BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2002299 - 03/18/15 02:21 PM Be Patriotic: Fly Old Glory At Your Home
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
Love seeing a neighborhood filled with American Flags proudly displayed. It just looks good. The flag is usually indicative of someone who keeps a nice yard as well.

Note: If you choose to fly the flag, be sure to obey the flag code.

Reference: http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/faq.htm

CRCM

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2002304 - 03/18/15 02:32 PM Re: Be Patriotic: Fly Old Glory At Your Home Norman Paperman
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
http://allenbwest.com/2015/03/california...-racist-symbol/

" U.C. Irvine student government association voted 6-4-2 to remove Old Glory from a campus lobby for the sake of cultural inclusivity."

You are a dying breed Norman!

Return to Top
#2002309 - 03/18/15 02:50 PM Re: Be Patriotic: Fly Old Glory At Your Home Norman Paperman
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
I know. It's c r a p like this that reiterates the need to fly old glory.

My tongue is bleeding: Please fight the urge to degrade this to a political thread that inevitably gets locked down.

Go out and buy yourself a shiny new flag today.

CRCM

Return to Top
#2002311 - 03/18/15 02:57 PM Re: Be Patriotic: Fly Old Glory At Your Home Norman Paperman
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
Stop biting your tongue Norman, and it won't bleed like that.

Strangely enough, we visited friends in Austria some months ago and they enthusiastically flew a shiny new American flag for us along side the Austrian flag that they typically fly from their second floor balcony.

There are those, even in other nations, who have pride in America.

Return to Top
#2002313 - 03/18/15 03:04 PM Re: Be Patriotic: Fly Old Glory At Your Home Norman Paperman
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Interesting read. Amazing how many things are currently in violation of the flag code.

Return to Top
#2002326 - 03/18/15 03:23 PM Re: Be Patriotic: Fly Old Glory At Your Home Norman Paperman
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
If there was ever a flag that stood for cultural inclusivity it was the stars and stripes. I know our nation hasn't been perfect, but how many of had grandparents or great grandparents that arrived here with a suitcase and a funny accent, and somehow found a way to be included. The same flag that was carried by those fighting against slavery.

Return to Top
#2002454 - 03/18/15 06:53 PM Re: Be Patriotic: Fly Old Glory At Your Home Norman Paperman
NotDoneYet Offline
Gold Star
NotDoneYet
PA
"U.C. Irvine student government association voted 6-4-2 to remove Old Glory from a campus lobby for the sake of cultural inclusivity."

But that is exactly what Old Glory represents.

Return to Top
#2002541 - 03/19/15 08:11 AM Re: Be Patriotic: Fly Old Glory At Your Home Norman Paperman
Citrus Offline
Diamond Poster
Actually, the UCI article you reference was not the end of the story... the student government leaders said 'no way' would they remove their flag. Just days after the flag was banned, the ban was reversed.

"This misguided decision was not endorsed or supported in any way by the campus leadership, the University of California, or the broader student body. The views of a handful of students passing a resolution do not represent the opinions of the nearly 30,000 students on this campus, and have no influence on the policies and practices of the university.

The American flag is still proudly flying throughout our campus and will continue to do so."

smile

Return to Top
#2002561 - 03/19/15 01:16 PM Re: Be Patriotic: Fly Old Glory At Your Home Norman Paperman
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle

Return to Top
#2002621 - 03/19/15 03:11 PM Re: Be Patriotic: Fly Old Glory At Your Home Norman Paperman
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
I do, and I do follow the code except for the night illumination. My flag is on a bracket pole on the back of my house facing the runway and is impractical to take down every evening. However it flys right outside our bedroom window, so I'm not going to keep a floodlight on it all night every night either. Since our grass strip runway is not lighted at night, there is absolutely no traffic that would be able to see the flag at night even if it was illuminated.

Return to Top
#2002633 - 03/19/15 03:41 PM Re: Be Patriotic: Fly Old Glory At Your Home Norman Paperman
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
I bought a solar spot light for my parents flag. It lights the flag enough to be seen, but isn't so bright that it is annoying.

Return to Top
#2002640 - 03/19/15 04:00 PM Re: Be Patriotic: Fly Old Glory At Your Home DD Regs
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Originally Posted By: DD Regs
I bought a solar spot light for my parents flag. It lights the flag enough to be seen, but isn't so bright that it is annoying.
I'll look into that. Thanks.

Return to Top
#2002642 - 03/19/15 04:03 PM Re: Be Patriotic: Fly Old Glory At Your Home Norman Paperman
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
We too have a solar led spotlight the attaches to the top of the pole and shines a soft light down on it... not obtrusive to sleeping at all, and it gives us a good marker to the whereabouts to turn to make our pier coming down the river late at night.

Return to Top
#2002695 - 03/19/15 06:15 PM Re: Be Patriotic: Fly Old Glory At Your Home Norman Paperman
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
Oh SHUT UP you two! I need a spot-light for my airstrip. I have a spot-light for my dock on the river.

::The tone here was obviously a joke:: Good for you guys.

I just paid off a vehicle. laugh

CRCM

Return to Top
#2002716 - 03/19/15 06:54 PM Re: Be Patriotic: Fly Old Glory At Your Home Norman Paperman
Citrus Offline
Diamond Poster

I live in the area and have followed this story closely.

Sorry I didn't cite my source - it was from UCI directly.

UCI.edu

smile

Return to Top
#2002732 - 03/19/15 07:04 PM Re: Be Patriotic: Fly Old Glory At Your Home Norman Paperman
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
We put some solar lights near a thatch hut in the swamp. Someone stole them.

I hope it was just a swamp pack rat! eek
Last edited by RR Joker; 03/19/15 07:05 PM.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2003207 - 03/22/15 07:11 PM Re: Be Patriotic: Fly Old Glory At Your Home Norman Paperman
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Originally Posted By: Norman Paperman
Oh SHUT UP you two! I need a spot-light for my airstrip. I have a spot-light for my dock on the river.

::The tone here was obviously a joke:: Good for you guys.

I just paid off a vehicle. laugh
No question, I'm living the dream, baby.

Return to Top