Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2024336 - 07/01/15 02:37 PM It's only a matter of time..
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Before the EPA takes Fireworks tradition away.

fireworks-fill-sky-with-more-than-pretty-colors

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2024340 - 07/01/15 02:41 PM Re: It's only a matter of time.. DD Regs
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
Is the article small enough to actually post it here? I can't click the link.

Return to Top
#2024343 - 07/01/15 02:43 PM Re: It's only a matter of time.. DD Regs
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
NEW YORK (AP) -

July Fourth fireworks fill the skies with more than sparkling bursts of color. A study says they spew pollution, too.

Researchers who checked 315 locations around the country found that the explosions temporarily boosted the levels of airborne microscopic particles.

The levels were more than twice normal at 9 p.m. and 10 p.m. on July 4. They tapered off overnight and fell back to normal by noon on July 5.

Other studies show inhaling such particles can cause a health risk. The new study didn't look for health effects.

But the Environmental Protection Agency says children, older adults, and people with heart disease, asthma or other lung diseases are considered to be particularly sensitive to particle pollution. The agency recommends that they watch fireworks from upwind.

(Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.) whistle

Return to Top
#2024345 - 07/01/15 02:45 PM Re: It's only a matter of time.. DD Regs
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Are we too late? These folks up in Washington are off the chain.

Return to Top
#2024347 - 07/01/15 02:47 PM Re: It's only a matter of time.. DD Regs
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
You're right. Sounds like they're heading in that direction.

Return to Top
#2024353 - 07/01/15 02:59 PM Re: It's only a matter of time.. DD Regs
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
"...o're the land of the free and the home of the brave."

We've not been free in some time in this nanny state of ours.

We're free to "enjoy" more bureaucracy then we could have ever dreamed possible. Our nation's founders would be furious with Americans, for several generations running, for meekly and inattentively submitting to ever more intrusive bureaucracy.

I'm sure they justify themselves by saying we need the "freedom" from microscopic airborne particles from 9 PM on July 4th to noon on the 5th. So they diminish American lives a bit more.

Return to Top
#2024356 - 07/01/15 03:00 PM Re: It's only a matter of time.. DD Regs
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Researchers who checked 315 locations around the country found that the explosions temporarily boosted the levels of airborne microscopic particles.

pretty much true also true when a group of assorted politicians get together.

CAMS

Return to Top
#2024358 - 07/01/15 03:02 PM Re: It's only a matter of time.. DD Regs
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
i was recently in Chicago, and stopped at a Target in a suburb, and was quite surprised to find fireworks for sale in Target...prominently displayed in the aisle right by the cash registers. in my neck of the woods, you go to a temporary tent that was put up outside of any city limits to purchase them, and only for the 7 days preceding July 4 and New Year Day...and sales must end by 10:00 PM on said days.

Return to Top
#2024365 - 07/01/15 03:09 PM Re: It's only a matter of time.. DD Regs
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
My city and all but one of the surrounding cities banned fireworks years ago, so people just go to the fireworks stands in that city (temporary ones like those Happy mentioned) to get their fireworks. Of course, I still sometimes hear firecrackers and M-80s, which have always been illegal, beginning about a week before July 4. I kind of wish fireworks were legal, but even in the best-case scenario where there are no fires or injuries, the streets are littered with them because people just leave them after they have been set off.

Return to Top
#2024367 - 07/01/15 03:13 PM Re: It's only a matter of time.. DD Regs
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
I've got 3 days of fireworks planned so take that EPA! Thursday we'll got to the little stand in town and buy some to shoot off at home with the kids. The money goes to our booster club. Then Friday night is "friend" 4th of July. We pooled money and bought a ton of fireworks to set off. Then Saturday is the town celebration where we all take our lawn chairs to the softball fields and listen to live music and wait for the fireworks show. That one benefits our volunteer fire dept. I love fireworks and this year we can set them off without fear of raging wildfires!!

Return to Top
#2024368 - 07/01/15 03:13 PM Re: It's only a matter of time.. DD Regs
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Happy,
Most fireworks are illegal in the State of Illinois. The only exceptions are novelty fireworks like sparklers, snakes and snap-n-pops. State law says approved fireworks must be labeled 1.4G consumer, which means they produce low-level aerial effects.

Return to Top
#2024375 - 07/01/15 03:20 PM Re: It's only a matter of time.. QCL
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
Originally Posted By QCL
Happy,
Most fireworks are illegal in the State of Illinois.

That's true. When I was a kid we had to have somebody's older brother drive to Indiana with our money and bring the stuff back. I still am amazed my parents allowed me to purchase and use illegal firecrackers when I was 12 or 13 or so.

Return to Top
#2024376 - 07/01/15 03:24 PM Re: It's only a matter of time.. DD Regs
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
In my town it is illegal which means you need to but them from the off duty NYPD cops that confiscated them from someone else.

CAMS

Return to Top
#2024379 - 07/01/15 03:27 PM Re: It's only a matter of time.. DD Regs
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Fireworks are illegal in Ohio, but they are allowed to sell them. We just have to sign a form stating that they will be taken out of the state to be discharged. crazy I know.

Return to Top
#2024386 - 07/01/15 03:36 PM Re: It's only a matter of time.. DD Regs
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Medical warnings regarding the adverse affects of fireworks as far as smoke and airborne particles are concerned have been out there for a very long time. My Dad had a heart condition and his dr always warned him to stay away from smokey environments like near fireworks. So, much as I agree with the 'nanny state' comment, this report is nothing new.

Return to Top
#2024389 - 07/01/15 03:41 PM Re: It's only a matter of time.. QCL
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted By QCL
Happy,
Most fireworks are illegal in the State of Illinois. The only exceptions are novelty fireworks like sparklers, snakes and snap-n-pops. State law says approved fireworks must be labeled 1.4G consumer, which means they produce low-level aerial effects.

then someone better tell the Target on E. Touhey and Mannheim in Rosemont, because they had bottle rockets, roman candles, the big canister for shooting the baseball size exploding starbursts...looked like just about every type available, in pre-made packages.

Return to Top
#2024452 - 07/01/15 05:14 PM Re: It's only a matter of time.. DD Regs
Hobbes Offline
100 Club
Hobbes
On a sled
Originally Posted By DD Regs
Fireworks are illegal in Ohio, but they are allowed to sell them. We just have to sign a form stating that they will be taken out of the state to be discharged. crazy I know.

Not anymore! They're still illegal, but you don't have to lie about it.

http://www.cleveland.com/tipoff/index.ssf/2015/07/fireworks_users_are_lawbreaker.html#incart_m-rpt-1

Here in SC there are roadside stands selling everything. They're legal to buy and set off. We always have some neighbors who buy a bunch and set them off. I just sit outside and watch theirs.

Return to Top
#2024481 - 07/01/15 05:48 PM Re: It's only a matter of time.. DD Regs
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
They finally legalized them in Georgia effective TODAY. We don't have to cross state lines anymore to buy the good stuff! smile!
Last edited by RR Joker; 07/01/15 05:48 PM.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2024486 - 07/01/15 05:54 PM Re: It's only a matter of time.. RR Joker
Cornfed Turtle Offline
Diamond Poster
"...Somewhere in Middle Americ...
We need a So' Dakotian to chime in here! Been some time since I've been there but I always liked that they would sell them to out-of-staters but you couldn't set them off in SD. In other words, take them home with you. My husband and I would get a chuckle out of neighboring states having a "sting" operation to check folks bringing then across the border. Given where we are from though, it's nice to have that be the "top story" on the news.

Return to Top