Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2025346 - 07/06/15 04:59 PM Software and value/usefulness to Community banks
Trees Offline
Power Poster
Once again, we are looking at software, namely the WiZ product and Centrax. Nice. However, we will still have the cobble together info about investments and donations on separate spreadsheets so the software programs will be only good for loan date. Nice reports, but still, only loan data. So, a question for community banks: have you purchased and are you using CRA software?

Return to Top
CRA
#2025365 - 07/06/15 05:39 PM Re: Software and value/usefulness to Community banks Trees
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
We use Centrax and now that I feel like I really know how to use it, it's very useful. I can run all the same reports that the examiners will see. It's very easy for me to track our loan progress which is essential for my bank. However I do wish there were some better solutions to track my CD services and inv. Right now I rely on good ole Excel to keep track of my CD activities.

Return to Top
#2025432 - 07/06/15 08:06 PM Re: Software and value/usefulness to Community banks Trees
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Out of curiosity - what do you think your bank would be willing to pay for a program that tracks your CD Investments, donations, CD loans, and perhaps helps you build a Performance Context and analysis?

Return to Top
#2025448 - 07/06/15 08:31 PM Re: Software and value/usefulness to Community banks Trees
Trees Offline
Power Poster
Princess Romeo, if it was able to extract data from different sources into one program, that would be very efficient and worth more than I would pay for WIZ and Centrax as they exist currently. Just the data alone, presented in the same format and providing a statistical summary would be useful as the summary, ideally would generally have the same look and feel as the loan reports. That help?

PS. Love the kitty.

Return to Top
#2025453 - 07/06/15 08:38 PM Re: Software and value/usefulness to Community banks Trees
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Good to know. I have been speaking with people working on software applications for banks, and this is a good idea to send along.

However, when it comes to Community Development Services and donations, I am not sure from what data source the software would pull unless you simply enter the information manually - perhaps in a standardized reporting format.

PS - Thanks!

Return to Top
#2025461 - 07/06/15 09:09 PM Re: Software and value/usefulness to Community banks Trees
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Angel Points is available for service tracking.

https://www.microedge.com/WhoWeServe/Financial.aspx

https://www.microedge.com/Products/AngelPoints_Volunteering.aspx

The company, MicroEdge, is big in the not for profit space with foundations, etc.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#2025488 - 07/06/15 11:07 PM Re: Software and value/usefulness to Community banks Trees
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
I would imagine the Employee Volunteering may be geared for those companies that match donations based on the number of hours an employee volunteers for a charity. My little non-profit has received a donation for the hours served by one of our volunteers.

I don't know if that would necessarily address the Community Development component that is needed for a CRA Exam - i.e. document not only the hours but the type of service and how it relates to CD and how the organization provides services for low-mod individuals and/or small business.

Return to Top
#2025490 - 07/07/15 12:17 AM Re: Software and value/usefulness to Community banks Trees

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Actually, they have a set up developed for banks, for CRA.

Return to Top
#2025491 - 07/07/15 12:36 AM Re: Software and value/usefulness to Community banks Trees

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard

Return to Top
#2025530 - 07/07/15 01:45 PM Re: Software and value/usefulness to Community banks Trees
I'm Not A Banker Offline
I'm Not A Banker
We use CenTrax and I like it. I'm new to it but have not found any data that I want that isn't in CenTrax. We also started using c/dTrax, which tracks the service side. You have to manually enter data but I'm hoping to get to a point where employees can enter their own volunteer hours and I enter the donations and misc. things. It has the capability of tracking investments too but our CFO tracks that and sends me the info annually and/or when I ask for it so I don't use that part of it.

Return to Top
#2025551 - 07/07/15 02:12 PM Re: Software and value/usefulness to Community banks Trees
Combustible Offline
Diamond Poster
Kathleen--As Internal Auditors, we are setting up our first ever CRA Review--I'm stumped. Not happy with the OCC's program-am wondering if you have a program you might let us view?

Return to Top
#2025552 - 07/07/15 02:15 PM Re: Software and value/usefulness to Community banks Trees
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
I may look into the c/dTrax. Right now my employees enter their info on a web form on our intranet. Then the data comes to me to compile and track by AA. It's much better than when I started. The system was basically a questionnaire the CO was sending out annually!!! That was a mess!

Return to Top
#2025618 - 07/07/15 04:13 PM Re: Software and value/usefulness to Community banks Trees
Trees Offline
Power Poster
Good comments, everyone. We are also struggling with the purpose section of the spreadsheets we prepare for the loans outside of those that fall in the small business definition but that are eligible for CRA. Have any of you found a way to automate that part of the report? We don't see a way around this, however, maybe for years we have been adding to the report info that isn't necessary for the report but that resides on support documentation.

Return to Top
#2025622 - 07/07/15 04:16 PM Re: Software and value/usefulness to Community banks CompliantOkie

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Originally Posted By CompliantOkie
I may look into the c/dTrax. Right now my employees enter their info on a web form on our intranet. Then the data comes to me to compile and track by AA. It's much better than when I started. The system was basically a questionnaire the CO was sending out annually!!! That was a mess!

Banks can use free survey software (like SurveyMonkey and TypeForm) to have staff enter their services. That can then be exported to Excel. Saves a lot of typing.

Return to Top
#2025750 - 07/07/15 08:16 PM Re: Software and value/usefulness to Community banks Trees
Len S Offline
Diamond Poster
Connecticut
"Community Development" as defined in CRA is complicated and convoluted. By its nature it would be very difficult to automate. In fact, I would be leery of any automated solution because you have to have a qualified activity that meets one of the 4 definitions and also fulfills the "primary purpose" which can be fulfilled in one of two ways. Furthermore, with respect to community services, there are different ways that can be measured. Finally, anything you can do that measures the "impact" on the community would be very helpful, but may be difficult to quantify.

About the best thing you can do is to educate personnel about "Community Development" and develop a form to capture relevant information for a potential community development activity. Always include which CD definition applies to the activity and an explanation of why it qualifies and then what documents you have to support the qualifications and the benefits.

Return to Top
#2030787 - 07/30/15 04:11 PM Re: Software and value/usefulness to Community banks Trees
Lori01 Offline
100 Club
VT
I just signed on with a company called Kadince. Have not used it yet but the demo looks great. We find our CD services and donation often go to the same non-profits. With this I will be able to enter the org once (including backup docs to prove they are qualified) then track future donations and have staff input volunteer work in one place.

Return to Top
#2068119 - 03/08/16 09:03 PM Re: Software and value/usefulness to Community banks Trees
PorcelainDoll Offline
The West
Just received an invitation for a demo from them. Anyone else using?

Return to Top
#2068138 - 03/08/16 10:08 PM Re: Software and value/usefulness to Community banks Trees

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
I watched an in person demo and it was great. Have spoken to some banks who use it and they are pleased.

Return to Top
#2068145 - 03/08/16 10:26 PM Re: Software and value/usefulness to Community banks Trees
JC (Darth HMDA) Offline
Diamond Poster
JC (Darth HMDA)
CA
We use CenTrax and I have been very happy with the software. We do not use CDTrax but I have viewed demos and it looks worthwhile, just requires manual entry.

I saw a Kadince demo as well and it looked very helpful, but I don't recall the price point.

Return to Top
#2068194 - 03/09/16 03:16 PM Re: Software and value/usefulness to Community banks Trees
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
I like Kadince a lot! I've only been using it for about 2 months though. The owners/developers are very helpful.

Return to Top
#2069417 - 03/15/16 09:26 PM Re: Software and value/usefulness to Community banks Trees
KelliD Offline
Does anyone know the price point for AngelPoints system?

Return to Top
#2069799 - 03/17/16 04:23 PM Re: Software and value/usefulness to Community banks Trees
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
Nope, but we use it as well. The decision was made before I joined. We use Kadince for donations and AngelPoints for activities.

Return to Top
#2070228 - 03/21/16 05:38 PM Re: Software and value/usefulness to Community banks Trees
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
I have used Wiz the most out of anything. The learning curve is steep with but it have many great features and well worth it if you use it right.

I've also used RATA which I like the most, it's got a microsoft office type feel to it, very easy to get used to. I liked this one the best but used it the lest.

I currently use Centrax and it's clunky, I don't like it at all. I have to learn to love it for at least a couple more years! crazy

We got Angel Points only to discover our technology wasn't up to snuff so we weren't able to use it. I'm not sure it that has been resolved yet (it belongs in another department) so just a warning: even though it seems like it would be very simple, be sure to check out your system capabilities before purchasing it to make sure you can run it.

Return to Top
#2070810 - 03/24/16 06:00 PM Re: Software and value/usefulness to Community banks Trees
CRA Ray Offline
New Poster
Alabama - Florida
CenTrax has been a useful and reliable resource. The support team are always available and flexible. They have industry expertise that provide great feedback when necessary.

Kadince is another useful tool for CD activities. I'd highly recommend making the effort and scheduling a demo to see how effective the tool can be.

Return to Top