BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2009744 - 04/23/15 03:04 PM OD assessment
Rosie O'Grady Offline
Gold Star
Rosie O'Grady
California
Can you help settle an argument?

Assuming the customer has opted in, when should an OD charge occur, when the funds are checked against an insufficient available balance or when the funds are posted against an insufficient available balance. I say when the funds are checked against an insufficient available balance. Correct?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#2009748 - 04/23/15 03:08 PM Re: OD assessment Rosie O'Grady
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Please describe what you mean by the funds being "checked".

Return to Top
#2009759 - 04/23/15 03:22 PM Re: OD assessment Rosie O'Grady
Rosie O'Grady Offline
Gold Star
Rosie O'Grady
California
In this instance, the customer has a pre-theorized debit that is pending payment, but the available balance is not high enough to pay the item. When the item actually settles, there may be enough funds to cover the item. Can the bank charge an OD fee since there were not available funds at the time of presentment.

Return to Top
#2009762 - 04/23/15 03:24 PM Re: OD assessment Rosie O'Grady
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
Can they? Yes, if that's what your opt-in disclosure says.

Should they? That's in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I absolutely hate this practice (assessing the fee against a presenting item that hasn't even posted yet).
Last edited by Dani York, CRCM; 04/23/15 03:24 PM.

Return to Top
#2009763 - 04/23/15 03:25 PM Re: OD assessment Dani York, CRCM
Rosie O'Grady Offline
Gold Star
Rosie O'Grady
California
What about if the debit has been pre-authorized on good funds, but when the item settles and there are not available funds? Does that change the situation?
Last edited by Rosie O'Grady; 04/23/15 03:26 PM.
Return to Top
#2009787 - 04/23/15 03:53 PM Re: OD assessment Rosie O'Grady
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
What does your disclosure say?

We charge OD fees on items based on the end of day balance after posting. That's in our disclosures.

You need to determine what you told your customer you would do in the opt-in notice and any other disclosures about OD fees. If it is not clear on how you will charge (presentment vs posting), you have potential UDAAP issues if you charge in a way that is more favorable to the bank.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett