Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1995151 - 02/11/15 01:08 PM Fitness Tracking Help
TINKerBell Offline
Power Poster
TINKerBell
Tiger's Den!
I am at that point in my exercise regimen (those of you who are FB friends and are indundated with my gym check ins know my commitment) where I want to invest in a fitness tracker like Fitbit or something along the same line. My boss has the UP and loves it, but it has broken several times. Which device would be the best investment?

Return to Top
#1995155 - 02/11/15 01:23 PM Re: Fitness Tracking Help TINKerBell
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
pen and paper

CAMS

Return to Top
#1995171 - 02/11/15 01:42 PM Re: Fitness Tracking Help TINKerBell
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
I like the fit bit. And their customer service is pretty great too. After 6 months, my fitbit flex stopped taking a charge and they replaced it. I've had a fitbit product for a couple of years now and am happy with them.

Return to Top
#1995195 - 02/11/15 02:22 PM Re: Fitness Tracking Help TINKerBell
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
My wife got me a Fitbit Charge for Christmas. I hadn't even thought of getting one, but I like it. It helps me to keep focused on movement throughout the day, not just at exercise time. It's a little reward to feel the Fitbit vibrate when you hit 10,000 steps, or whatever goal you've set.

I've started using the Fitbit software on my phone to track runs using the phone's GPS, and deleted the other running apps I had.

I also like the silent alarm clock that wakes me by vibration. It's good for not waking a sleeping spouse.

I've seen gripes that the step count isn't 100% accurate, but who cares? It close enough to be fun. I know then when we were in a bus with bad shocks going down a brick street in Mexico, the Fitbit thought we were walking.

Return to Top
#1995208 - 02/11/15 02:42 PM Re: Fitness Tracking Help TINKerBell
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
I think the best fitness tracker is your clothes and a scale...if the clothes are getting looser and the numbers on the scale going down, you're doing well.

Return to Top
#1995236 - 02/11/15 03:26 PM Re: Fitness Tracking Help TINKerBell
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
I've never had any interest in tracking beyond my Runkeeper stuff, but I've heard lots of positive feedback on both Fitbits and the Jawbone ones that sound very similar.

Return to Top
#1995240 - 02/11/15 03:30 PM Re: Fitness Tracking Help TINKerBell
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I started wearing my husband's Garmin (Vivofit - I think) a few weeks ago just to keep up with my steps. It is helpful to keep me motivated to walk more - whether it's going the long way downstairs to refill my water bottle - or walking around the house during commercials. There is software you can upload to your phone; however I only wanted it to count steps. Yes - it does count things it shouldn't (like when I'm changing clothes), but on the flip side if I'm carrying something in that hand when walking and my arm doesn't swing it doesn't count those steps either.

Return to Top
#1995253 - 02/11/15 03:42 PM Re: Fitness Tracking Help Skittles
VWgirl21 Offline
100 Club
The Bluegrass
Originally Posted By: Skittles
Yes - it does count things it shouldn't (like when I'm changing clothes), but on the flip side if I'm carrying something in that hand when walking and my arm doesn't swing it doesn't count those steps either.

You are still moving when you change your clothes so those steps/movement should count!

I just have the fitbit zip. It works pretty well for just tracking steps. I have found that it needs to be clipped on my pants or sports bra for the best results. It only gets half my steps when I put it in my pocket.

Return to Top
#1995256 - 02/11/15 03:48 PM Re: Fitness Tracking Help TINKerBell
ahkcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
This is great info! We are starting a new wellness program and the bank will reimburse up to $30 for fitness equipment to help offset costs.

VW--does the zip use battery? I was looking into the zip but read that the battery only lasts 4-6 months.
Last edited by ahkcompliance; 02/11/15 03:55 PM.
Return to Top
#1995272 - 02/11/15 04:00 PM Re: Fitness Tracking Help TINKerBell
#12 Offline
Diamond Poster
Try www.pivotalliving.com

It's a startup company. The band and app cost $12 per year. So, if you're not sure you'll like it, you'll only be out $12. They will also send you a new band every year.

I got myself one for Christmas, it's fairly accurate on steps I think. It also has a sleep tracker, the silent wake up alarm, and the activity reminder. On the app, you can track your hydration and weight. I like it. I have found that if I use the elliptical instead of running, it doesn't quite track the right number of steps.

It has a rechargeable battery, the charge lasts a little longer than a week.

Return to Top
#1995275 - 02/11/15 04:04 PM Re: Fitness Tracking Help TINKerBell
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
My daughter has had the clip-on fitbit for a year, and likes it. She didn't like the idea of a wrist band.

I have found that if I run on hills, the fitbit gives me credit for going up a flight of stairs.

Return to Top
#1995277 - 02/11/15 04:05 PM Re: Fitness Tracking Help ahkcompliance
VWgirl21 Offline
100 Club
The Bluegrass
Originally Posted By: ahkcompliance
VW--does the zip use battery? I was looking into the zip but read that the battery only lasts 4-6 months.

I uses a little button battery that is pretty easy to replace. I have had mine for a couple years and have replaced the battery 3 times I think.

Return to Top
#1995308 - 02/11/15 05:16 PM Re: Fitness Tracking Help MyBrainHurts
ahkcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Originally Posted By: MyBrainHurts
My daughter has had the clip-on fitbit for a year, and likes it. She didn't like the idea of a wrist band.

I have found that if I run on hills, the fitbit gives me credit for going up a flight of stairs.

I want a device that knows if I am walking or running or doing some sort of other exercise. I don't know enough about the different devices to know which is the best one for me.

Return to Top
#1995352 - 02/11/15 06:27 PM Re: Fitness Tracking Help TINKerBell
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
Originally Posted By: TINKerBell
I am at that point in my exercise regimen (those of you who are FB friends and are indundated with my gym check ins know my commitment) where I want to invest in a fitness tracker like Fitbit or something along the same line. My boss has the UP and loves it, but it has broken several times. Which device would be the best investment?

What do you want to track, Tink?

Return to Top
#1995466 - 02/11/15 09:51 PM Re: Fitness Tracking Help TINKerBell
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
Erin asks a good question...it depends on what you want to track.

My Fitbit doesn't show many steps or activity when I'm at the trainer lifting. It does ok on runs, but I use my Garmin there for pace/mileage. I've used the Garmin on runs and bike rides for over 5 years. I've quit wearing the fitbit regularly after just a few months. (someone needs to challenge me again)

Return to Top
#1995500 - 02/11/15 11:02 PM Re: Fitness Tracking Help TINKerBell
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
Yes, the Fitbit doesn't give you any credit for weights, etc. It doesn't know you're doing anything. I wonder if the Fitbit Charge HR does more, as it monitors heartbeat.

Return to Top
#1995519 - 02/12/15 01:12 PM Re: Fitness Tracking Help MyBrainHurts
TINKerBell Offline
Power Poster
TINKerBell
Tiger's Den!
I would like to track my steps for one. I spend time on the treadmill every day and walk at work. I also want to keep track of my heartrate and sleep patterns.

Return to Top
#1995522 - 02/12/15 01:20 PM Re: Fitness Tracking Help TINKerBell
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here

CAMS

Return to Top
#1995537 - 02/12/15 02:14 PM Re: Fitness Tracking Help TINKerBell
#12 Offline
Diamond Poster
Originally Posted By: TINKerBell
I would like to track my steps for one. I spend time on the treadmill every day and walk at work. I also want to keep track of my heartrate and sleep patterns.

The pivotal living health tracker will not track heartrate, but will do steps and sleep patterns.

Return to Top
#1995550 - 02/12/15 02:42 PM Re: Fitness Tracking Help TINKerBell
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
read an article this morning that said get rid of the trackers and let the amount of sweat and your heart tell you how you are doing...

Return to Top
#1995585 - 02/12/15 03:53 PM Re: Fitness Tracking Help RR Jen
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Originally Posted By: RR Jen
Erin asks a good question...it depends on what you want to track.

My Fitbit doesn't show many steps or activity when I'm at the trainer lifting. It does ok on runs, but I use my Garmin there for pace/mileage. I've used the Garmin on runs and bike rides for over 5 years. I've quit wearing the fitbit regularly after just a few months. (someone needs to challenge me again)

Done.

Return to Top
#1995629 - 02/12/15 04:56 PM Re: Fitness Tracking Help RR Jen
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: RR Jen
(someone needs to challenge me again)

rumor has it you are challenged enough as it is... shocked

Return to Top
#1995653 - 02/12/15 06:05 PM Re: Fitness Tracking Help HappyGilmore
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
read an article this morning that said get rid of the trackers and let the amount of sweat and your heart tell you how you are doing...

This!

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1995664 - 02/12/15 06:15 PM Re: Fitness Tracking Help TINKerBell
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
I can see how wearing this on your wrist would be good excercise but the carpal tunnel could be a issue

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/346906/1993-geo-tracker/

CAMS

Return to Top
#1995682 - 02/12/15 06:40 PM Re: Fitness Tracking Help TINKerBell
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
HG...my trainer has proved that sweating your arse off is not necessary for a good workout. Some of the sessions we do don't seem too hard at the time, but I feel them the next day!

And to the most recent one....
mad

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett