They realized there was deposit run-off because the bank lost the family atmosphere that had prevailed. Things reverted.......

Return to Top
#1994887 - 02/10/15 05:08 PM Re: Staffing Models Sgriff
fmissle Offline
Diamond Poster
Pac NW
I've used this product before and thought it was decent.
http://www.crnrstone.com/publications/cornerstone-report-for-banks.php

Return to Top
#1995078 - 02/10/15 09:43 PM Re: Staffing Models Sgriff
Sgriff Offline
New Poster
Sgriff
I understand the components that must be taken into consideration to calculate a staffing model for branch staff.

We have a current model we use, which we plug in data and get a number back for the recommended number of staff based on that branches transactions/production etc..

My question is if there are any other models or recommendations being used now?

For example, our current CSR model allows 20 transactions per teller, per hour. We plug in the branches data for the month, and get the recommended number of tellers for that branch location. However, since this was calculated over 7 years ago, we are now wondering if we should re think our allotment of 20 transations per teller.
Last edited by Sgriff; 02/10/15 09:44 PM.
Return to Top
#1995104 - 02/10/15 10:25 PM Re: Staffing Models Sgriff
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Garbage in = garbage out.

I actually had a title at one point of time as "Staffing Analysis Officer" for the holding company. If I was planning on making recommendations at that time based on 7 year old data, I think my career would have been rather short.

For example, seven years before I started in that position we were still manually posting transaction in passbooks at the teller line.........

Times change and you need to revisit your input.

Return to Top
#1995172 - 02/11/15 01:48 PM Re: Staffing Models Sgriff
HDavidson Offline
where the green grass shows
You need to also consider the transactions being processed. They are NOT all created equal. If you have a cash intensive business that requires counting thousands of dollars in ones and coin, that will be 1 transaction, requiring a significant amount of time by possibly more than one teller.

Return to Top
#1995276 - 02/11/15 04:03 PM Re: Staffing Models Sgriff
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Big banks are moving to skeleton crews. Many are eliminating positions such as assistant branch manager and head teller. Some will allow a branch to operate with only 3 people, with one person having to cover the lobby and the drive-through.

Return to Top
#1995358 - 02/11/15 06:32 PM Re: Staffing Models Sgriff
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
But are they also having cash intensive businesses processed outside of the branch, through a centralized vault service such as an armored car company or a service they themselves provide to themselves and other banks?

That makes a big difference in branch work.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top