Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#2011685 - 05/01/15 08:04 PM stupidest reporting ever? dumbest employees?
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:
SeaWorld cited over safety of trainers who work with orcas
Source: Associated Press
Publication date: 2015-05-01

SAN DIEGO (AP) — SeaWorld — whose safety practices have been under scrutiny since an animal trainer was killed in 2010 by an orca at its Orlando, Florida , park — has now been cited for not adequately protecting its killer-whale trainers at its park in San Diego .

The California Division of Occupational Safety and Health issued four citations this week that carry nearly $26,000 in fines. SeaWorld Entertainment Inc. said in a statement that the citations show a "fundamental misunderstanding" of what's needed to care for orcas and that it plans to appeal.

According to the citations, the park hasn't kept employees aware of the dangers posed by orcas, and it required them to sign an annual confidentiality form that discouraged trainers from reporting hazards for fear of reprisal. They say employees ride and swim with killer whales in the park's medical pool — although keepers have not been allowed in the Shamu Stadium pool during orca shows since the Orlando death. It also cited SeaWorld for allowing trainers to be with orcas in shallow areas on the edges of pools known as "slide outs."

The theme park also is accused of not effectively training its employees and supervisors to safely interact with killer whales. The citations stem largely from an inspection on Oct. 29 .

The company's safety practices have drawn fire since SeaWorld trainer Dawn Brancheau was killed in 2010 when killer whale Tilikum grabbed her and pulled her into a pool.

SeaWorld was cited for violating federal safety workplace following an investigation into Brancheau's drowning that found the park had exposed its trainers to recognized hazards when working in close contact with orcas during performances.

The company said in a statement that it has since made improvements to its killer-whale program, including fast-lifting pool floors that could help to quickly separate trainers from a killer whale.

It noted that the San Diego park citations "were not precipitated by any workplace incident, accident or injury, and they reflect a fundamental misunderstanding of the requirements of safely caring for killer whales in a zoological setting."

The safety of its employees and welfare of the animals is a top priority, the company said.

Tilikum became the focus of the 2013 documentary film "Blackfish" that suggested the treatment of captive orcas provokes violent behavior. Park attendance dropped after the release of the documentary.

Animal-rights groups have filed lawsuits to force an end to its popular killer whale shows.

" SeaWorld resists safety reforms every step of the way because it puts profit before the welfare of its employees and the orcas confined so miserably to its tiny concrete tanks," said Jared Goodman of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals , or PETA , that has sued SeaWorld to demand the orcas be freed. "With the life-threatening dangers to trainers and the detrimental effects of enslaving intelligent, social, and far-ranging orcas, SeaWorld 's tawdry shows will soon be a thing of the past. SeaWorld needs to make the only responsible and humane choice and release its captive orcas to coastal sanctuaries."

hello? they are freaking called "killer whales". they killed a former employee. those sound like 2 great indicators to me the dangers of getting in the water with them. there is no "safe" way to interact with them, they are wild and can kill you. safest thing to do is work the ice cream booth at SeaWorld and not put yourself in that situation. and a $26,000 fine...doesn't sound to much like they are trying to cause a burden to them.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2011689 - 05/01/15 08:05 PM Re: stupidest reporting ever? dumbest employees? HappyGilmore
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
I see the Senate working on KWIDA- Killer Whale Integrated Disclosure Act

Return to Top
#2011705 - 05/01/15 08:27 PM Re: stupidest reporting ever? dumbest employees? HappyGilmore
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By HappyGilmore
[quote]
safest thing to do is work the ice cream booth at SeaWorld and not put yourself in that situation. and a $26,000 fine...doesn't sound to much like they are trying to cause a burden to them.

Overweighey is the leading killer of Americans.

CAMS

Return to Top
#2011710 - 05/01/15 08:38 PM Re: stupidest reporting ever? dumbest employees? HappyGilmore
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
What ever happened to logic? Where did that go?

Return to Top
#2011736 - 05/01/15 09:33 PM Re: stupidest reporting ever? dumbest employees? HappyGilmore
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Free Willey!!!!

Return to Top
#2011747 - 05/01/15 09:58 PM Re: stupidest reporting ever? dumbest employees? HappyGilmore
Wolfy Offline
Wolfy
Mid West
Yes they are dangerous but I fear using my personal limited knowledge of the creatures and how they are cared for to judge those that do the work for a living with years of training and experience I do not. I get the same feeling when fast food workers start telling me how banking should be "fixed"

Personally having seen that death referenced in that report on news video I vowed to never watch a show like that, never have, never will. Keeping wild animals in confinement for my personal amusement does not trip my trigger. But I know plenty of people that love those shows and/or the Zoo and more power to them. Just not my thing.

Return to Top
#2012318 - 05/06/15 01:18 PM Re: stupidest reporting ever? dumbest employees? Beagles22
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
Originally Posted By Beagle Queen
What ever happened to logic? Where did that go?

Logic was rendered irrelevant with the advent of government bureaucracy. At least that's the most logical explanation for its demise.

Return to Top
#2012323 - 05/06/15 01:28 PM Re: stupidest reporting ever? dumbest employees? HappyGilmore
Dazed Auditor Offline
Platinum Poster
Dazed Auditor
Acceptance, USA America
Has anyone one seen that movie Blackfish? I will never go to SeaWorld again.

Return to Top
#2012328 - 05/06/15 01:37 PM Re: stupidest reporting ever? dumbest employees? HappyGilmore
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
There are two sides to every coin,

another side (I am not killer whale trainer and as such do not know the truth)

http://marinemammaltrainer.com/the-truth-behind-blackfish/

On of my issues is that in the film (I am told I have not seen it) the trainers did not know the safety risks in dealing with killer whales. What part of killer as a safety risk do they not understand?

CAMS

Return to Top
#2012335 - 05/06/15 01:51 PM Re: stupidest reporting ever? dumbest employees? HappyGilmore
Dazed Auditor Offline
Platinum Poster
Dazed Auditor
Acceptance, USA America
I agree that there are two sides to every story and Blackfish probably is not unbiased. My thought is that there have been lots of incidents where trainers have been attacked and/or killed. The trainer is at the mercy of this killer. As someone already posted, they call them Killer Whales for a reason. I found the movie disturbing enough that I am done with these types of parks.

Return to Top
#2012337 - 05/06/15 01:58 PM Re: stupidest reporting ever? dumbest employees? HappyGilmore
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Zoos?
Petting Zoos?
Aquariums?
Circus?
Zigfried and Roy?
Fake Amish farms?
Nature preserves?
Movies and TV?

CAMS

Return to Top
#2012338 - 05/06/15 02:06 PM Re: stupidest reporting ever? dumbest employees? HappyGilmore
Dazed Auditor Offline
Platinum Poster
Dazed Auditor
Acceptance, USA America
Since movies and TV are not parks, I still watch those. I pretty much have no interest in any of the other options listed. As a result, I would not likely watch a movie or TV about things such as a petting zoo or fake Amish farm. I will confess that I do plan to see the next Jurassic Park movie.

Return to Top
#2012340 - 05/06/15 02:09 PM Re: stupidest reporting ever? dumbest employees? HappyGilmore
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
What is the difference between Movies and TV treatment of animals and SeaWorld other than the rescue effort that SeaWorld provides?

CAMS

Return to Top
#2012342 - 05/06/15 02:14 PM Re: stupidest reporting ever? dumbest employees? HappyGilmore
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
perhaps we should give up our dogs and horses (I would say cats but could anyone really train a cat)as they are trained as well.

How about service dogs and Police dogs?

CAMS

Return to Top
#2012354 - 05/06/15 02:46 PM Re: stupidest reporting ever? dumbest employees? HappyGilmore
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
Food for thought, you've given us, Ed.

Of course I'm old-fashioned, maintaining the simple view of animals as blessings for mankind, subscribing to the premise of Genesis 1:28.

Things are different these days. Mankind doesn't know if he's "washing or hanging out to dry" in his relationship with the animal kingdom. He dithers between excessively doting on his pets and religiously crusading against ambiguously defined and often contradictory notions of animal rights and animal abuse and he manages to be both self-centered and self-righteous about his excesses.

Do killer whales taste good?
Last edited by noelekal; 05/06/15 02:51 PM.

Return to Top
#2012356 - 05/06/15 02:50 PM Re: stupidest reporting ever? dumbest employees? HappyGilmore
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here

CAMS

Return to Top
#2012357 - 05/06/15 02:52 PM Re: stupidest reporting ever? dumbest employees? HappyGilmore
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
Well ... yum then!

Return to Top
#2012363 - 05/06/15 02:58 PM Re: stupidest reporting ever? dumbest employees? HappyGilmore
RebekahL CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
RebekahL CRCM
Big Sky Country
I loved Sea World as a kid, but I just can't take my kids there now that I've seen Blackfish either. And I'm no bleeding heart PETA fan either. What I do feel is that we need to be good stewards of God's creation. To that end, I'm pro-hunting but not pro-exploitation. Service dogs and Police dogs benefit humans AND have a relationship with their human. "Being trained" is not inherently evil.

So, in my mind there is a world of difference between sharing a life with my domesticated pet, and keeping captive a wild animal whose sole "purpose" in life is now to come out and perform for our entertainment for a few minutes, to then return to a small enclosure. That is pure exploitation, nothing more.

Return to Top
#2012370 - 05/06/15 03:04 PM Re: stupidest reporting ever? dumbest employees? HappyGilmore
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
What if the kept killer whale (or whatever) benefits or inspires humans who would otherwise not have opportunity to see these creatures, would it be worth it if a few of these animals were kept, well tended and didn't eat more than two or three trainers?

Return to Top
#2012372 - 05/06/15 03:05 PM Re: stupidest reporting ever? dumbest employees? HappyGilmore
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
How about goldfish or other fishes in tanks? not the snack (either one)

CAMS

Return to Top
#2012379 - 05/06/15 03:23 PM Re: stupidest reporting ever? dumbest employees? HappyGilmore
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
Fishin' worms?

Return to Top
#2012380 - 05/06/15 03:24 PM Re: stupidest reporting ever? dumbest employees? HappyGilmore
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
Who's out there to advocate for the live bait of the world?

Return to Top
#2012385 - 05/06/15 03:28 PM Re: stupidest reporting ever? dumbest employees? HappyGilmore
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
There are no messages on live bait advocate!!'s profile yet.

http://sdfish.com/forums/m/live-bait-advocate.3582/

CAMS

Return to Top
#2012391 - 05/06/15 03:35 PM Re: stupidest reporting ever? dumbest employees? HappyGilmore
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
WARMS are not cute and cuddly, so people don't care about them.

Same with vegetables, since we can't hear the screams it is ok to kill them for food.

Return to Top
#2012392 - 05/06/15 03:38 PM Re: stupidest reporting ever? dumbest employees? HappyGilmore
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
And cutting of the grass...Oh the horror cry all those tender innocent blades of grass just left on top of the living to dry up in the sun. cry

Not to mention the chemical warfare against the "weeds". Just cause they are not as cute and pretty and store bought perennials and annuals, doesn't mean they don't deserve to live, I mean who are we to judge.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2