Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2005901 - 04/02/15 05:26 PM Amount of force place flood insurance
MT Pockets Offline
100 Club
Up North
If the Bank determines that the flood insurance coverage is deficient, what is the amount of insurance to force place -the required amount of coverage or the difference between the amount of insurance the borrower has and the required amount?

The FDIC Compliance Exam Manual says the amount that must be force placed for flood insurance is the difference between the present amount of coverage and the required amount. However, I thought there could only be one flood insurance policy per building which would require the Bank to force place for the entire required amount. What am I missing?

Return to Top
Flood Compliance
#2005904 - 04/02/15 05:29 PM Re: Amount of force place flood insurance MT Pockets
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
One NFIP policy only. If you are forcing a private policy, then you need to get with your provider to figure out how to do this. An NFIP for $100,000 and a private policy for $50,000 - still only equals $100,000 in coverage as insurance is not cumulative.

Return to Top
#2005909 - 04/02/15 05:33 PM Re: Amount of force place flood insurance MT Pockets
MT Pockets Offline
100 Club
Up North
So the FDIC's required amount to force place would result in inadequate coverage?

Return to Top
#2005943 - 04/02/15 06:50 PM Re: Amount of force place flood insurance MT Pockets
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
The FDIC said you have to cover the difference, they did not go into what you have to do to accomplish that process.

Return to Top
#2008613 - 04/16/15 07:57 PM Re: Amount of force place flood insurance MT Pockets
midwestriver Offline
if the borrower has deficient flood coverage, you would simply force place what is called a "supplemental" flood policy. Since force placed flood is written through private insurers outside the NFIP, you would have two valid policies: the borrowers deficient policy from the NFIP and the one through your private FP flood insurer with the aggregate amount being the required amt of flood insurance.

Return to Top