Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#1998309 - 02/26/15 01:50 PM Southerners Check In Please
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I'm looking at pictures of the storm that hit Georgia, Alabama, etc. Is everyone OK? We had a nasty storm last week (and still have the snow); however we're more prepared in Kentucky.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1998310 - 02/26/15 02:05 PM Re: Southerners Check In Please Skittles
Hobbes Offline
100 Club
Hobbes
On a sled
Nothing but rain in Columbia, SC. But our branches in Northwest SC and Northern GA are closed until noon. My son in Cartersville GA sent some nice pictures of the snowman he built.

Return to Top
#1998315 - 02/26/15 02:24 PM Re: Southerners Check In Please Skittles
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
::waves hand::

A little soggy..well aLOT soggy...but otherwise okay! smile

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1998321 - 02/26/15 02:37 PM Re: Southerners Check In Please Skittles
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas
Hey, i got a question for any of you guys further north who deal with the cold more often---how effective are snow chains or cables or what have you on ice? or is there a more effective product (short of different tires) that really helps with sliding.

i was thinking of getting some. it's only a day or two here each year that it's a problem (And it's normally ice, not snow) but those days are so bad, that if i can find something to make it manageable, i'd splurge and pay for it. Especially if it would last the rest of my life (or at least the rest of my cars life).

Return to Top
#1998322 - 02/26/15 02:44 PM Re: Southerners Check In Please Skittles
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
When I lived in PA (for 30+) years and dealt with the snow, chains were very effective but rarely needed. Really, a good set of snow tires usually worked well but if you only need them once a year, kind of crazy to spend that kind of dough. Plus, snow chain and straps that perform similar duties have been developed even further in the time since I've used them. Do a 'net search (while you still can) and find out what works best and get a set.

Return to Top
#1998326 - 02/26/15 02:46 PM Re: Southerners Check In Please Skittles
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Here in South Central KY we rarely see chains. Like MB Guy stated, they are rarely needed so most don't fool with anything like that. I don't think many here have snow tires either. We just grin and bear it and hope the road department can salt/sand and assist.

Return to Top
#1998329 - 02/26/15 02:50 PM Re: Southerners Check In Please Skittles
DoS Offline
Gold Star
DoS
one state over
some states don't allow snow chains for the damage they do to the roads. I have lived in MN/WI my whole life and I have never seen anyone use them.

"Strip the Flesh, Salt the Wound" - Krieg

Return to Top
#1998331 - 02/26/15 02:55 PM Re: Southerners Check In Please Skittles
ahkcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
No one uses chains around here in Iowa. Don't really see snow tires either. I think a just a good set of tires help out tremendously.

Ice is tricking. I hate driving on it. It is kind of unpredictable whiling driving on it.

Return to Top
#1998334 - 02/26/15 03:00 PM Re: Southerners Check In Please Skittles
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
It's nice down here. A balmy 59 degrees and sunny.

CRCM

Return to Top
#1998335 - 02/26/15 03:02 PM Re: Southerners Check In Please Skittles
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Ditto the others-No chains cars up here. Good tires and cautious driving is the key. Don't hit the brakes.

Return to Top
#1998336 - 02/26/15 03:04 PM Re: Southerners Check In Please Skittles
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
I'm of the opinion that nothing helps you drive on the ice. I'll drive through snow but ice keeps me at home. Even if I can trust myself to drive on ice, I can't trust everyone else. Hope y'all get some sun soon! We're supposed to get some snow tomorrow and the dreaded mix on Saturday. I'm ready for winter to be DONE!!

Return to Top
#1998337 - 02/26/15 03:04 PM Re: Southerners Check In Please Skittles
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
no chains when they break they tear up the car, road other cars...

learn how to drive by practicing 'donuts" in an empty parking lot. It is also fun.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1998338 - 02/26/15 03:04 PM Re: Southerners Check In Please Skittles
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I've spent 47 winters in PA and have been driving in these conditions for 31 years. Nothing really helps on ice. Even if you were to find something that was effective, you stand a good chance of getting smashed into by someone else. Traditional chains actually may make ice worse as it reduces the contact of the tire to the pavement. I have not seen chains on a non-commercial vehicle (snow plow) since I was a kid. Some here still do studded tires which might work to some degree on ice, but they are only permitted from November to April I believe and would not be practical for a once or twice a year event.

Return to Top
#1998341 - 02/26/15 03:13 PM Re: Southerners Check In Please Skittles
Stupendous Man Offline
New Poster
Texas
thanks for the comments you guys. I really thought they were more common up north, but looks like i was wrong.

Looks like i'll just stick to regular tires and leaving super early so i can be mostly alone on the road (my thought is that if i'm alone the risk is minimal. If there's no one else on the road, the worse case scenario is hitting the curb, and i dont go fast enough to go shooting into the countryside)

Return to Top
#1998345 - 02/26/15 03:19 PM Re: Southerners Check In Please Stupendous Man
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Been here my whole life and have never seen chains or tire studs used. That might have something to do with them being illegal in Minnesota.

Most people find a good all season tire works well in the snow but ice is a whole 'nother beast. Nothing helps with that.

Return to Top
#1998348 - 02/26/15 03:24 PM Re: Southerners Check In Please Skittles
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
There is a webpage for that

http://icyroadsafety.com/tips.shtml

number 2

CAMS

Return to Top
#1998353 - 02/26/15 03:33 PM Re: Southerners Check In Please Skittles
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
My truck is wrecked now because of #8. Stopped to help a lady on an icy hill, BAM! Now two cars with damage.

#2 is correct, nothing really works on ice.

Return to Top
#1998354 - 02/26/15 03:34 PM Re: Southerners Check In Please Skittles
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
I grew up in Chicago, and I remember people changing to snow tires in the winter in the 60s. But that died out once you could buy radial tires with all-season treads. Now that I live downstate, I've had to deal with ice more often, and there isn't anything for that. When you hit the breaks, your car becomes a sled.

Return to Top
#1998361 - 02/26/15 03:49 PM Re: Southerners Check In Please Skittles
TMatt87 Offline
Diamond Poster
TMatt87
Idaho
I went to college in Utah, and it was always very obvious which students were from Cali or Arizona when the first snow fell.

Bottom line, drive extremely cautiously, don't make sudden movements (either turning or braking), and watch out for other drivers.

Return to Top
#1998364 - 02/26/15 03:51 PM Re: Southerners Check In Please Skittles
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
I'm in Raleigh this week. Staying in the hotel today. The power finally came back on. Kid wonder said it snowed a little bit in Tucker but it has all melted now. Plenty of work to do......

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1998383 - 02/26/15 04:50 PM Re: Southerners Check In Please Skittles
Busy Bee, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
PacificNW
I'm in central WA and live at a higher elevation than if we were in town. When there is an inch or two in town, we get a 10 to 12 inches. I have an all wheel drive vehicle with studded snow tires. It does incredibly well. I have complete confidence in the car's ability to travel through winter conditions. We've had a mild winter, but there was one day that it rained a little and froze then snowed on top. My car was a little squirrel-y, but it was on a weekend so we got home and stayed home.

Return to Top
#1998384 - 02/26/15 04:56 PM Re: Southerners Check In Please Busy Bee, CRCM
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: Busy Bee, CRCM
. My car was a little squirrel-y, but it was on a weekend so we got home and stayed home.

https://websquirrellolz.wordpress.com/2012/11/22/i-have-a-new-shiny-red-car-wait-what/

This explains it

CAMS

Return to Top
#1998409 - 02/26/15 05:38 PM Re: Southerners Check In Please Stupendous Man
BotV#6 Offline
Power Poster
BotV#6
Anywhere I want to be
Originally Posted By: Stupendous Man
Hey, i got a question for any of you guys further north who deal with the cold more often---how effective are snow chains or cables or what have you on ice? or is there a more effective product (short of different tires) that really helps with sliding.

i was thinking of getting some. it's only a day or two here each year that it's a problem (And it's normally ice, not snow) but those days are so bad, that if i can find something to make it manageable, i'd splurge and pay for it. Especially if it would last the rest of my life (or at least the rest of my cars life).

Growing up, I remember my dad putting chains on and they are very effective. That said, with newer vehicles, I wouldn't recommend using them due to the risk of damaging the vehicle.

Return to Top
#1998421 - 02/26/15 06:00 PM Re: Southerners Check In Please BotV#6
'Lil Freak! Offline
10K Club
'Lil Freak!
The psych ward
Mount Rainier National Park Tire Chain Requirement:
All vehicles are required to carry tire chains when traveling in the park during the winter season (November 1 - May 1). This requirement applies to all vehicles (including four-wheel-drive), regardless of tire type or weather conditions.

The only reason why I purchased cables for the SUV.

Return to Top
#1998422 - 02/26/15 06:02 PM Re: Southerners Check In Please Skittles
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
Like Backstreets mentioned central SC (AKA Midlands) was just above freezing, and had a bunch of rain - the upstate/mountain areas got some snow.
Lucky for us - there's probably more salt in your lunchrooms that the SC DOT has saved up for the streets.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3