Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2020029 - 06/12/15 12:15 PM Reg CC exception hold reason and date of deposit
fslic banker Offline
100 Club

Two issues that my brain is trying to grasp early this morning. First, Bank A redeposits all checks which are returned as NSF and rather than choose the reason for "Redeposited checks" the bank's hold notice indicates "we have information that indicates the check will not be paid" (essentially reasonable cause to doubt collectibility). Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things but wouldn't reference to the "redeposit due to NSF" be preferred by examiners?

Also, the bank holds checks for exception based reasons until the 7th business day "after the day of deposit". I had always thought the "date of deposit" on a check redeposited for NSF was the date the check was run back through (redeposited) by the bank but the bank's take on this is that the 7-day hold period for redeposited check should begin on the date the check was "originally" deposited versus the date redeposited. Thoughts?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#2020032 - 06/12/15 12:30 PM Re: Reg CC exception hold reason and date of deposit fslic banker
fslic banker Offline
100 Club
Sorry, but I have one last follow-up question. The bank doesn't need a specific reason for a case-by-case hold but do most banks note "case-by-case" on at least their internal records or their copy of the hold notice provided to the consumers. I'm asking because I have hold notices which seem to fall into an exception category (Large Deposit over $5,000) but the but the field for hold reason is left blank. I'm not unsure whether the teller was invoking a case-by-case hold which wouldn't have required a hold reason or simply forgot to indicate the Large Deposit exception reason since the bank's hold schedule for case-by-case and exception holds are the same.

Return to Top
#2020044 - 06/12/15 01:51 PM Re: Reg CC exception hold reason and date of deposit fslic banker
BFrame Offline
Gold Star
BFrame
USA
Well, regarding post 1 - Question 1 - I believe that calling it "Redeposited Item" is the more descriptive/accurate indication of what happened & why the hold is being placed. I'm not an examiner - perhaps someone disagrees.

Post 1 - Question 2 - hold from the date the item was redeposited.

Post 2 - I require that all hold notices be clear and correct. If I am confused by a hold notice, I assume the examiner will be confused as well. Personally, I don't like to confuse my examiners. smile On our case-by-case holds and notices, we indicate "case-by-case".

Return to Top
#2020112 - 06/12/15 03:52 PM Re: Reg CC exception hold reason and date of deposit fslic banker
fslic banker Offline
100 Club
Many thanks It's OK.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett