BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2008341 - 04/15/15 08:22 PM Down Payment Assistance programs & GFE/TIL
Red Raiders Offline
Diamond Poster
Red Raiders
Compliance Land
I had a colleague from another bank ask this and not sure of the answer:

His bank is in a state that currently has a down payment assistance program through a state agency. It is the exact same amount for each borrower, zero interest, and repayable monthly over 10 years. The agency takes a junior mortgage on the property and a large national bank services this 2nd mortgage (not his bank).

His question is, does this junior mortgage require a GFE, TIL and final TIL? Not sure that I've seen this before.

Thanks!

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#2010265 - 04/24/15 07:15 PM Re: Down Payment Assistance programs & GFE/TIL Red Raiders
Red Raiders Offline
Diamond Poster
Red Raiders
Compliance Land
Bump...

Also, to be clear, the state agency is the lender on this second mortgage. Not his bank.

Return to Top
#2010551 - 04/27/15 07:38 PM Re: Down Payment Assistance programs & GFE/TIL Red Raiders
Red Raiders Offline
Diamond Poster
Red Raiders
Compliance Land
Any thoughts?

Return to Top
#2010614 - 04/27/15 11:19 PM Re: Down Payment Assistance programs & GFE/TIL Red Raiders
fmissle Offline
Diamond Poster
Pac NW
Well,
I am far from knowledgeable about RESPA.

I'm going to say No, it's not a RESPA transaction. I'm basing this on the following:

See ii,D

Quote:
Federally related mortgage loan means:

(1) Any loan (other than temporary financing, such as a construction loan):

(i) That is secured by a first or subordinate lien on residential real property, including a refinancing of any secured loan on residential real property, upon which there is either:

(ii) For which one of the following paragraphs applies. The loan:

(A) Is made in whole or in part by any lender that is either regulated by or whose deposits or accounts are insured by any agency of the Federal Government;

(B) Is made in whole or in part, or is insured, guaranteed, supplemented, or assisted in any way:

(1) By the Secretary of the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) or any other officer or agency of the Federal Government; or

(2) Under or in connection with a housing or urban development program administered by the Secretary of HUD or a housing or related program administered by any other officer or agency of the Federal Government;

(C) Is intended to be sold by the originating lender to the Federal National Mortgage Association, the Government National Mortgage Association, the Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation (or its successors), or a financial institution from which the loan is to be purchased by the Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation (or its successors);

(D) Is made in whole or in part by a “creditor,” as defined in section 103(g) of the Consumer Credit Protection Act (15 U.S.C. 1602(g)), that makes or invests in residential real estate loans aggregating more than $1,000,000 per year. For purposes of this definition, the term “creditor” does not include any agency or instrumentality of any State, and the term “residential real estate loan” means any loan secured by residential real property, including single-family and multifamily residential property;

(E) Is originated either by a dealer or, if the obligation is to be assigned to any maker of mortgage loans specified in paragraphs (1)(ii)(A) through (D) of this definition, by a mortgage broker; or

(F) Is the subject of a home equity conversion mortgage, also frequently called a “reverse mortgage,” issued by any maker of mortgage loans specified in paragraphs (1)(ii)(A) through (D) of this definition.

(2) Any installment sales contract, land contract, or contract for deed on otherwise qualifying residential property is a federally related mortgage loan if the contract is funded in whole or in part by proceeds of a loan made by any maker of mortgage loans specified in paragraphs (1)(ii) (A) through (D) of this definition.

(3) If the residential real property securing a mortgage loan is not located in a State, the loan is not a federally related mortgage loan.

I'm probably way off though, but maybe this will start some discussion on it.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z