Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2009611 - 04/22/15 08:08 PM Bonus=Monthly Maintenance fee credit
KMenard Offline
We are offering a product that has a monthly maintenance fee of $xx.xx but the consumer may earn a $2.00 monthly credit if they have a recurring direct deposit. We have been advised that the $2.00 credit is really a bonus after 5 months. They are saying under 12 CFR 1030.2 it would be a bonus because the consumer is offered something for more than $10 in exchange for maintaining an account, however, I believe that it should be considered a waiver or reduction of a fee and would not be a bonus....any thoughts?

Return to Top
Marketing
#2009788 - 04/23/15 03:55 PM Re: Bonus=Monthly Maintenance fee credit KMenard
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
§1030.2(f): (f) Bonus means a premium, gift, award, or other consideration worth more than $10 (whether in the form of cash, credit, merchandise, or any equivalent) given or offered to a consumer during a year in exchange for opening, maintaining, renewing, or increasing an account balance. The term does not include interest, other consideration worth $10 or less given during a year, the waiver or reduction of a fee, or the absorption of expenses.

And from the Commentary:
4. Waiver or reduction of a fee or absorption of expenses. Bonuses do not include value that consumers receive through the waiver or reduction of fees (even if the fees waived exceed $10) for banking-related services such as . . .

What you describe is not a bonus, even if aggregated and exceeds $10.

Return to Top
#2107538 - 11/16/16 03:42 PM Re: Bonus=Monthly Maintenance fee credit KMenard
Monster Offline
Platinum Poster
Ahhhhh... Thank you David. I've been doing some bonus research and came across this older post and this saved me some time. I completely lost my head and forgot to read the definitions first.
P.S. I truly enjoyed your presentations at the ABA National Compliance School this year!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, MoneyMaker