Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2002275 - 03/18/15 01:07 PM Co-Executors and Co-Trustees
kburrows Offline
kburrows
Iowa
What do you do when a court appointment of co-executors or a trust document with co-trustees is styled with "and" in the title and doesn't specifically say the co-appointees can act independently? We do not typically monitor for "two signatures required" directives and do not permit consumer accounts to be styled this way. Are you monitoring for two signatures? Refusing to open the accounts? Another alternative I am not thinking of?

Thanks!

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#2002321 - 03/18/15 03:11 PM Re: Co-Executors and Co-Trustees kburrows
dottiec Offline
Gold Star
We monitor them for two signatures.

Return to Top
#2002415 - 03/18/15 05:38 PM Re: Co-Executors and Co-Trustees kburrows
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
If the documents do not say they can act independently, then you are correct in imposing a "two signatures required" approach. If you are going to monitor them, charge for it. If you are not going to monitor them get both parties to sign an agreement that they will not issue any checks without both signatures, but agreeing to hold the bank harmless in their fiduciary capacities and indemnify the bank in their personal capacities if a single signature check is paid.

There's some illogic in that, but there is even more illogic in agreeing to do it without being paid for it.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett