Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#2023825 - 06/29/15 06:43 PM Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Guess Peyton will be driving an Equus next year instead of a Buick

Quote:
DETROIT (AP) — The National Football League is getting a new official automotive sponsor: Hyundai.

The Korean automaker announced the sponsorship deal Monday, replacing General Motors Co. The deal gives Hyundai the ability to use NFL trademarks in its marketing and access to big events year-round such as the Super Bowl, playoffs and the widely watched draft of college players.

Hyundai Motor Co. wouldn't disclose how much it's paying, but it's likely close to what GM spent, about $25 million per year.

"There is no better venue to reach consumers," Hyundai Motor America CEO Dave Zuchowski said in a statement.

The automaker said the deal gives it a chance to show its products to the NFL's 188 million fans. Hyundai will launch its sponsorship during NFL kickoff activities on Sept. 10 .

General Motors' GMC brand had been an official NFL sponsor, but the company confirmed that it has decided not to renew the deal.

''We value our relationship with the NFL and its fans, but have decided to focus our sponsorship resources in other areas in the future," GM said in a statement.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2023876 - 06/29/15 08:11 PM Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL HappyGilmore
SeekingKnowledge Offline
100 Club
SeekingKnowledge
SC
Been driving Hyundais for years, great reliable cars!

Return to Top
#2023881 - 06/29/15 08:19 PM Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL HappyGilmore
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
Based solely on reviews and seeing the cars on the street, it would appear that Hyundai has really "upped their game" since the early days of the brand's importation.

Don't blame GM for dropping the NFL sponsorship as the NFL hasn't "upped their game." At least I won't be one who sees Hyundai's efforts to showcase it's products in association with the NFL for I'm no fan.

Return to Top
#2023883 - 06/29/15 08:31 PM Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL HappyGilmore
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
My wife drives a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. We really like it. It's very roomy and comfortable, and gets really good gas mileage. Huge trunk, too. We've had a couple electronic glitches that required a trip to the dealer. But overall it's been a good car.

Return to Top
#2023895 - 06/29/15 08:49 PM Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL HappyGilmore
GuitarDude Online
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
I've never owned a Hyundai but I read a lot of car reviews and publications and overall they are good cars. As noelekal mentions, a more recent Hyundai (along with sister brand Kia) is leaps and bounds above what they were when they were still new to the U.S. market.

Return to Top
#2023917 - 06/29/15 09:31 PM Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL HappyGilmore
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
Beats the 1998 (or so) Hyundai Sonota that a cousin bought new that had an engine problem within weeks of purchase. They took it back to the dealership who couldn't agree that anything was wrong until the engine threw a rod through the side of the crankcase right there in the service bay.

The cousin and his wife did receive a proper warranty adjustment.

I don't keep up with such things. So, is Kia kin to Hyundai? Are they built by the same company?

Return to Top
#2023921 - 06/29/15 09:44 PM Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL HappyGilmore
GuitarDude Online
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
I believe Hyundai owns part of Kia and they share a certain amount of design and components.

Return to Top
#2023926 - 06/29/15 10:10 PM Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL HappyGilmore
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
I rented a Hyundai Sonata last winter and it was a rental car, pure and simple. I'd consider a Genesis or an Equus, though.

Return to Top
#2023962 - 06/30/15 12:45 PM Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL HappyGilmore
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
my Dad is on his 2nd Azera, and I have to say, the new one is much nicer than the old one...very comfortable, roomy, power everything...

Return to Top
#2023967 - 06/30/15 12:58 PM Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL HappyGilmore
Bankster Offline
Diamond Poster
Yinzerville, PA
I know that the NFL cares only about the mighty dollar, but it just seems wrong on some level that they wouldn't partner with an American automaker.

Return to Top
#2023968 - 06/30/15 01:00 PM Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL HappyGilmore
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
My brother in law is an engineer for Honda America. He said that Hyundai is a force to be recon with. Said they have a tremendous learning curve and are every bit the car that Honda is.

He said that KIA too is make great inroads on quality.

Return to Top
#2023971 - 06/30/15 01:12 PM Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL Bankster
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Originally Posted By GoBucs
I know that the NFL cares only about the mighty dollar, but it just seems wrong on some level that they wouldn't partner with an American automaker.

I used to think that too, but then when you look at a Ford and see a large percentage of parts were sourced overseas and assembled in Mexico, and then a foreign maker with similar parts procurement but assembled here, who is really the American in the bunch anymore?

Return to Top
#2023977 - 06/30/15 01:29 PM Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL #Just Jay
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here

CAMS

Return to Top
#2023982 - 06/30/15 01:43 PM Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL HappyGilmore
Wolfy Offline
Wolfy
Mid West
My first Tiburan ran for over 250,000 miles and my second is over 120K and handles like anew car. Wife has it now so not sure how long it will last as maintenance is a evil word to her.

Return to Top
#2024008 - 06/30/15 02:28 PM Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL HappyGilmore
DoS Offline
Gold Star
DoS
one state over
they don't make a pick-up though ....

"Strip the Flesh, Salt the Wound" - Krieg

Return to Top
#2024018 - 06/30/15 02:37 PM Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL HappyGilmore
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
Bummer Wolfy! Maintenance is so cheap when compared with car payments or repair bills due to neglect.

Return to Top
#2024023 - 06/30/15 02:42 PM Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL #Just Jay
Bankster Offline
Diamond Poster
Yinzerville, PA
Originally Posted By #Just Jay
Originally Posted By GoBucs

I used to think that too, but then when you look at a Ford and see a large percentage of parts were sourced overseas and assembled in Mexico, and then a foreign maker with similar parts procurement but assembled here, who is really the American in the bunch anymore?

I know. We're losing our identity. Our Fords are from Mexico, our Budweiser is from South Africa, our blue jeans are from China, our game show hosts all have foreign accents, and now our NFL stars are going to be squeezing into hyundais.

Return to Top
#2024027 - 06/30/15 02:47 PM Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL HappyGilmore
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
For myself, I always wanted to drive a '50s Packard from Detroit.

Return to Top
#2024032 - 06/30/15 02:53 PM Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL HappyGilmore
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
umm, our Budweiser is brewed and bottled in USA...

Return to Top
#2024054 - 06/30/15 03:21 PM Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL noelekal
Hobbes Offline
100 Club
Hobbes
On a sled
Originally Posted By noelekal

The Packard brothers were from my hometown, and built cars there before they moved to Detroit. A bunch of things in town are named after them. There's a small museum in town, and every summer Packard owners from all over converge and have a car show. Some of those old ones are tanks, but the Caribbeans from the 50's are nice.

Back to Hyundai, I don't know what their high-end car is. What car will the Super Bowl MVP receive?

Return to Top
#2024058 - 06/30/15 03:26 PM Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL noelekal
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Originally Posted By noelekal

Who let Ward Cleaver in here?

Return to Top
#2024059 - 06/30/15 03:27 PM Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL HappyGilmore
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Hyundai Equus is their top car, but the Genesis is their premium middle offering. Nice cars.

Return to Top
#2024066 - 06/30/15 03:36 PM Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL HappyGilmore
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Originally Posted By HappyGilmore
umm, our Budweiser is brewed and bottled in USA...

Yeap, inside 270 in Worthington Ohio is one brewery.

Return to Top
#2024069 - 06/30/15 03:39 PM Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL HappyGilmore
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
Back to Hyundai, I don't know what their high-end car is. What car will the Super Bowl MVP receive?

Enough money to buy whatever car he wants. smirk laugh

Return to Top
#2024077 - 06/30/15 03:55 PM Re: Goodbye GM, hello Hyundai says NFL CompliantOkie
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By CompliantOkie

Enough money to buy whatever car he wants. smirk laugh

Inflation gauge

CAMS

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2