Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2009450 - 04/22/15 02:47 PM WBA Compliance Forum
Snowmann Offline
Does anyone have any insight about the WBA Compliance Forums that they'd be willing to share? Does any fellow Compliance cohort feel this one is an absolute necessity?

I'm familiar with the CBC program through what used to be CBW, and that is still actively running, but I would appreciate some opinions on if you get more value out of one or the other.

Return to Top
#2009484 - 04/22/15 03:44 PM Re: WBA Compliance Forum Snowmann
DoS Offline
Gold Star
DoS
one state over
I am in WI but I go to the Minnesota Bankers Association training. Nothing against the WBA, but the MBA is a LOT closer. So, essentially this post does not address your question ... sorry

"Strip the Flesh, Salt the Wound" - Krieg

Return to Top
#2009761 - 04/23/15 03:23 PM Re: WBA Compliance Forum Snowmann
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
I feel they serve different purposes, but both are good in their own right. With the CBC program, you often get fewer compliance people, but duty specific people depending on the topic. Also, their sessions, IMO, tend to be more task and regulation driven, which gives you great take-aways and is a great value for the money!

The Compliance forum tends to be less technical, and maybe a little more theory like, if that makes sense. You tend to get more compliance specific people, a smaller group, so more one-on-on peer interaction, emphasis on not only the regulations, but also WI law changes, as well as reviews of each agencies changes and edicts since the last meeting. Also, presentations and discussions that shift away from the specific regulation rules, and often takes it to the next level: how to integrate the concepts into your organization, how it relates and ties with other rules, etc. Also, time is given to discuss best practices, actual real life application, and general peer to peer interaction, in a smaller group setting.

Again both really, good, but each do serve a different purpose.

Return to Top
#2011708 - 05/01/15 08:34 PM Re: WBA Compliance Forum Snowmann
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
I used to do the 'group' compliance meetings, and did find that 'how do you handle this' feeling was quite helpful especially when I was newer to compliance. You certainly do get different real life conversations out of it that are quite valuable.

That being said - now that I have been in compliance for over 10 years, I find that the CBC sessions are just what I need to keep in touch with all the rules, keep up on the new rules, and the presenter is very good about giving the rule plus what it really means to the bank. And the books they had out are wonderful resources when you get back to your shop.

Plus - if you are REALLY lucky, you run into someone from BOL that you can finally meet in person after years of chatting online :-)

Return to Top
#2011739 - 05/01/15 09:38 PM Re: WBA Compliance Forum Beagles22
BowlingQueen Offline
Power Poster
Wisconsin
Originally Posted By Beagle Queen
Plus - if you are REALLY lucky, you run into someone from BOL that you can finally meet in person after years of chatting online :-)

True that! grin

I get something out of both venues and I like that the WBA has featured speakers to mix up the day a bit.

I feel left out at the moment, since the focus is so mortgage-heavy right now and I don't do mortgage compliance. frown (not that I should complain about that lol)

Return to Top
#2011757 - 05/01/15 11:03 PM Re: WBA Compliance Forum Snowmann
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
Just be glad you don't do mortgages :-)

Return to Top
#2011779 - 05/04/15 01:34 PM Re: WBA Compliance Forum Snowmann
BowlingQueen Offline
Power Poster
Wisconsin
Oh, I'm glad for that. smile