Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2005512 - 04/01/15 02:15 PM Does anyone have a Teddy Bear dog?
Happy Drugs Offline
Platinum Poster
Happy Drugs
Central Texas
So we buy this teddy bear dog who is part shih tzu and bichon frise. He is the most adorable little guy you could ever want, those big black eyes and the best personality. He is however unruly and he ignores us when we tell him no and pop him. He just keeps doing what he is doing looking at us the whole time. I have had many puppies in my time, but he is the worst. Is it the breed, does anyone know?

He is the best cuddler and little friend to have around, he makes us laugh and he is so full of life! I have threatened him with the Puppy Mill, but he just licks me in the face and wags his tail at me!

Return to Top
#2005518 - 04/01/15 02:26 PM Re: Does anyone have a Teddy Bear dog? Happy Drugs
Bones Offline
Power Poster
Bones
Land of Enchantment
It might be the Shih tzu in him, because we have one that is ornery as heck! Doesn't listen to save his life and does what he wants to do. lol We love him to death, but he is trying at times.

Return to Top
#2005532 - 04/01/15 02:42 PM Re: Does anyone have a Teddy Bear dog? Happy Drugs
DoS Offline
Gold Star
DoS
one state over
I have only ever had medium to larger size dogs (a shih Tzu is terrible at retrieving pheasants) but a pinch collar and stern commands have always worked for me, no matter the breed.

"Strip the Flesh, Salt the Wound" - Krieg

Return to Top
#2005536 - 04/01/15 02:47 PM Re: Does anyone have a Teddy Bear dog? Happy Drugs
Happy Drugs Offline
Platinum Poster
Happy Drugs
Central Texas
Boo loves the outdoors! He escapes when he can and he doesn't run he leaps and flies! He makes a run around the yard and he comes running back to me and slids in on all four to a screeching halt in front of me to pick him up and carry him in.

It is really hard to be stern with him!

Return to Top
#2005582 - 04/01/15 04:46 PM Re: Does anyone have a Teddy Bear dog? Happy Drugs
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Maybe a training class for both of you?

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#2005584 - 04/01/15 04:56 PM Re: Does anyone have a Teddy Bear dog? Happy Drugs
Happy Drugs Offline
Platinum Poster
Happy Drugs
Central Texas
I have defintely let this one get away with alot more than I did my other dogs! My boxer is well disciplined! He sits when I tell him, I tell him to stay when we are outside and he does!

Complete difference!

Return to Top
#2005587 - 04/01/15 05:05 PM Re: Does anyone have a Teddy Bear dog? Happy Drugs
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
How old is he? Puppy exuberance is one thing. Established dog behavior takes some work to change. Sounds like he's not responding to voice shaming. And I don't know what you mean by 'pop him'.

A bit of research says these dogs are really smart so keeping him engaged and challenged may be the way to train his bad behavior from having time to come out. And the eyes have it in this breed, so maybe looking just over his head when you correct him will be disconcerting enough to make him obey just to get your full attention.

I'm currently working with a foster who alternates between being crushed if I tell her 'bad dog' to obstinately laying down in the street when she doesn't want to walk anymore. Never been up against the latter behavior before, so I'm learning as I go. The one thing I'm sure of is I can't give in to her big ol' eyes even once or she'll think she can do it again.

Return to Top
#2005590 - 04/01/15 05:31 PM Re: Does anyone have a Teddy Bear dog? Happy Drugs
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
I will go with the "It might be the Shih tzu in him" My folks had a terrier that got along will all dogs cats birds except the neighbors Shih Tzu. She would just run to the fence as fast as she could and stop, many times just to drive the mop crazy. It was fun to watch.

CAMS

Return to Top
#2005595 - 04/01/15 05:42 PM Re: Does anyone have a Teddy Bear dog? Happy Drugs
Dlynn58 Offline
Platinum Poster
Texas
I have two 6 year old Shih tzus. They can be very hard headed, but my two mind very well. One I've had since he was 8 weeks old, the other I got when she was a little over a year old. Routine and firm repetition I believe is the key to making them obey you. I also think that one word commands like sit, stay, come etc are the simplest for them to understand. It can be very trying at first, but they will eventually get it. Good Luck.

Return to Top
#2005702 - 04/01/15 08:39 PM Re: Does anyone have a Teddy Bear dog? Happy Drugs
Happy Drugs Offline
Platinum Poster
Happy Drugs
Central Texas
Truffle in Texas slang "pop" means a swat on the behind! I know we have a language all on our own! He is a smart little guy and when I come home at night he runs to the living room and gets his squeak toy and comes running to me squeaking it and prancing! He is not a year old yet!

Truffle I admire you for fostering these precious little creatures. I also have a cat and they get along so well! I will try the looking over his head! He loves everyone, I just want him to have good manners!

Return to Top
#2005715 - 04/01/15 09:05 PM Re: Does anyone have a Teddy Bear dog? Happy Drugs
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
Could it be that he is looking for attention? Some dogs crave attention and will do what it takes to get it, even if it's what we would consider negative attention (like a 'pop'). It might help to make sure he gets lots of positive attention (play time and walks) and don't let him get in a position to be unruly. If he plays with the kids toys, or with your shoes, make sure those items are always put away. If he starts chasing the cat, put him on a tether, etc. Try rewarding him for doing what you want him to do. For example, don't put his food dish down unless he's sitting.

Return to Top
#2005728 - 04/01/15 09:40 PM Re: Does anyone have a Teddy Bear dog? Truffle Royale
Norman Paperman Online
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
Originally Posted By Truffle Royale
How old is he? Puppy exuberance is one thing. Established dog behavior takes some work to change. Sounds like he's not responding to voice shaming. And I don't know what you mean by 'pop him'.

A bit of research says these dogs are really smart so keeping him engaged and challenged may be the way to train his bad behavior from having time to come out. And the eyes have it in this breed, so maybe looking just over his head when you correct him will be disconcerting enough to make him obey just to get your full attention.

I'm currently working with a foster who alternates between being crushed if I tell her 'bad dog' to obstinately laying down in the street when she doesn't want to walk anymore. Never been up against the latter behavior before, so I'm learning as I go. The one thing I'm sure of is I can't give in to her big ol' eyes even once or she'll think she can do it again.

I'm sorry, is "Teddy Bear Dog" code for Loan Officer?

CRCM

Return to Top
#2005729 - 04/01/15 09:43 PM Re: Does anyone have a Teddy Bear dog? hmdagal
Norman Paperman Online
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
Originally Posted By hmdagal
Could it be that he is looking for attention? Some LOAN OFFICERS crave attention and will do what it takes to get it, even if it's what we would consider negative attention (like a 'pop'). It might help to make sure he gets lots of positive attention (play time and walks) and don't let him get in a position to be unruly. If he plays with the kids toys, or with your shoes, make sure those items are always put away. If he starts chasing the cat, put him on a tether, etc. Try rewarding him for doing what you want him to do. For example, don't put his food dish down unless he's sitting.

I'm rolling here!

CRCM

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett