Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2021834 - 06/22/15 04:09 PM ATM Safety/Lighting Inspections in Texas
estrar Offline
New Poster
Does anyone have any insight on ATM Safety/Lighting Inspections in Texas. Needing to determine if these are required to be performed every year or if they can be done every other year? Could not find the answer in the Texas Finance code.

Return to Top
Security - PUBLIC
#2021902 - 06/22/15 06:06 PM Re: ATM Safety/Lighting Inspections in Texas estrar
osucpa Offline
Diamond Poster
It could be part of your Bank's Security Policy/Procedures

Return to Top
#2021925 - 06/22/15 06:34 PM Re: ATM Safety/Lighting Inspections in Texas estrar
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
It is a risk decision. If someone gets whacked at your ATM and you have a lighting problem and have not looked at this in 20 months - good luck in court.

Return to Top
#2021980 - 06/22/15 07:53 PM Re: ATM Safety/Lighting Inspections in Texas estrar
estrar Offline
New Poster
Thank you for the replies. It definitely seems to fall under the risk decision category. Thank you!

Return to Top
#2023910 - 06/29/15 09:20 PM Re: ATM Safety/Lighting Inspections in Texas estrar
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Recommend you look at TFC 59.301 & 59.308 for the obligations but the timing is a risk issue as best I read it. "Annual" may be a standard that would be reasonable to a court but certainly other factors could be considered.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/FI/htm/FI.59.htm#D
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#2023913 - 06/29/15 09:23 PM Re: ATM Safety/Lighting Inspections in Texas estrar
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
It is a state by state issue and I haven't needed to look at this in years. Verify it's all still current. Here is more so you can see it certainly reaches outside of Texas (since this isn't a Texas only forum).

http://www.bankersonline.com/security/gurus_sec090203e.html
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#2024769 - 07/02/15 04:56 PM Re: ATM Safety/Lighting Inspections in Texas estrar
Damon hood Offline
New Poster
Estrar,

My institution is based out of Texas. The law does not mention anything having to do with a frequency of testing or auditing the Safety/lights at your ATM's. This is all based upon acceptable risk. How much Risk is your institution willing to accept. So if your policy stated annual inspections than you must perform them and be willing to support in court if need be why your annual inspections are acceptable. However if your acceptable risk is against the industry standard you may loose on the grounds of failure to put in place a policy that is industry standard.

As Andy Z pointed the industry standard would be annual inspections. Keep this in mind however vegetation grows and lights fade the moment they are installed and turned on. So if you are only inspecting once a year, this only means that once a year you are compliant with the laws intensions. We have an annual inspection / documentation policy coupled with monthly checks looking for overgrown vegetation and lights out. This helps ensure we are compliant year round.

Return to Top
#2025905 - 07/08/15 03:40 PM Re: ATM Safety/Lighting Inspections in Texas estrar
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
Yea estrar and BOL!

I was about to create a thread on this topic when my eyes fell on the title of this thread which provides needed research material.

Return to Top
#2027751 - 07/16/15 11:08 PM Re: ATM Safety/Lighting Inspections in Texas estrar
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
We use the annual inspections as a baseline to remind the locations of their responsibilities in maintaining the property and lighting.

And the initial audit is helpful to determine if the electrician meant our requirements....

Return to Top
#2044498 - 10/15/15 06:46 PM Re: ATM Safety/Lighting Inspections in Texas estrar
McGruff Offline
Gold Star
McGruff
Texas
We only have 4 ATMs, so I have an electrician replace all bulbs at each ATM every six months and do a candlefoot test. I do a crime review annually for each ATM location. In between times, I monitor for burned out or vandalized bulbs. Problem-free since '93....

Return to Top
#2044568 - 10/15/15 09:05 PM Re: ATM Safety/Lighting Inspections in Texas estrar
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
What happened in 93?

Return to Top
#2044576 - 10/15/15 09:26 PM Re: ATM Safety/Lighting Inspections in Texas estrar
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I believe that is when the law passed requiring banks to check the lighting.

Return to Top
#2044694 - 10/16/15 05:19 PM Re: ATM Safety/Lighting Inspections in Texas estrar
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
I was still in Jr High

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z