Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2017574 - 06/02/15 02:56 PM Vault combinations
startingover Offline
New Poster
Midwest
I am would like to know how often the vault combinations are changed at your Banks.

I have read that at a minimum combinations should be changed every two years. I don't think we have changed ours since we moved into the new bank building 8 years ago.

Return to Top
Audit
#2017582 - 06/02/15 03:10 PM Re: Vault combinations startingover
osucpa Offline
Diamond Poster
A couple of comments. If your bank has a control policy or something similar, does it require vault combinations to be changed? Do you change combinations when vault custody is changed? Do you change combinations during employee turnover?

Return to Top
#2017758 - 06/02/15 08:21 PM Re: Vault combinations startingover
startingover Offline
New Poster
Midwest
The answer is no, no, and no to your questions.

Return to Top
#2017868 - 06/03/15 12:37 PM Re: Vault combinations startingover
osucpa Offline
Diamond Poster
Well, since vault combinations have not been changed it appears there is risk. I would take the approach of recommending changing the combinations based on vault custody and employee turnover. Not over a specific time period.

Return to Top
#2021686 - 06/19/15 08:46 PM Re: Vault combinations startingover
bcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
The bank I am currently at has never changed their vault combinations, and it is not under dual control. Has been presented to management with no real cares to change either.

Return to Top
#2021901 - 06/22/15 06:02 PM Re: Vault combinations startingover
BFrame Offline
Gold Star
BFrame
USA
In my former life at a megabank, there was an annual key/combo change - it was quite wild the day this all took place.
In my current life at a smaller bank, I'm not aware of any combos ever changed. Security, or lack there of, tends to get little attention until "something happens."

Return to Top
#2022030 - 06/22/15 08:58 PM Re: Vault combinations startingover
Sunshine Lady Offline
Platinum Poster
Sunshine Lady
Very true, I too had a former life at a megabank and the combos were changed each time someone who had a combo left the employment of the bank. The biggest turnover was in the teller area, so imagine how painful that was to remember new combos each time. The locksmith was happy to get our call. I am hoping they finally went to the electronic ones that you could change yourself.

Return to Top
#2022047 - 06/22/15 09:32 PM Re: Vault combinations Sunshine Lady
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By Sun Shine Lady
Very true, I too had a former life at a megabank and the combos were changed each time someone who had a combo left the employment of the bank. The biggest turnover was in the teller area, so imagine how painful that was to remember new combos each time. The locksmith was happy to get our call. I am hoping they finally went to the electronic ones that you could change yourself.

Until someone changes it and does not remember what combo he/she changed it to. Real life story from an bank that did not allow it in the first place.

CAMS

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z