Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2022576 - 06/24/15 03:44 PM Branch Capture and Item Processing Policy
auditor42 Offline
Does anyone have a Branch Capture and Item Processing Policy they would be willing to share? This is something we recently implemented.

Return to Top
Audit
#2022585 - 06/24/15 03:52 PM Re: Branch Capture and Item Processing Policy auditor42
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
This is something we recently implemented.

Hmmm. Isn't that putting the cart before the horse. How in the world did you go through the business planning process without developing written policies and procedures to ensure that the change even made economic sense to the bank?

Some people need to go back to business school.

Return to Top
#2022590 - 06/24/15 03:57 PM Re: Branch Capture and Item Processing Policy auditor42
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
::attempting to actually be helpful to fellow posters and not just snarky::

I don't have a policy, but I might be able to get my hands on some procedures however I'm sure they are very system specific. Send me a PM and we can chat!

Return to Top
#2022606 - 06/24/15 04:17 PM Re: Branch Capture and Item Processing Policy auditor42
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By auditor42
Does anyone have a Branch Capture and Item Processing Policy they would be willing to share? This is something we recently implemented.

We do not have these at my current bank but at a prior procedure relied heavily on the documentation provided by the vendor with branch specific information entered into strategic locations. (not much on the Policy sided)
Last edited by edAudit; 06/24/15 04:21 PM.

CAMS

Return to Top
#2022609 - 06/24/15 04:19 PM Re: Branch Capture and Item Processing Policy auditor42
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Well it points to a systemic breakdown in their business management process. All I was doing was pointing that out so that the auditor in question, instead of trying to bail out management by findings policies and procedures for them, should instead be writing them up for failure to follow sound business practices.

I agree - not sure why you need a policy, but procedures are very important.

Return to Top
#2022638 - 06/24/15 04:47 PM Re: Branch Capture and Item Processing Policy auditor42
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
I completely concur with that logic, but have been in the auditors shoes where writing management up all day long wont do much good for me or the process owner and the best thing I can do to help is reach out to peers for the necessary documentation.

Return to Top
#2022644 - 06/24/15 04:51 PM Re: Branch Capture and Item Processing Policy RR Jen
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By RR Jen
I completely concur with that logic, but have been in the auditors shoes where writing management up all day long wont do much good for me or the process owner and the best thing I can do to help is reach out to peers for the necessary documentation.

It would give you the opportunity for a repeat next year when the written process is substandard and when the regulators see it as a repeat give you the auditor the added benefit of more work and aggravation. smirk

CAMS

Return to Top
#2022658 - 06/24/15 05:06 PM Re: Branch Capture and Item Processing Policy rlcarey
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Originally Posted By rlcarey
All I was doing was pointing that out so that the auditor in question, instead of trying to bail out management by findings policies and procedures for them, should instead be writing them up for failure to follow sound business practices.

I wouldn't be so quick to call this a failure to follow sound business practices. There is nothing in the original post that suggests management failed to consider different methodologies, vendors, etc. before making a change to their item processing system.

To the original question- I agree with other posters that suggest a policy isn't really needed. Your branches and support departments probably already have procedures for the new system, much of which would have likely been supplied by the vendor.

Return to Top
#2022678 - 06/24/15 05:19 PM Re: Branch Capture and Item Processing Policy edAudit
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Originally Posted By edAudit
Originally Posted By RR Jen

It would give you the opportunity for a repeat next year when the written process is substandard and when the regulators see it as a repeat give you the auditor the added benefit of more work and aggravation. smirk

While I greatly value job security, I just couldn't do it. laugh

Return to Top
#2022690 - 06/24/15 05:29 PM Re: Branch Capture and Item Processing Policy auditor42
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
"There is nothing in the original post that suggests management failed to consider different methodologies, vendors, etc. before making a change to their item processing system."

So you are saying that implementing a major change in process without consideration to providing appropriate written instructions to the people that will be involved in the process is not a failure to follow sound business practices? You must live in a different business world than I grew up in. There are a number of key internal controls required when moving to branch capture. I would hate to think that a bank left these key internal controls to a one time verbal instruction from the vendor who was installing the equipment.

There is only one real reason such a request is made by the OP, that is they have identified a weakness. Well, the underlying cause and fix to the this weakness is not going out and getting procedures after the fact for this occurrence. The fix is to identify the breakdown in the change management process to make sure it never happens again.

Return to Top
#2022758 - 06/24/15 06:28 PM Re: Branch Capture and Item Processing Policy rlcarey
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Originally Posted By rlcarey
"There is nothing in the original post that suggests management failed to consider different methodologies, vendors, etc. before making a change to their item processing system."

So you are saying that implementing a major change in process without consideration to providing appropriate written instructions to the people that will be involved in the process is not a failure to follow sound business practices?

It's actually not what I'm saying, though I may have misunderstood your earlier post when I responded. Nevertheless, the original poster was looking for a policy. there is no suggestion that procedures/instructions are absent.

Return to Top
#2022875 - 06/24/15 09:16 PM Re: Branch Capture and Item Processing Policy auditor42
auditor42 Offline
The reason I was looking for a policy is because it was suggested by our external auditors that we have one. Yes, I am sure there are procedures/instructions from the vendor but I don't believe that is what they are looking for. I was just trying to help because what we have does not include everything they are wanting to see. As an auditor I don't enjoy just writing things up for the fun of it or to be able to say hey look...I found something. If there is anything I can give them any suggestions to help solve a problem I will. No wonder auditors have such a bad rap with people.

Return to Top
#2022896 - 06/24/15 09:49 PM Re: Branch Capture and Item Processing Policy auditor42
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
If there is anything I can give them any suggestions to help solve a problem I will.

The suggestion that I would give your external auditors is to have them show you a shred of evidence that such a policy is required in the first place.

Sounds like your external auditors are making "make work" for your bank. You are trying to solve a problem that does not exist.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z