Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2008552 - 04/16/15 06:18 PM Flood-detached structures
Kristi Offline
Kristi
Would just like to get some opinions (which hopefully agree with mine haha) about the detached structures exemption for flood insurance. What I have found is that is references the exemption for detached structures on residential properties which to me would be detached garages, storage buildings, etc).

Ex. We have a 200 acre farm with a residence and about 6 other structures (barns, silos, etc) mostly made of metal or concrete. They are wanting to use that exemption because there's a residence also on the farm and they would like to say that these structures are detached from the residence. The fact that when they flood they cause zero damage because of what they are made of.

My thought is that although there is a residence on the farm, the structures are not residential properties and therefore do not qualify for the exemption.

Anyone have an opinion on this?

Return to Top
Flood Compliance
#2008559 - 04/16/15 06:29 PM Re: Flood-detached structures Kristi
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
I agree with you. Look at your statement "there's a residence also on the farm" and ask "so is it a RESIDENCE or a FARM? If it's a farm, how does it qualify as a "residential property"?

I also question this statement: "The fact that when they flood they cause zero damage because of what they are made of." LOTS of buildings like this are damaged when flood happens. Flood tear apart foundation and footers. The flood regulations don't allow for "not much damage can occur to this building; therefore, it doesn't need flood insurance."

Return to Top