Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2009308 - 04/21/15 07:12 PM Tax Refund into wrong Account - Reg E?
Compli(cated) Offline
100 Club
Wisconsin
A customer provided an incorrect account number with his tax returns; it matched a number of another customer and the refund was deposited into that account. Of course, the money is gone at this point.

Does the complaint fall within Reg E's error resolution requirements? As far as I can see, it is not really fitting into any of the categories and we'd rather not be providing provisional credit.

Any insight is appreciated!

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#2009329 - 04/21/15 08:03 PM Re: Tax Refund into wrong Account - Reg E? Compli(cated)
'Lil Freak! Offline
10K Club
'Lil Freak!
The psych ward

Return to Top
#2009414 - 04/22/15 01:37 PM Re: Tax Refund into wrong Account - Reg E? Compli(cated)
Compli(cated) Offline
100 Club
Wisconsin
Thanks 'Lil.

Unfortunately, that one does not address the Reg E question...
Last edited by Compli(cated); 04/22/15 01:42 PM.

Return to Top
#2009415 - 04/22/15 01:45 PM Re: Tax Refund into wrong Account - Reg E? Compli(cated)
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
I don't see this as falling into Reg E error resolution...not a charge to the customer, so no charge to dispute, no provisional credit to provide. Customer needs to lodge his complaint with the IRS and work through their process to get the funds directed to him correctly.

Return to Top
#2009419 - 04/22/15 01:56 PM Re: Tax Refund into wrong Account - Reg E? Compli(cated)
BrianC Online
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
The omission of an electronic funds transfer is a covered transaction. However, the investigation would be short.

"I didn't receive my tax refund."

"We reviewed our incoming ACH files and did not find any tax refunds that matched your account number. Claim denied."

Return to Top
#2009555 - 04/22/15 05:56 PM Re: Tax Refund into wrong Account - Reg E? Compli(cated)
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
There's also the argument that the customer authorized the transaction that DID post -- to the other account. But Brian's response is the one to use.

I wonder how much sympathy the IRS will show when the customer asks for his refund. I know I don't have much for him.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2009684 - 04/23/15 12:38 PM Re: Tax Refund into wrong Account - Reg E? HappyGilmore
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Quote:
Customer needs to lodge his complaint with the IRS and work through their process to get the funds directed to him correctly.

What Happy said; the IRS expects the taxpayer to complain to them and let them deal with it. From IRS Guidance:

What actions should be taken if an RDFI is contacted about a claim of non-receipt of a tax refund?

An RDFI may be contacted by Treasury Fiscal Service through receipt of a 150.1 or 150.2 Form, notifying the RDFI that one of its accountholders is claiming they did not receive their refund. If an RDFI receives a 150.2 Form, it is only responsible for contacting the accountholder and taking any necessary measures listed on the 150.2 Form. However if a 150.1 Form is received, an RDFI must respond to Treasury Fiscal Service within 3 business days of receipt. If the payment was misdirected to the wrong account and the funds are still available, the RDFI may be asked by Treasury Fiscal Service to return these funds to the IRS using the R06 (Request per ODFI’s Request) Return Reason Code.

Green Book discussion and examples of Forms 150.1 and 150.2

Just a suggestion, if I found the consumer's payment and realized it went into the wrong account because he gave the IRS the wrong number, I would not tell him that. I would tell him to go through channels and let the IRS tell him that he gave them the wrong account number...

"Ees not my yob" to deal with this and, if I try, it will become readily apparent that I cannot fix it, but will stil be stuck listening to someone whine about it.

Return to Top
#2009803 - 04/23/15 04:48 PM Re: Tax Refund into wrong Account - Reg E? Compli(cated)
Compli(cated) Offline
100 Club
Wisconsin
Thank you all for your responses. We did tell the customer to go to the IRS for a resolution. But since I am not the one who gets these complaints to begin with, I suspect that the customer was informed that his money went somewhere else. Regardless of their dissatisfaction, it does not change our final response.

Thanks again!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett