Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2022995 - 06/25/15 02:43 PM IRS Summons-Authorized Signer on Account
Likes to Comply Offline
Diamond Poster
In the mountains
When receiving an IRS summons for copies of deposit items, bank statements, and cancelled checks for a individual, should accounts for which they are authorized signers be included in the response?

I'm thinking no since they are not an owner on the account. The instructions say that we are summoned...to produce for examination the following books, records...relating to the tax liability or the purpose of inquiring into any offense connected with the administration or enforcement of the internal revenue laws concerning the person identified above for the periods shown.

However, we are aware that the person is an authorized signer on the account instead of an owner to try to avoid a levy (BSA Personnel are aware of the matter). Does knowing this information make us responsible for providing the account information for which they are only signing?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#2022997 - 06/25/15 02:45 PM Re: IRS Summons-Authorized Signer on Account Likes to Comply
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Call your attorney.

Return to Top
#2023013 - 06/25/15 03:10 PM Re: IRS Summons-Authorized Signer on Account Likes to Comply
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
I agree with Randy to call your attorney, but also re-read the summons to ensure what it covers. The last time I got one, it did include a sentence: "To include all accounts in which these individuals had signatory authority and/or the right of withdrawal." It was buried in all the other verbiage.

Return to Top
#2023029 - 06/25/15 03:35 PM Re: IRS Summons-Authorized Signer on Account Doug Hendrickson
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
Originally Posted By Doug Hendrickson
"To include all accounts in which these individuals had signatory authority and/or the right of withdrawal." It was buried in all the other verbiage.

This is what I was going to mention. This has become more and more common in the ones that I'm seeing.

Return to Top
#2023072 - 06/25/15 04:42 PM Re: IRS Summons-Authorized Signer on Account Likes to Comply
Likes to Comply Offline
Diamond Poster
In the mountains
I've read and re-read the summons and don't see anything about signatory authority and/or the right of withdrawal. I have, however, contacted our attorney. Thanks everyone for your help smile

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett