BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1996820 - 02/19/15 02:41 PM SNL 40
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas
A couple days late, but did anyone watch? i thought it was pretty good. The Californians thing went on too long, but supposedly that's a very specific target audience and just kills on the west coast.

I really liked Celebrity Jeopardy, Bill Murray's Jaws, The running Jon Lovitz is dead joke, Stever Martin being Steve Martin, and Wayne's World. And just seeing the whole history of the show.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1996827 - 02/19/15 02:55 PM Re: SNL 40 Stupendous Man
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
I couldn't record because I had other things recording at the time. I really wanted to watch it. Probably available online somewhere. I liked Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake's opening.

I always thought the Californians skits were too long. Did Steffan make an appearance? He's my favorite character!

Return to Top
#1996829 - 02/19/15 02:57 PM Re: SNL 40 Stupendous Man
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
I did see it, I thought the older clips were better than the newer clips, but I also think much of that is because of the PC world of broadcasting today versus late 70s and early 80s...I have not watched SNL since Eddie Murphy was a regular...

it was entertaining, but I also thought some of the musical choices we, well, just odd. and I don't get the Sia thing at all...

Return to Top
#1996831 - 02/19/15 03:00 PM Re: SNL 40 Stupendous Man
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
A couple days late, but did anyone watch? 23.1 million viewers did.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/16/snl-40-ratings_n_6692882.html

CAMS

Return to Top
#1996832 - 02/19/15 02:59 PM Re: SNL 40 Stupendous Man
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas
I think it's on Hulu, and yes, Stefan was there.

Return to Top
#1996835 - 02/19/15 03:02 PM Re: SNL 40 Stupendous Man
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
I watched, really liked a lot of it but especially the opening. I was hoping to see the Church Lady.

Return to Top
#1996836 - 02/19/15 03:06 PM Re: SNL 40 Stupendous Man
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas
Norm MacDonald did a bunch of tweets last night about his experience at the anniversary and on when he was on the show (and some hilarious, obscene, cartoon duck discussion just before it). Some pretty cool stuff about writing Celebrity Jeopardy and how he tried to get Eddie Murphy to do the Cosby impression.

Rolling stone did a list ranking every cast member ever and put Norm MacDonald really low and said he wasn't funny. Now there are tons of comedians on twitter making fun of the author of the list for being a moron.

Last edited by Stupendous Man; 02/19/15 03:08 PM.
Return to Top
#1996844 - 02/19/15 03:24 PM Re: SNL 40 Stupendous Man
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
I'll Hulu this weekend.

Return to Top
#1996845 - 02/19/15 03:25 PM Re: SNL 40 Stupendous Man
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
I have never found "The Californians" funny, and so that was a big waste of airtime for me. I just don't get it. On the other hand, I love the Bass-o-matic, which my wife finds disgusting.

Return to Top
#1996847 - 02/19/15 03:26 PM Re: SNL 40 Stupendous Man
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
I used to really enjoy SNL. Back when Farley, Spade, Sandler, Farrel, Hartman, Sweeny, Meyers, Carvey and the gang were on there. It was an all star cast. There have been so many greats during this era and the generation before that it is impossible to name.

Anyone can debate who was better, but for me this was the pinnacle. The show hung on for a long time really centered around Farrel who stayed on because he came at the end of this group. Had Farrel not been on SNL it would have died long ago. While Farrel was there they added tons of cast members who were just not funny. Not only that, but they continued to get more and more political. Attempting to sway the conciseness of their viewership.

This is just my opinion, but since 2005 the cast has been bad and the show has been bad. Its ratings hit an all time low an episode in 2014 which had been a bad decade ratings wise for SNL.

Return to Top
#1996851 - 02/19/15 03:37 PM Re: SNL 40 Stupendous Man
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Originally Posted By: Stupendous Man
Norm MacDonald did a bunch of tweets last night about his experience at the anniversary and on when he was on the show (and some hilarious, obscene, cartoon duck discussion just before it). Some pretty cool stuff about writing Celebrity Jeopardy and how he tried to get Eddie Murphy to do the Cosby impression.

Rolling stone did a list ranking every cast member ever and put Norm MacDonald really low and said he wasn't funny. Now there are tons of comedians on twitter making fun of the author of the list for being a moron.

Nerve also did a ranking of the cast members and I think whoever did it, either has never watched SNL or is a young 20 something who never saw the other actors in their context.

They had Farley at 22. Sorry Farley should be #1. Even other cast members could never stop themselves from laughing during Farley's skits.

Here are some they rated too high:
7 - Amy Pohler. Get real. She should not even be in the top 50.
10 - Tina Fey. The next funny thing she does will be her first. Probably does not belong in the top 100.
12- Tim Meadows. He was ok. Better than Fey. But too high.
19 - Kristin Wiig. Deserves to be on the list, but more likely in the 40s. Better than both Fey and Pohler.
20 - Hader. Probably should be left off of the list.
28 - Dratch. I am starting to think the author is unfamiliar with the concept of funny.
34 - Maya Rudolph. Although no less funny than Fey, she should not be in the top 50.

Rated too low.
36 - Spade. Yes David Spade was rated below all I listed.
41 - Randy Quade. Top 15 Material.
65 Chris Elliot. Probably one of the most under rated guys ever on SNL.
66 - Dennis Miller. He made the Weekend Update what it is.
73 - Julia Sweeny. STOP. 63 spots behind Fey. She is better than Fey by far.
81 - Garrafolo. Not great but better than 81.
92 Victoria Jackson. Still better than Fey and Pohler.
8 - Mike Meyers. Probably the second best SNL all time.

Finally, Steve Martin did not even make the list. I am convinced whoever wrote this has never watched SNL before 2006.

Return to Top
#1996852 - 02/19/15 03:41 PM Re: SNL 40 MyBrainHurts
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
Originally Posted By: MyBrainHurts
I have never found "The Californians" funny, and so that was a big waste of airtime for me. I just don't get it. On the other hand, I love the Bass-o-matic, which my wife finds disgusting.

I *loved* Bass-o-matic!! I also loved the Lake Erie bottled water and Quarry Cereal. laugh

Return to Top
#1996853 - 02/19/15 03:46 PM Re: SNL 40 Stupendous Man
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
Quote:

That has more to do with her political views. Also why she was fired.

Return to Top
#1996855 - 02/19/15 03:51 PM Re: SNL 40 Sound Tactic
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas
Originally Posted By: Sound Tactic

Finally, Steve Martin did not even make the list. I am convinced whoever wrote this has never watched SNL before 2006.

Steve Martin was never in the cast. Just a frequenc host.

I disagree with pretty much all your other points, but hey, comedy is subjective.

Return to Top
#1996858 - 02/19/15 03:58 PM Re: SNL 40 Stupendous Man
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma

I disagree with pretty much all your other points, but hey, comedy is subjective.

Ditto. I could not stand Farley. Watching him is painful.
Fey, Poehler and Wiig are by far the 3 funniest women to ever grace the SNL stage.

Return to Top
#1996862 - 02/19/15 04:00 PM Re: SNL 40 CompliantOkie
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas
Originally Posted By: CompliantOkie

Bwahaha! That's actually one thing I agreed with him on. I wouldn't put him #1, maybe not even top ten (mostly because there's SO MANY hilarious people from the show), but Chippendales and Matt Foley are two of my favorites.

Return to Top
#1996865 - 02/19/15 04:02 PM Re: SNL 40 CompliantOkie
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic

Fey, Poehler and Wiig are by far the 3 funniest women to ever grace the SNL stage.

I liked Julia Sweeny, and Sheri Oteri. Those would be my top 2. Poehler is not terrible but not top 30 material. Fey is just bad.

You are the first person I have ever met that could not stand watching Farley. Not even the cast members could prevent themselves from laughing at his skits. Even if they were in the skits.

Return to Top
#1996869 - 02/19/15 04:05 PM Re: SNL 40 Stupendous Man
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic

Bwahaha! That's actually one thing I agreed with him on. I wouldn't put him #1, maybe not even top ten (mostly because there's SO MANY hilarious people from the show), but Chippendales and Matt Foley are two of my favorites.

Don't forget GAP girls. How much you bench? Remember that time? Japanese game show, and the Chicago Super fans. Yes, he was one of the guys dressed in the Bulls gear.

Return to Top
#1996871 - 02/19/15 04:13 PM Re: SNL 40 Sound Tactic
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Nerve also did a ranking of the cast members and I think whoever did it, either has never watched SNL or is a young 20 something who never saw the other actors in their context.

They had Farley at 22. Sorry Farley should be #1. Even other cast members could never stop themselves from laughing during Farley's skits.

Here are some they rated too high:
7 - Amy Pohler. Get real. She should not even be in the top 50.
10 - Tina Fey. The next funny thing she does will be her first. Probably does not belong in the top 100.
12- Tim Meadows. He was ok. Better than Fey. But too high.
19 - Kristin Wiig. Deserves to be on the list, but more likely in the 40s. Better than both Fey and Pohler.
28 - Dratch. I am starting to think the author is unfamiliar with the concept of funny.
34 - Maya Rudolph. Although no less funny than Fey, she should not be in the top 50.

Rated too low.
36 - Spade. Yes David Spade was rated below all I listed.
66 - Dennis Miller. He made the Weekend Update what it is.
73 - Julia Sweeny. STOP. 63 spots behind Fey. She is better than Fey by far.
8 - Mike Meyers. Probably the second best SNL all time.

We must have the same sense of humor because I agree with most of your comments completely.

Is it a generational thing?

Return to Top
#1996872 - 02/19/15 04:15 PM Re: SNL 40 CompliantOkie
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here

Fey, Poehler and WiigGilda Ratner Jane Curtain and Lorraine Neuman are by far the 3 funniest women to ever grace the SNL stage.

At least when they were on the show.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1996874 - 02/19/15 04:16 PM Re: SNL 40 Stupendous Man
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
73 - Julia Sweeny

How is that possible?

CAMS

Return to Top
#1996875 - 02/19/15 04:17 PM Re: SNL 40 Stupendous Man
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
Yeah I know I'm in the Farley minority. I'm fine with that. His movies with Spade were awful too. I like Spade otherwise. I also like Sandler and Farrell. Just something about Farley didn't click with me. I will admit the Chippendales skit with Patrick Swayze was funny.

Return to Top
#1996915 - 02/19/15 05:23 PM Re: SNL 40 Sound Tactic
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas

OK, while allowing for comedy to be subjective, I'll make the case for Hader as an all-time great: Great at impressions, Stefan, the bitter old reporter, the puppet therapy guy, Vincent Price holiday shows, and for 8 years he was the Aykroyd/Hartman style --super versatile "glue" guy who could do any impression or be a fast talking scheister or play the staight man gameshow host/dad/doctor characters.

Just curious about your love for these three (although i guess garafolo is muted). They were all only on for one season that are really only remembered as being low points for the show that got almost everyone fired after the season and almost got the whole show cancelled. No real lasting characters or sketches (unless i'm forgetting).

And for Fey--well it obviously wouldn't be the show for you, but anyone else who questions her comedy chops i'd recommend 30 Rock or Mean Girls. She's not the greatest performer but she's one [censored] of a writer.

Return to Top
#1996920 - 02/19/15 05:36 PM Re: SNL 40 Stupendous Man
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
i don't even know who Hader is...

Norm MacDonald? I always thought he was trying for a Stephen Wright monotone delivery and failed...nothing funny about him...they should fire Lorne Michaels for even casting him. I don't normally agree with anything from the rolling stone, but I will agree with them on this point

Return to Top
#1996929 - 02/19/15 05:40 PM Re: SNL 40 Stupendous Man
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas
Happy looking down on something popular?

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSShocking

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2