Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1998311 - 02/26/15 02:09 PM Victim or Suspect?
New Manager Offline
100 Club
Just want a second opinion. Someone received a fraudulent wire from her “fiancé,” whom she has never met and who is deployed overseas (yes, I know, total scam). Wire went back to the original bank once the fraud was discovered. During interviews with the customer she let on that there were wires at other banks and she figured out it was a scam, but went along with it anyway. We have the security incident report stating that she divulged this information during the interview. She may have been the victim in the beginning, but in the end she went along with it. My feeling is that she is the suspect. If she’s the victim and we have an unknown suspect, it doesn’t meet the reporting threshold. Am I right?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1998313 - 02/26/15 02:16 PM Re: Victim or Suspect? New Manager
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I think the admission that she knew it was a scam and that she continued to participate makes her an accessory and therefore a suspect.

Return to Top
#1998318 - 02/26/15 02:29 PM Re: Victim or Suspect? New Manager
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Aside from the elements of greed and ego inflation at having duped yet another gullible American, we don't know what the crooks are doing with their booty. There's always the possibility that some of it ends up financing terrorism. If the "mark" knew it was a scam and admitted it, I'd count her as a subject of your SAR.
Last edited by John Burnett; 02/26/15 02:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1998327 - 02/26/15 02:49 PM Re: Victim or Suspect? New Manager
New Manager Offline
100 Club
Thanks, that was my gut feeling, but wanted other opinions.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z