BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#2018874 - 06/06/15 02:05 PM Wisconsin Getaway
ahkcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Ok Wisconsin friends...we are planning a little family getaway to Racine, WI. Just curious on everyone's thoughts on the place. It looks like they have a nice beach front and zoo. We will be taking our 23 month old and want to be sure it is kid friendly. We are looking at 3-4 days probably.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2018894 - 06/08/15 11:39 AM Re: Wisconsin Getaway ahkcompliance
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Where in the upper midwest can you go in the water and not freeze?

Return to Top
#2018934 - 06/08/15 01:55 PM Re: Wisconsin Getaway ahkcompliance
DoS Offline
Gold Star
DoS
one state over
lake temps in MN should be in the mid 60's ... perfect for keeping the riff raff out.

I'm on the other side of the state ... so I can't be of too much help, but I'm sure the cheese and beer is good over there too.

"Strip the Flesh, Salt the Wound" - Krieg

Return to Top
#2018947 - 06/08/15 02:14 PM Re: Wisconsin Getaway ahkcompliance
ahkcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
We are looking at going in mid July.

Return to Top
#2018961 - 06/08/15 02:46 PM Re: Wisconsin Getaway ahkcompliance
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
You can make new acquaintances by wearing a Seahawks jersey. Also, Wisconsin has mosquitos the size of hummingbirds, so bring your Off or other bug spray.

Return to Top
#2018964 - 06/08/15 02:48 PM Re: Wisconsin Getaway ahkcompliance
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
Mid-60s ought to be fairly bracing. The lakes around here will be like bath water by comparison.

Return to Top
#2018965 - 06/08/15 02:51 PM Re: Wisconsin Getaway ahkcompliance
Peepers Offline
10K Club
I'm not sure I can think of things to do for three days in Racine. But then I don't spend that much time there to really know for sure.

If you're going there, go 20 minutes north to Milwaukee and visit the Discovery World Museum on the lake front, Betty Brinn museum just down the road (a 23 month old should love that), the Milw. Co. zoo (much nicer than the Racine zoo).

Or go even farther North and West to the WI Dells. Waterparks, duck rides, theme parks, etc.

Return to Top
#2018966 - 06/08/15 02:51 PM Re: Wisconsin Getaway ahkcompliance
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Ditto what Peepers said. The zoo is kinda cute there, but not sure Racine in general can satisfy you for 3-4 days.

I'd also look at staying on the north side of Milwaukee county: Port Washington, Cedarburg and such...about a half hour drive down into Milwaukee to the attractions Peepers noted, but more family friendly, cuter, safer.

Where are you coming from?

Return to Top
#2018969 - 06/08/15 02:56 PM Re: Wisconsin Getaway ahkcompliance
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here

CAMS

Return to Top
#2018976 - 06/08/15 03:10 PM Re: Wisconsin Getaway ahkcompliance
ahkcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
We will be coming from Iowa.

Is Racine a safe town? Can you suggest a town in between Milwaukee and Racine so it would be easy to travel between. Maybe a day in Racine at the beach and then a day or two in Milwaukee doing the things Peppers said.

Return to Top
#2018983 - 06/08/15 03:27 PM Re: Wisconsin Getaway ahkcompliance
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Between the two, not really.

I mean, yeah, Racine is as safe as anyplace, but like any bigger city, it has its rough spots as well. I am not overly familiar with the city either, so really cannot offer the best areas to stay and play there.

Have you considered Madison? Nice little zoo as well, nice beaches, lots of summer activity, family friendly... if you are there over a weekend, you would all love the farmers market on the square. And a shorter drive too!

Return to Top
#2018987 - 06/08/15 03:31 PM Re: Wisconsin Getaway ahkcompliance
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By ahkcompliance
Ok Wisconsin friends...we are planning a little family getaway to Racine, WI. Just curious on everyone's thoughts on the place. It looks like they have a nice beach front and zoo. We will be taking our 23 month old and want to be sure it is kid friendly. We are looking at 3-4 days probably.

Since you have a 23 month old I would suggest Milwaukee I am told they have a lot of beer over there. laugh

CAMS

Return to Top
#2019000 - 06/08/15 04:01 PM Re: Wisconsin Getaway ahkcompliance
Wolfy Offline
Wolfy
Mid West
I have swam in lake Superior when the water is in the low 80's and when it is in the high 50's. Both where fun but one was more fun that the other. wink

Lake Michigan is not quite as clean but it is normally warmer. (The closer to Chicago you get the less clean it becomes) I have lived in WI most my life and I have not visited Racine for anything more than to drive through it. Milwaukee is a lot of fun and it is nothing like Chicago as far as being unsafe. (I lived in the Chicago burbs for 7 years before I moved back to WI) Though like others have noted it is a bigger city.

Return to Top
#2019004 - 06/08/15 04:07 PM Re: Wisconsin Getaway ahkcompliance
ahkcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
We only heard of Racine because of an ad we heard and it was about North Beach. We thought it would be fun since our little one loves water. We wanted to wait a little longer before going to the Dells so she would be older.

Does Milwaukee offer any beaches?

Return to Top
#2019007 - 06/08/15 04:11 PM Re: Wisconsin Getaway ahkcompliance
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here

CAMS

Return to Top
#2019008 - 06/08/15 04:12 PM Re: Wisconsin Getaway ahkcompliance
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
How about Lake Geneva? I haven't been there in decades, but it used to be beautiful and popular resort area, and it should be only about an hour from Milwaukee.

Return to Top
#2019014 - 06/08/15 04:25 PM Re: Wisconsin Getaway MyBrainHurts
Peepers Offline
10K Club
In my opinion, I would avoid the Lake Michigan beaches.

The inland lakes are much nicer. Brain mentions a good one, Lake Geneva. I haven't been there in a while but I think there are little shops to go to as well. Staying there with beach access may work.

From there it's about a 45 minute drive to Milwaukee. Make a day trip or two to Milwaukee for the other stuff I mentioned.

Return to Top
#2019019 - 06/08/15 04:37 PM Re: Wisconsin Getaway ahkcompliance
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
^^^Agreed. Delavan lake in Delevan near Lake Geneva is very nice as well. And the Madison lakes and beaches too.

Return to Top
#2019022 - 06/08/15 04:43 PM Re: Wisconsin Getaway ahkcompliance
Wolfy Offline
Wolfy
Mid West
In some ways inland beaches are nicer, but they are not on the big water that makes a kids eyes big as saucers. If this is for the kids I would stay with the big water as that is more of an event than going to a inland lake that will be very much like the lakes you have in Iowa.

I am not a big fan of tourist traps like Lake Geneva myself but if you do not mind spending the extra money it is a very beautiful trap. One of our locations in in Williams Bay, right near there.

Return to Top
#2019031 - 06/08/15 05:05 PM Re: Wisconsin Getaway Wolfy
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Smaller but cozy and not too far from Milwaukee:

Oconomowoc

Pewaukee

You could stay at Country Springs Hotel that has an indoor waterpark and drive a bit west to the above beaches.

Bigger and about twice the distance from Milwaukee:

Lake Geneva

They have a hotel with an indoor waterpark here too.

Madison area beaches:

Madison

Return to Top
#2019032 - 06/08/15 05:08 PM Re: Wisconsin Getaway Wolfy
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By Wolfy
I would stay with the big water as that is more of an event than going to a inland lake

the raw sewage is a nice touch too

Return to Top
#2019038 - 06/08/15 05:23 PM Re: Wisconsin Getaway ahkcompliance
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
My son-in-law's Iowa family was here over the weekend and raved about Madison...again. I lived in Kenosha, right next door to Racine, and have not been back since I moved to Madison. I can't think of three-four days worth of stuff to do there as an adult, let alone with a small child.

Madison has beaches; a great little zoo; a fabulous Children's Museum with all new exhibits; the Farmer's Market and is so much closer than Racine. You might want to check out the Moms in Madison blog too for more ideas.

Return to Top
#2019053 - 06/08/15 05:45 PM Re: Wisconsin Getaway ahkcompliance
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
I have been to Madison, I agree it is nice...although didn't have much opportunity for tourism

Return to Top
#2019064 - 06/08/15 06:05 PM Re: Wisconsin Getaway ahkcompliance
ahkcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
How is the Milwaukee Zoo? Lake Geneva looks nice so maybe we could do a day trip to Milwaukee zoo.

Return to Top
#2019083 - 06/08/15 06:27 PM Re: Wisconsin Getaway ahkcompliance
Wolfy Offline
Wolfy
Mid West
Milwaukee Zoo is fun, last time I was there it is about 5 times or more larger than the Madison area one. But the Madcity zoo is free. I lived in Madison for about 3 years and personally I can not think of a reason an out of state tourist would want to go there vs Milwaukee or Chicago. (the capital building is awesome for WI kids and adults, not sure how exciting that would be for people from another state)
However it is one of the worst planned cities in the US, mix that with the lakes and even with the low population they still manage to create traffic issues.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3