Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2005797 - 04/02/15 02:21 PM Corporation - DBA
jpeter Offline
We have a customer that currently has an account that is titled ABC Company Inc. This account is under an EIN. He and his wife are the sole owners and signers of the corporation. He has dissolved the corporation and would like to keep the same account number only retitiling it under his name d/b/a Joes Lawns and using his SSN. I am unsure if this should be done. I would prefer a clean slate, but hestitate for fear of losing this customer. Thank you for any wisdom on this subject.

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#2005799 - 04/02/15 02:25 PM Re: Corporation - DBA jpeter
osucpa Offline
Diamond Poster
The most common and best answer you will receive is close the account and start over.

Return to Top
#2005802 - 04/02/15 02:33 PM Re: Corporation - DBA jpeter
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Close account A. Open account B.

The corporation ceased to exist and cannot pass ownership of the account to one of its shareholders.

If he and wifey are going to own the new account it will be a partnership (unless your state has an explicit law to the contrary) and they will need a new EIN. In many states, "Joes Lawns" would be required to register as a DBA and you would need proof they had done so.

Return to Top
#2005835 - 04/02/15 03:48 PM Re: Corporation - DBA jpeter
ItNeverEnds CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
Looking for my sanity
Think about issues you would have if you were served with a levy or other legal process and you had left that account open. That would be a nightmare to try and figure out. You don't have any option but to close and re-open. If they are a valuable client, you can certainly make this as easy on them by not charging for new checks, etc.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett