Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#2018396 - 06/04/15 03:50 PM Re: Suggestions for eating out this weekend! Pale Rider
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Tilted Kilt is like Hooters with short plaid skirts - or so I've been told.... Most guys probably don't remember if they sell food there or not.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2018426 - 06/04/15 04:46 PM Re: Suggestions for eating out this weekend! HappyGilmore
Hobbes Offline
100 Club
Hobbes
On a sled
Originally Posted By HappyGilmore
every time I've been to NYC and wander through times square, i'm astounded by the line waiting to get into Applebee's...

When my sister first moved to NY, she got a job at the Red Lobster in Times Square. They were constantly slammed, she said it was a lot of foreign tourists who wanted to try "American" seafood. Probably the same thing with Applebees - at least I hope so.

Of course, there are some people who always eat at the chains because they know the food will be the same as at home. Not me, when I'm in a new city I always try to find something local. I've had some of the best meals that way.

Return to Top
#2018436 - 06/04/15 04:55 PM Re: Suggestions for eating out this weekend! Pale Rider
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Best meal I ever had was in the back of a general store in a small town in Colorado. On Friday and Saturday nights, the owner would fire up a grill out back, open a small seating area and serve steak from locally raised beef. There was no menu - it was steak, baked potato, and seasonal vegetables. It was amazing! Thankfully our friends that lived there knew about it or we would have never found it. I try to avoid national chains when we travel.

Return to Top
#2018460 - 06/04/15 05:35 PM Re: Suggestions for eating out this weekend! HappyGilmore
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
every time I've been to NYC and wander through times square, i'm astounded by the line waiting to get into Applebee's...

That's just insane! To be in NYC and eat at crummy Applebee's?!

We had an Applebee's go in next door to a bank branch where I used to work. Everyone wanted to eat lunch there, business ... sociable ... whatever. I went from disliking it to really loathing it in short order. Worst hyped and hokey menu items, all pre-fabed, poorly-prepared, reheated and unappetizing, and served up in a noisy, cluttered dining room. A terrible dining experience that I'm grateful to have left behind.

What's with restaurants playing obnoxiously loud music? The chains all do these days. Is it an ambience expected by today's diners? Or is it only regional, our diners down here all being ill-mannered boors. We had to eat in a Logan's Road House over this past weekend and the loud music combined with all the diners conversing loudly enough to be heard over the clamorous music makes for quite the din. Seems that the deafening din is a fixture of popular chain restaurants. Oh, that and the ever-present flickering TV screens hung in the corners.

Chili's seems to be the worst offender.

Just another reason to not spend money in chain restaurants. A wretched time is guaranteed for all. I never go unless compelled by circumstances.

Return to Top
#2018465 - 06/04/15 05:41 PM Re: Suggestions for eating out this weekend! thomasj
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By thomasj
I really want to try a Black Sabbath Burger if I am ever in Chicago....

::drool:: minus the red onions of course

Return to Top
#2018476 - 06/04/15 06:03 PM Re: Suggestions for eating out this weekend! Pale Rider
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
i'm in Chicago in a couple of weeks...and I will be trying the Sabbath burger...minus the onions...thanks TJ for the heads up

Return to Top
#2018479 - 06/04/15 06:12 PM Re: Suggestions for eating out this weekend! Pale Rider
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
The Sabbath burger (rather the restaurant that makes it) was featured on Diners Drive-Ins and Dives. When I saw that chili going on a burger I was awestruck. Chicago is a short flight for me - maybe a long weekend trip is in order.

Oh, and you guys need to man up and eat the red onions, they are delicious!

Return to Top
#2018484 - 06/04/15 06:24 PM Re: Suggestions for eating out this weekend! HappyGilmore
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
i'm in Chicago in a couple of weeks...and I will be trying the Sabbath burger...minus the onions...thanks TJ for the heads up

Hit up the Purple Pig on North Michigan near the river.

Return to Top
#2018493 - 06/04/15 06:39 PM Re: Suggestions for eating out this weekend! noelekal
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Originally Posted By noelekal

We had an Applebee's go in next door to a bank branch where I used to work. Everyone wanted to eat lunch there, business ... sociable ... whatever. I went from disliking it to really loathing it in short order. Worst hyped and hokey menu items, all pre-fabed, poorly-prepared, reheated and unappetizing, and served up in a noisy, cluttered dining room. A terrible dining experience that I'm grateful to have left behind.

What's with restaurants playing obnoxiously loud music? The chains all do these days. Is it an ambience expected by today's diners? Or is it only regional, our diners down here all being ill-mannered boors. We had to eat in a Logan's Road House over this past weekend and the loud music combined with all the diners conversing loudly enough to be heard over the clamorous music makes for quite the din. Seems that the deafening din is a fixture of popular chain restaurants. Oh, that and the ever-present flickering TV screens hung in the corners.

Just another reason to not spend money in chain restaurants. A wretched time is guaranteed for all. I never go unless compelled by circumstances.

Who are you, Pale's older brother whistle

Must be a regional thing. The Applebees, Chili's, TGI Fridays, Max & Erma's Cheddars, PF Chang, Macaroni Grille, O"Charley's Texas Road House, Quaker Steak and Lube, Red Robin etc are all awesome here. Haven't had a bad meal at any of them.

Then the local joints are great also.

Return to Top
#2018501 - 06/04/15 07:05 PM Re: Suggestions for eating out this weekend! Pale Rider
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
YUM - PF Changs.

Return to Top
#2018503 - 06/04/15 07:07 PM Re: Suggestions for eating out this weekend! DD Regs
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By DD Regs
Texas Road House, Red Robin

Texas Road House for the cinnamon butter rolls and country fried chicken = awesome

Red Robin for the fried egg topped burger = awesome

Return to Top
#2018504 - 06/04/15 07:11 PM Re: Suggestions for eating out this weekend! thomasj
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Chicago is a short flight for me - maybe a long weekend trip is in order.

I may just take the train down to get one.......minus onions of course.

Return to Top
#2018506 - 06/04/15 07:15 PM Re: Suggestions for eating out this weekend! thomasj
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...

i'm man enough without eating the onions...i'm fearful if I eat them that the world will be unable to cope with the additional manliness...although it may cure my "drive-thru ma'am" issues...

Return to Top
#2018510 - 06/04/15 07:22 PM Re: Suggestions for eating out this weekend! DD Regs
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
Originally Posted By DD Regs

Who are you, Pale's older brother whistle

Must be a regional thing. The Applebees, Chili's, TGI Fridays, Max & Erma's Cheddars, PF Chang, Macaroni Grille, O"Charley's Texas Road House, Quaker Steak and Lube, Red Robin etc are all awesome here. Haven't had a bad meal at any of them.

Then the local joints are great also.

Hah! I could do worse than have Pale for a younger brother ... if it's possible for Pale to be considered younger than anything.

Advancing age and compliance'll do that to a fellow.
Last edited by noelekal; 06/04/15 07:22 PM.

Return to Top
#2018527 - 06/04/15 08:08 PM Re: Suggestions for eating out this weekend! Pale Rider
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
Somebody's got to eat at all the chains, it keeps the crowds manageable at the local spots.

Return to Top
#2018533 - 06/04/15 08:35 PM Re: Suggestions for eating out this weekend! Pale Rider
Wolfy Offline
Wolfy
Mid West
Growing up my papa always took us to the "greasy spoon" when we went on family road trips. I loved it but my 2 brothers always wanted McDonald's. Then I got married and wife never wanted to "risk it" so we ate a lot of boring food.

Return to Top
#2018538 - 06/04/15 08:42 PM Re: Suggestions for eating out this weekend! Pale Rider
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
We were abusive parents. We never took our kids to McDonalds, managing to brainwash them against it. I've not been in a McDonald's since ... well, since before my 33-year-old eldest son was born.

Return to Top
#2018541 - 06/04/15 08:45 PM Re: Suggestions for eating out this weekend! Pale Rider
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here

CAMS

Return to Top
#2018542 - 06/04/15 08:45 PM Re: Suggestions for eating out this weekend! noelekal
Hoosierland Offline
Platinum Poster
What's with restaurants playing obnoxiously loud music? The chains all do these days.

My theory is they play the music so loud in order to get you not to linger at the table. . .I'm sure they want to turn those tables over as quickly as they possibly can.

I'm with you, we only go to chain restaurants when compelled by circumstances to do so. One of the real joys of travel for my family is trying local restaurants.

Return to Top
#2018559 - 06/04/15 09:26 PM Re: Suggestions for eating out this weekend! Pale Rider
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
For the longest time we had our kids screaming for BOB EVANS! when we were on road trips. They really never have had a taste for McDs. Thank Goodness!

Return to Top
#2018570 - 06/04/15 09:41 PM Re: Suggestions for eating out this weekend! Pale Rider
Wolfy Offline
Wolfy
Mid West
I do like a ice cold Coke from MickyDs but I try to get food from elsewhere.

Return to Top
#2018613 - 06/05/15 12:45 PM Re: Suggestions for eating out this weekend! thomasj
Bankster Offline
Diamond Poster
Yinzerville, PA
Tilted Kilt is like Hooters with short plaid skirts - or so I've been told.... Most guys probably don't remember if they sell food there or not.

The Tilted Kilt is our regular stop when we go to Pittsburgh for games. I've had the food, but I can't really remember if it was good or not, now that you mention it.

Return to Top
#2018620 - 06/05/15 01:01 PM Re: Suggestions for eating out this weekend! Pale Rider
Hobbes Offline
100 Club
Hobbes
On a sled
I think I always get disappointed when a local restaurant I've eaten at becomes big enough to franchise. I grew up near the original Quaker Steak and Lube in Sharon, PA, which was voted best wings in the country a bunch of times. Went to one of the franchises here in SC, and blah, not the same.

Same thing with Chuy's in Austin. Great Tex-Mex, great atmosphere. Went to one in Charlotte, and the food was OK, but just not the same.

Return to Top
#2018632 - 06/05/15 01:29 PM Re: Suggestions for eating out this weekend! Pale Rider
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
On one vacation out west with Mom and Dad, back in the 60s, we stopped at an A&W Root Beer Drive in every day. I think Dad must have mapped out the vacation based on where the A&W's were. Eating in the dusty car, frosty mugs of root beer and Papa burgers and Mama Burgers.

Return to Top
#2018633 - 06/05/15 01:32 PM Re: Suggestions for eating out this weekend! Pale Rider
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Yeah, we still A&Ws, but they are not drive ups like they used to be, now they are in gas stations like a Subway. Not nearly as good as it used to be.

We also used to have a B&K (not burger king) that was like A&W, frosty mug root beer you could buy by the gallon and take home.

Served "Spanish Dogs" and the best onion rings. They flame broiled their food before flame broiling was cool.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4