Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1975398 - 11/07/14 11:32 PM Origination Charges
Bville Offline
Diamond Poster
Bville
Out West
I need to make sure, I'm understanding some changes to how fees are treated on the new forms.

Under the new rule, Origination Charges are only fees paid to the creditor/loan originator. This no longer includes items such as 4506-T, attorney for the bank, automated underwriting fee, MERS fee, rate lock, Overnight Delivery/Courier. These now move to the section "Services You Cannot Shop For"

Return to Top
TRID - TILA/RESPA Integrated Disclosures Rule
#1989483 - 01/16/15 09:43 PM Re: Origination Charges Bville
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Late to the party, but this post got me wondering.......are "origination charges" now strictly a fee labelled "origination fee" or the equivalent, or (for my bank) would coupon book and doc fees also be included (as they are currently under RESPA)?

Return to Top
#1989485 - 01/16/15 09:45 PM Re: Origination Charges Bville
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
(Now that i re-read my question, i doubt this has changed...but would still appreciate any input. Thanks.)

Return to Top
#1989587 - 01/20/15 02:08 PM Re: Origination Charges raitchjay
Jerod Moyer Offline
Platinum Poster
Jerod Moyer
Sioux Falls, SD
The OSC to 37(f)(1) seems to address itemization of origination charges and what should be itemized while also giving the appearance that the creditor has some flexibility in itemization beyond the examples provided.

5. Itemization. Creditors determine the level of itemization of “Origination Charges” that is appropriate under § 1026.37(f)(1) in relation to charges paid by the consumer to the creditor, subject to the limitations in § 1026.37(f)(1)(ii). For example, the following charges should be itemized separately: compensation paid directly by a consumer to a loan originator that is not also the creditor; or a charge imposed to pay for a loan level pricing adjustment assessed on the creditor, which the creditor passes onto the consumer as a charge at consummation and not as an adjustment to the interest rate.

Return to Top
#1989594 - 01/20/15 02:39 PM Re: Origination Charges Bville
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Thanks Jerod...i appreciate the info.

Return to Top
#2019949 - 06/11/15 07:12 PM Re: Origination Charges Bville
BankRegGuy Offline
Going Back to Bville's OP, i am reviewing our investor fees for correspondent loans.

"[origination] no longer includes items such as 4506-T, ... automated underwriting fee, [investor underwriting fee], MERS fee, rate lock, Overnight Delivery/Courier. These now move to the section "Services You Cannot Shop For""

Are those fees moving to even if they are "eaten" by the bank as some sort of that Oct 1 teleconfrence's "absorbed" overhead fees?

or is it simply our option to itemize?

Return to Top
#2029772 - 07/24/15 10:13 PM Re: Origination Charges Bville
AnotherDayinParadise Offline
100 Club
NE
The commentary to 1026.37(f)(1) above regarding itemization states "In relation to charges paid by the consumer to the creditor...".

According to 1026.19(e)(3)(i)-3 "Paid to" means paid to the creditor and retained by the creditor. Fees for the 4506-T, investor underwriting fee, automated underwriting fee, MERS fee, courier fee, etc. are generally not paid to or retained by the creditor as they are pass-through fees to third parties.

I think we can itemize any origination charges that are paid to the bank as we choose (other than a broker fee or LLPAs that the consumer must pay for which must be itemized in Section A), but the third-party fees should be itemized in Section B "Services You Cannot Shop For".

Jerod, am I interpreting this incorrectly?
Last edited by CCH; 07/24/15 10:14 PM.
Return to Top
#2029779 - 07/25/15 11:25 AM Re: Origination Charges Bville
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I'm not Jerod, but I would concur.

Return to Top
#2029808 - 07/27/15 01:43 PM Re: Origination Charges Bville
Jerod Moyer Offline
Platinum Poster
Jerod Moyer
Sioux Falls, SD
Agreed.

Return to Top
#2031438 - 08/03/15 09:29 PM Re: Origination Charges Bville
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
I have another dumb question. We charge a loan fee that is a percentage of the loan amount. All the money goes to us. Do I have to disclose the percentage? It seems like the percentage is only required when points are involved but why do they have a spot for a percentage for loan amount then?

Return to Top
#2031474 - 08/04/15 01:44 PM Re: Origination Charges Bville
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
If you base a fee on a percentage, it is 'points' and can be a tax deduction. If it's a $ based fee, it's not 'points' or 'deductible'. I've seen attorneys attempt to break down a $ based fee to a fraction of a percent and I have them change that based on (IRS) definitions.

From the IRS:

The term “points” is used to describe certain charges paid, or treated as paid, by a borrower to obtain a home mortgage. Points may also be called loan origination fees, maximum loan charges, loan discount, or discount points.

[one of the requirements for deductibility]
8.The points were computed as a percentage of the principal amount of the mortgage.
Last edited by RR Joker; 08/04/15 01:45 PM. Reason: added [ ]

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2032406 - 08/07/15 05:26 PM Re: Origination Charges RR Joker
DDWR Offline
New Poster
Originally Posted By RR Joker
If you base a fee on a percentage, it is 'points' and can be a tax deduction. If it's a $ based fee, it's not 'points' or 'deductible'. I've seen attorneys attempt to break down a $ based fee to a fraction of a percent and I have them change that based on (IRS) definitions.

From the IRS:

The term “points” is used to describe certain charges paid, or treated as paid, by a borrower to obtain a home mortgage. Points may also be called loan origination fees, maximum loan charges, loan discount, or discount points.

[one of the requirements for deductibility]
8.The points were computed as a percentage of the principal amount of the mortgage.

But under the TRID rule, CFPB says that only points charged in connection with a reduction in the interest rate may be disclosed as points on the form.

Based on that, if a lender charges an origination fee, it can be disclosed as a percentage of the loan amount but cannot be called a "point." (And if it's used to reduce the rate, it must be disclosed simply as "point(s)" not "origination point/fee" as we often see it on the HUD today).

From the one of the CFPB webinars last fall:

Origination Charges (1026.37(f))
If a creditor charges an origination fee that is a percentage of the loan amount, but it is not a “point paid to the creditor to reduce the interest rate,” may the creditor identify it as a point in some way to preserve its tax deductibility for the consumer? (1026.37(f)(1))

No. It could not. Section 1026.37(f)(1)(i) is clear that only points charged in connection with a reduction in the interest rate may be disclosed as points on the form. If there are no points charged to reduce the interest rate, the creditor leaves this row blank. The answer also relies on comment 37(f)(1)-3, which, for charges other than the points paid to reduce the interest rate, requires clear and conspicuous terminology that describes the service. The answer also relies on comment 37(f)(1)-4, which states that the creditor should leave the points line blank if there are no points paid to reduce the interest rate.

1. OFFICIAL INTERPRETATION TO 37(F)(1)
37(F)(1) ORIGINATION CHARGES.
1. 1.1. ORIGINATION CHARGES. Charges included under the subheading “Origination Charges” pursuant to § 1026.37(f)(1) are those charges paid by the consumer to each creditor and loan originator for originating and extending the credit, regardless of how such fees are denominated. In accordance with § 1026.37(o)(4), the dollar amounts disclosed under § 1026.37(f)(1) must be rounded to the nearest whole dollar and the percentage amounts must be disclosed as an exact number up to two or three decimal places, except that decimal places shall not be disclosed if the percentage is a whole number. See comment 19(e)(3)(i)-3 for a discussion of when a fee is considered to be “paid to” a person. See § 1026.36(a) and associated commentary for a discussion of the meaning of “loan originator” in connection with limits on compensation in a consumer credit transaction secured by a dwelling.

1. DESCRIPTION OF CHARGES. Other than for points charged in connection with the transaction to reduce the interest rate, for which specific language must be used, the creditor may use a general label that uses terminology that, under § 1026.37(f)(5), is consistent with § 1026.17(a)(1), clearly and conspicuously describes the service that is disclosed as an origination charge pursuant to § 1026.37(f)(1). Items that are listed under the subheading “Origination Charges” may include, for example, application fee, origination fee, underwriting fee, processing fee, verification fee, and rate-lock fee.

Return to Top
#2048331 - 11/05/15 08:17 PM Re: Origination Charges Bville
ComplianceRegs Offline
100 Club
It is clear from this that if you have an origination fee that is a percentage of the loan amount but does not reduce the interest rate then you would be required to use the general label. My question is how would this be shown? For example, if an origination fee is 1% of the loan amount and the loan amount is $100,000.

Should it be shown as:

1. Origination Fee (%) $1,000

or

2. Origination Fee ($) $1,000

Return to Top
#2048332 - 11/05/15 08:23 PM Re: Origination Charges Bville
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
It would appear that it should be done like #2.

Return to Top
#2048342 - 11/05/15 08:45 PM Re: Origination Charges Bville
ComplianceRegs Offline
100 Club
Even if it is a percentage? Just questioning this since the LOS provider offers both options....$ or %. I agree that it shouldn't go under the "% of Loan Amount (Points)" section as I mentioned above.

I haven't been able to find anything in the reg, commentary, or preamble on this specific issue. All I know is that the vendor offers a choice to show it either way. The CFPB examples are no help on this topic since they show a percentage to reduce interest rate.

Return to Top
#2048346 - 11/05/15 08:52 PM Re: Origination Charges Bville
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I started to answer based on IRS rules (you can only deduct 'points' charged as a %). BUT, I'm not completely clear on whether their definition of 'points' is also geared towards the reduction of the rate...if so, then it wouldn't seem you could deduct a fee for the origination that was not related to the interest rate. So then, my thinking went to what makes it clear as to tax deductibility and that lead me to my answer above.

To be honest, I'm just not sure but I can't help but feel like the two distinctions are related.

Return to Top
#2048355 - 11/05/15 09:08 PM Re: Origination Charges Bville
ComplianceRegs Offline
100 Club
Maybe the vendor knows something that I don't and it may be acceptable to show it either way. I am wondering if this is possibly one of those instances were they had discussions with the CFPB that others in the industry did not have.

1. Origination Fee (%) $1,000

or

2. Origination Fee ($) $1,000

The CFPB definitely didn't help clear anything up with the examples. If you look at model form H-24(D) refinance sample you can see they show an origination fee simply as [Origination Fee $450). No $ or % sign in brackets parentheses like we have generating in our LOS.

Return to Top